It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello I have just been notified that my dr's office is going to stop giving out suboxone. I think they said a month. Dont talk to my Dr. until tuesday and want to start tapering now. How low can I go from 16mg daily without feeling any side effects.

Also this kind of angers me is'nt this negligence on the Dr's part? Once they take you in they should be treating you until the end.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Tapering is a long process but you should drop to 8mgs asap. From there try and get to 3mgs. You want to get as low as possible, like .5, .25 or even .125mgs. I dont know if you stocked up but I dont think a month is long enough to taper without sides. Better make them last now or you will be hurting. If you can try and reduce the amount every 72hrs but will be better than stopping 16mgs at once.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

They should at least provide you with a referral to another doctor who can continue your treatment. If they don't offer to do so (which they should just as a matter of good business) I would definitely ask them to do so. They should also assist you with getting an appointment with the new doctor before you need a refill.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Shit, what a horrible thing for doctors to do to their patients with only a months notice.... They're going to be writing a lot of Rx for clonidine and sleeping aids here in the near future!!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:22 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I went from 16 to 4mgs really easy. 4mgs I think is about the "ceiling" with Suboxone. I would ask your Dr. to write you 24mgs a day and a refill if he or she will, to help you out. This is a lesson learned for everyone that this could happen to any one of us at any time! I recommend you start using a liquid taper with alcohol, not water. (You can get some extra mileage out of your Suboxone with alcohol because of more absorption rate) I know this might sound funny, but if you read some of my threads you will understand what I am talking about. If you still have questions just PM me. What a shitty thing to do to someone, but it has happened to me a couple of times under different circumstances so I know what you are going through.
Just trying to help,
Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

happyg1961 wrote:
I went from 16 to 4mgs really easy. 4mgs I think is about the "ceiling" with Suboxone. I would ask your Dr. to write you 24mgs a day and a refill if he or she will, to help you out. This is a lesson learned for everyone that this could happen to any one of us at any time! I recommend you start using a liquid taper with alcohol, not water. (You can get some extra mileage out of your Suboxone with alcohol because of more absorption rate) I know this might sound funny, but if you read some of my threads you will understand what I am talking about. If you still have questions just PM me. What a shitty thing to do to someone, but it has happened to me a couple of times under different circumstances so I know what you are going through.
Just trying to help,
Happy

Understand that Happyg1961 is suggesting the prescription of 24mg/day in order for you to get a "backup stock"...not suggesting you take that much. Like was suggested, you should probably go down to 8mg immediately, and try even lower if you can.

Thanks,
Morphing

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:51 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

When I was tapering, I didn't feel one single drop in dose until I started below 2mg. I went pretty darn fast too, dropping by 50% every 4th day until I got to 2mg. Then I had to take it slower. I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't utilize the liquid method until below 2mg. I used water, it was potent. Felt the dose more at .5mg liquid than I ever did taking it sublingual.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:57 pm 

You've gotten very good advice here, Rusty. I wanted to chime in and say that I'm sorry your doctor is abandoning you and other patients. Morphing is absolutely right in that they should be trying to help you find another doctor. If they won't help you, try the tab at the top of the page called "Find Suboxone Doctors". Another thing you could try is to contact the local pharmacists and see if they will tell you who is prescribing sub locally.

Going from 16 mg down to 4 to 6 mg should be fairly painless. Like others have suggested, I would ask your doctor to prescribe you one last month of 24 mg/day to give you extra time to taper down or find a new doctor.

Let us know how it goes so we can help you if you need it. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:18 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Amy,
Great idea about contacting the pharmacist! Just wanted to tell you that's so smart, I would've never thought of that :)

Thanks for all you do around here and all the super support you have given not only myself but EVERYONE here. You consistently go above and beyond for total strangers seeking support and advice.

THANK YOU!!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:28 pm 

Thank you for the kind words fishy. :)

It was another member who mentioned the pharmacy idea in a post. I would give credit to the member, but I can't remember his or her name!

Amy