It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello. This is my first post. I have been reading the forum for almost six months, every since I got clean and started on Suboxone. Thank you all, even though you did not know it, you provided me with a great deal of support, just by reading other posts. Anyway, on to my question. What do you do if you have an issue that causes a great deal of pain while you are taking suboxone? I have fibromyalgia, this is how I ended up on pain killers, and eventually dependant on them. I now have a ruptured disk in my back, and am awaiting my visit with a neuro surgeon..but that won't be for some time. I am in so much pain sometimes. Like last night, I woke up in discomfort, and then got up to take some naprosyn(like Aleve) welll, I bent over just right and ended up sobbing. I have never done that before due to pain, as I said, I have fibro so I am pretty used to "grinning and bearing it" But this was horrible shooting, throbbing, unrelenting pain. Eventually, my husband had to help me get back into bed and with ice, a muscle relaxer, and half a Sub. I got back to sleep. Is there any medicine to take with Suboxone that is non narcotic that works for pain? I know they say that suboxone should work, and it does right after I take it, but the pain benefit seems to wear off before it is time to take the next one. I don't want to get into trouble again by taking "just one more" to help with pain like I did with the pain killers.(which were oxy's) We all know where that went....but I am hitting a brick wall. I asked my sub doc what happens if I have pain issues and he asked if I was looking for an excuse to use again. This totally offended me. If we could have had an actual conversation about this, maybe I would be in this situation not knowing what to do. Thanks to anyone who will or can answer. This forum is awesome and has been a God send to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi mrssky and welcome to the forum. I'm so glad it's been helpful to you, even as a lurker.

I have fibro as well, so I know from where you're coming. I recently did something to my back as well and had some acute pain to deal with. First, how often do you take your sub? Sub's pain properties only last on average 4-6 hours, so make sure you're dosing often enough. I usually dose 2-3 times a day (8 mg), depending on how bad my pain is; most days I only take 16 mg, but when my back was bad or when my fibro is flared up, I take up to 24 mg.

I augment my treatment with muscle relaxers as well. I just switched to a new one and that made a world of difference! In fact it was just what I needed for that acute back issue I was having. My rheumatologist said muscle relaxants are like antidepressants in that you have to find the one that works best for you. I didn't realize how poorly my last one was working until I got onto this new one.

Also, when I'm in bad shape my doctor lets me come in for a shot of Toradol. That's something you could check into with your doctor.

Otherwise, you could check into alternative therapies like meditation for pain and even acupuncture. These things do help some people and it might be worth a try.

Again, welcome to the forum. I hope this helps. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm currently dosing at 16mg. (two 8's a day) Does your sub dr. just let u go up and down as needed. I hate to call and ask him about taking an extra one for pain because of the comment he made about looking for an excuse to use. which I don't understand as I checked myself into rehab and have been 100% dedicated to recovery. Ive done everything I have been asked to do by him and my counselor and then some. I absolutly don't want to go back to the hell i had been living. anyway.. maybe I need to just bite the bullet and call him and see where it goes. Thanks.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello and welcome,
I to have chronic pain, back fusion and neck fusion,so I undersatnd were you coming from. Like you subs helps my pain for the most part then I have days were it doesn't. I also take 3 times daily for pain and I usaully do it around the same time everyday. When it is bad I take 3 advil and hot showers help alot.
Most subs Dr are used to hearing alot of stories through out their day so it takes awhile to earn their trust i'm coming to understand. All we can do is keep being honest and hope one day they will learn to trust us.
Glad subs are working well for you for the most part.

Mel :wink: