It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:19 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

First of all, I'm not sure if I am posting this in the correct section;
so- Mods- please feel free to move it if necessary.

Anyway, yesterday, I woke up around 7 am with severe, acute pain that was localized in my ribs-
directly beneath my right breast. I took 2 Aleve and 1 tylenol, but it didn't go away.
I debated about going to see my PCP- who is open on Saturdays til noon- but I ended up not going there.

Around 4:30 PM, or so, the pain was around a 5- and was persisting. So, I called my insurance's helpline-
to see if I should go into the ER. Well, a Registered Nurse had called me back, and asked me about 25 questions.
After her questions, she then advised me to be seen within 4 hours at an Urgent Care Center-
which we do not have in this small town- only the ER. So, I got my shoes and jacket on, and got my neighbor
to drive me to the ER, which is only several blocks away. (I was in way too much pain to walk there.)

So, I get to the ER around 5:45 PM. They check me in, and get me into an exam room. Well, I waited almost 2
hours to see the ER Dr. She orders a bunch of tests; and- in my IV line- she gives me Dilaudid, Zofran, and
something else- I think it is called "Protonix" or something like that. (Yes, I had told them upon check-in
that I am on Suboxone @ 4 mg per day.) I get a CT scan of my abdobmen, and they find a kidney stone-
BUT this doctor tells me that this stone is NOT the cause of my extreme, localized pain.

After the CT scan, I request another shot of pain medicine. She agreed to this... UNTIL she REALIZES that
I am on Suboxone! This is what she barges in the room saying: "I didn't realize that you are on Suboxone.
So, I am not giving you another shot in your IV line for pain." I reply with an "Okay".

Finally, around a little bit before 10 PM, she tells me that I can go home. The nurse takes out my IV line, etc.
Then the nurse gives me 2 Vicodins in a little bottle (which I take as soon as I leave the ER), and 2 scripts:
1 for Prilosec, and 1 for fifteen Vicodins.

Now, here is what I am wondering what I should do:
Should I dispose of this Vicodin script? Or should I get it filled?
Or should I call my sub doc and ask him?

What would you do if you were in this situation?

Thanks!

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow - so you left the ER without a dx? That sucks! But you still have the same pain? I'd definitely tell my sub doctor about all of it. As for filling the script, that's entirely up to you, depending on your pain level and how you feel about taking full opiate agonists again. Keep in mind that depending on the strength of the vic's they gave you, they may or may not even get through the sub you're on to help the pain.

I'm sorry I haven't any better advice to give you. Good luck and please do let us know how you're doing. I hope the pain subsides soon and if not that they can figure out what it is - and soon!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hatmaker510 wrote:
Wow - so you left the ER without a dx? That sucks! But you still have the same pain? I'd definitely tell my sub doctor about all of it. As for filling the script, that's entirely up to you, depending on your pain level and how you feel about taking full opiate agonists again. Keep in mind that depending on the strength of the vic's they gave you, they may or may not even get through the sub you're on to help the pain.

I'm sorry I haven't any better advice to give you. Good luck and please do let us know how you're doing. I hope the pain subsides soon and if not that they can figure out what it is - and soon!

Hatmaker: Yes, that is correct: I left the ER last night without a firm diagnosis-
except for "abdominal pain"- when the pain is actually located in my chest.

And yes, I told my sub doctor about ALL of my experience- in an e-mail to him that I had written
this morning. Actually, I texted him about my pain yesterday, and he did say that I was allowed to
dose an extra 4 mg of sub for this pain- but only ONCE. (I do not see him until Nov. 21st, though.)
I did dose that extra 4 mg of sub today- and it DID help my pain.

As well, I am taking Aleve and Tylenol together, and I am applying a Ben-gay-like cream to the
affected area, which does seem to help.

However, I have limited my activities, at least until this pain subsides. For example, I have stopped walking
to and from places around town- because walking makes it worse.

I will keep you posted on what happens with this. I just wish that ER doctors would be a lot
more knowledgeable and educated about Sub- instead of seeing it as a "red flag".

And, as far as the Vicodin script goes, I have firmly decided to forgo it- I have decided that
filling it and ingesting them would really be just a big waste. I will call my PCP tomorrow, bright and early.

Thanks for replying!

-ex-

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry you didn't get an answer, hopefully your pain will subside. I have the same experience with ERs, they just wanna pump you full of pain meds (unless your on sub) and then they say huh, I don't know why you are in pain have a nice day. In my experience emergency room drs are a huge waste of time unless of course your pain is so bad that you need narcotics. I have been sent on my way a few times with no explanation. I hope your pcp can get it figured out. Take care!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:04 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for your kind words, Breezy.

I have it figured out now.

Sometimes, just writing it all out seems to help me decide what to do.

You Take care, too.

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Exorphin!

I know Hat asked you this but, HOW DO YOU feel about taking a full-agonist?

I know it scares the shit outta me, just thinking about it!

That being said.....just because we're on Sub, dosen't mean we should hafta suffer OR be denied ADEQUATE pain relief!

I had a baby boy (via c-section) almost seven months ago.

And, I hafta tell ya.......I was in ALOT of pain once my IV and pain pump were taken out. I could've had full-agonists, but "I" was totally against it. Instead, my OB and I decided upon using a pain pump at the surgical site (which pumped anesthetic into my incision), and I received Toradol in my IV. This worked beautifully for me. I highly recommend IV Toradol.

Upon release, I was given Toradol tablets (which DIDN'T work very well for me), and 800mg IBProphen.

This combined this with my Sub, made the pain tolerable. Im prescribed 16mg Subutex, but my Sub doctor allowed me to take up to 8mg extra/a day.......FOR PAIN......IF NEEDED.

You're on a fairly low dose right now for maintainance. Im kinda surprised that your Sub doctor will only allow you to dose an extra 4mg ONCE. Is this just until you find out whats causing the pain? It seems as though your Sub doc would rather you take a little extra Sub for a few days (or until you get your pain under control), then to resort to regular pain pills.

If you don't feel any better tomorrow, maybe you should consider talking to your sub doctor again. Maybe he could call in a few extra Subs for you? IDK, just a thought.

In any case, I hope you get to feeling better soon. I hate that you were treated poorly by a medical professional. But, Im pleased that you informed the ER about you taking Sub. Thats really important and responsible!

Post subject: Just an Update...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:58 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

marie wrote:
Hi Exorphin!

<snip>
You're on a fairly low dose right now for maintainance. Im kinda surprised that your Sub doctor will only allow you to dose an extra 4mg ONCE. Is this just until you find out whats causing the pain? It seems as though your Sub doc would rather you take a little extra Sub for a few days (or until you get your pain under control), then to resort to regular pain pills.

If you don't feel any better tomorrow, maybe you should consider talking to your sub doctor again. Maybe he could call in a few extra Subs for you? IDK, just a thought.

In any case, I hope you get to feeling better soon. I hate that you were treated poorly by a medical professional. But, Im pleased that you informed the ER about you taking Sub. Thats really important and responsible!

Hi, marie- and thank you for your kind words and for your reply.

My sub doc is kind of limited by my insurance (Medicaid) in how much sub he can prescribe for me.

Anyway, I am feeling much better today- or else I am just getting used to the pain. I am using a Ben-gay-like
muscle rub on the affected area- and am taking Aleve with Tylenol- to treat the pain- which is at about a "3"
right now.

I called my PCP's office first thing this morning, but was directed to her nurse's voice mail. So, I left a voice mail
message for the nurse around 10 AM, and still have yet to hear back from her.

I am really trying to be patient and understanding with my health care professionals.

I have not been to the ER (before this incident) for at least 10 years;
so, I just hope that they do NOT think that I was - or am - trying to get some pain pills-
because that just is NOT the case here with me.

I still have the Vicodin Rx; and I am going to present it to my sub Dr. on the 21st of this month-
to prove that I have not filled it. (Even after almost 7 years, there are still some underlying
"trust"- or should I say "mistrust"?- issues that I believe are still present with my sub doctor
that I have to deal with.)

With all of that said, I do believe that the majority of ER doctors are really NOT very knowledgeable
or educated about Suboxone and treatment of acute pain.

Thanks for letting me share,

-ex-