It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: When should I stop?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on sub for about 2 and a half months. I have been feeling great! I started off at 24mg but self tapered down to about 12mg a day. My doctor is the type the wants me to stay on it for the long haul but I don't feel that I want or need to. I have had over a year of clean time without sub in the past. It was mainly back pain that got me started on the pain meds again. I had another back surgery awhile back and have no pain at all. Since pain was my biggest trigger for relapse do you all think I would be okay tapering off after only being on it for about 3 months? I know this should be up to my doctor and myself but I don't feel he will be okay with it. He is big on everyone being on sub for at least a year so I'm not sure how much help he will be. I am going to talk it over with him but I would love to have other people's opinions.
Also, since I have only been on sub for about 3 months will that make the withdrawals easier then if I was on it for a year? I am going to use he liquid taper method and take it very slow so I may end up being on it for about 6 months or so although towards the end I will be on a very low dose and then go every other day. I"m going to get a taper plan together and get it on paper so I can follow it to a "T".
Any advice or opinions are welcome!
Thank you all in advance!

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi bmdad,
It's good to hear you're doing well. Planning a long and slow taper via the liquid method I think is smart. I really don't know what kind of withdrawals you'll have from being on sub only three months. Have you considered that the suboxone might be helping your pain a bit? What will you do if you go off it and your pain returns? I think your long-term sobriety will depend a lot on what kind of recovery plan you have in place for after you stop. I don't think that only being on it for three months and not longer will necessarily doom you to relapse. Everyone is different and has a different drug history. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I just wanted to show you my support and throw in my two cents. Take care and keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

"I know this should be up to my doctor and myself but I don't feel he will be okay with it. He is big on everyone being on sub for at least a year so I'm not sure how much help he will be. I am going to talk it over with him but I would love to have other people's opinions."

So, in other words, it seems like you are looking for people to agree with you rather than with your doctor? And just in case I am not correct about that you also state:

"My doctor is the type the wants me to stay on it for the long haul but I don't feel that I want or need to."

I really have to wonder why you would take what a bunch of other addicts "feel" rather than what your doctor "thinks" Your recovery is not about "feelings" It is what we addicts think and feel that have gotten us into the situations that we are in. Please listen to your doctor - long before other addicts. And lest you think I'm dumping on drug addicts - I AM ONE!!! Your doctor likely has years of experience. I know he/she has many, many years of education, training, practice and internship. On top of that, the statistics are pretty clear. The shorter amount of time you are on Suboxone or just in treatment for that matter, the greater chance of relapse.

This happens all of the time - and not only with Suboxone. We feel so much better when on medication. We feel "normal". Whether its an SSRI, Suboxone or even a water or heart pill. The medication does its job and makes us feel like, well hell, we don't need this medication any more. Statistically, there just is no argument here. You are going to be at greater risk for relapse if you stop your Suboxone. That is very likely why your doctor is "big on everyone being on sub for at least a year." It is because he has seen all sorts of his patients relapse when they stop Suboxone after only a few months.

I'm sure you already have guessed that I agree with your doctor. I'm honestly not trying to come down on you here. I am just hoping that you'll see that asking a bunch of other opiate addicts to side with you on this is not going to help you. Although, perhaps if all or most of us suggest that you listen to your doctor, perhaps you will. I'm not saying you need to stay on Sub forever. I'm not even saying you don't. In fact, I'm only saying one thing:

LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR!

I'm glad you stopped by here and hope you'll stick around and continue to post with all of us.