It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I take 4 mg. a day, sometimes 2 more at night if my legs ache. Is this wrong I hve chronic pain and this helps, without eating 10 to 20 Lortabs a day or 200mg of oxicontin, whatever. I have my life back, it's been almost 2 yrs and I really don't think or worry about stopping. Is this wrong?

Post subject: 'Wrong'
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know why in the world it would be wrong to take 4-6 mg a day, even indefinitely. I'm curious if there's someone in your life who is making you feel like you shouldn't be taking the Suboxone. I think that if you have chronic pain and are able to get relief at that low a level, you are pretty lucky. If everything in your life is going well, why try to fix something that ain't broke? I've been on Sub since 2005 and just recently decided I wanted to tackle coming off it. I've been terrified that the length of time I spent on it would make that next to impossible, but so far it's not that bad. I was up to 32 mg for quite a while and now I'm down to 1.75 and I'm stable. So, I don't think it does anything permanent to your body. You may feel like you need to take it forever, or you may decide in a few years that you want to taper off. Really, all your options are open and if you are doing well on this amount, I wouldn't sweat it. There's nothing 'wrong' with it, IMO.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:52 pm 
Hi Jeff! I agree with Laddertripper on this one. It sounds like you're doing, well, really great with the dose you're on currently. I can't see any reason to change a thing. I know how you feel though....being on Suboxone for a while (over a year or two) sometimes we start to wonder if it's somehow 'wrong' to be on the medication for so long. Well, you nailed it when you said something like "it beats eating a bunch of Lortab or oxy everyday!" Honestly 4-6 mg /day of Suboxone, especially for someone who suffers chronic pain, is a very reasonable dose, in my opinion.
Also, as you said....You have your life back! That is huge! Why mess with success?!
If you're willing to, please come back and share more of your story. Perhaps talk about what brought these thoughts of wondering if it's okay to stay on Sub to enter your mind.
Honestly it sounds like you're in a pretty good spot....be proud of what you've accomplished and just keep moving forward is what I recommend. I've heard many times that if you're one of the people who may be able to come off Sub successfully and not relapse....you'll know inside yourself when that time comes. For now, maybe just enjoy your freedom!
Please come back often!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If 4-6 mg works for your cravings and your chronic pain, then it's the "right" dose for you. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Some people do take more than that for chronic pain, which is totally irrelevant to you. What's the most important is what works for YOU. Try not to compare your dose to that of anyone else. Hope this helps. And welcome to the forum!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: In Agreement
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:41 pm 

I'm with the rest. If you find relief staying on it, and you feel okay being on it the rest of your life, so be it. I take Lipitor and a couple others that I know I will be on for life. And if Sub happens to be one of those, again, so be it. I'll take it and be a productive member of society.

Good luck to you and don't worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If I were you, I certainly wouldn't be worried about taking Suboxone and I wouldn't be worried about quitting either.

It's managing your pain, your dose isn't very high and more importantly, you're not eating 10 or 20 Lortabs a day!