It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: When to start Clonidine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:20 pm 
At what dose of sub should I start taking clonidine? What has worked for everyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:04 pm 
HI Sherry, This is what my doctor told me. The clonidine is an alpha blocker and help suppress the sympathetic nervous system that seems to go in to hyperdrive during withdrawal. Essentially it is an old blood pressure med. It is used for anxiey, cramps, sweats and elevated b/p.

I am doing a rapid med detox at home. 8mg to .125mg, reducing every 4th day. The doctor advised to use the clonidine .5-1mg every six hours the first 3 days of suboxone for symptoms and to use it when I got to .5mg and started having withdrawal symptoms. I go to .25 mg tomorrow and it has helped tremendously, especially with the shakes, blood pressure and sweats. You do have to watch your b/p, and be aware if you become dizzy or lightheaded.

I am sure others will chime in with their experience. This is all very new to me.

Best of luck!!

Robin

Post subject: clonidine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i am currently 72 hours off of subs and I have been taking clonidine since I could feel the w/d symptoms at about 20 hours in. I think they help a LOT, I only take a half of a .1 at a time because it makes me dopey and slow. It has helped a lot at night when I take a whole.

I would suggest waiting until you feel sick and then taking a half of a .1 and see if it works.

Good luck

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

For me clonidine helps with hot/cold sweats (most annoying w/d symptom for me) the most and to a small extent with sleep and anxiety.

I start it out as soon as I get the sweats. Take 0.1mg every 4-6 hours, that's what my bottle says.

The only downfall is weakness. Since your bp drops and w/d itself usually causes weakness, clonidine will cause more weakness.

But it's still better than being hot one second and cold the next. Clonidine pretty much takes that symptoms away totally for me and makes it so much more comfortable to do things.

It is IMO the best w/d medication there is. I stopped sub at 1mg and took nothing else other than clonidine for the first 8 or so days and I was alright.