It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: What worked for me
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello, When I was induced (May 21st,2012) I learned that it was important to be induced on the lowest effective dose. What I did was take 4 mg and waited for an hour, i felt ok, not great but not bad, so that was it. i did take, 6 hrs later,about 1 mg but the next day I went to 4 mg and was just fine. Within a week i was splitting my doses in half, one half when i got up in the am, and one around 3-5 in the afternoon. Splitting doses always helped me a little with pain control. Induction is really important, my experience is that sub is very strong and I needed to give it the time to work without freaking out that i needed more. This helped me to get at the lowest effective dose so I could start my tapering plan A.S.A.P. My point is, for anybody, whether you will be long term or short term, find the lowest effective dose FOR YOU! Whether you stay on sub for years or weeks doesnt matter. Try not to overmedicate if you can. The docs usually give too much, be in control of the situation for yourself, take comfort in the fact you will find the right dose for you and you will be ok. I have learned a lot from all of you here on this forum, take care. Replys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Justdoit4u (I like your screen name),

Welcome to the forum!!!

That's a good point you bring up about not being on too much Suboxone. I'm pretty sure a lot of us were inducted onto way too high a dose and it actually raised our tolerance from where we were on our drug of choice. I know it happened to me.

I think I read on another thread that you're already well into your taper, good job!! I think (?) I also read that your doing some kind of therapy? If you're not, I would highly suggest it. Getting off of drugs and staying off of drugs are two separate things entirely. I hope you're looking into some kind of recovery for yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Justdoit4u! Welcome to the forum!

I am still kind of new around here myself. I was induced on July 2nd, so about a month after you. I too was prescribed, in my opinion, too much to start with. 16mg, 2 8mg strips a day. I started out by taking about a quarter of a strip at first. I waited and took more throughout the day. I felt kind of nauseated and dizzy for about the first 3 days, almost a week while I went up and down on my dosage trying to find what worked best for me. A few times I took the full 16mg's, but I soon found out that I could easily get by on 8mg without my mind telling me that I needed more. On most days now, I take a total of 4 to 6mg. It depends on my pain level mostly. I have some bulging discs in my back and was taking up to 200mg of norco a day before switching to subs. The sub works so much better for me in controling my pain that I never have to take more than 8mg on any day now and that feels fantastic to me to not have to take so many pills, they never controlled the pain very well or for very long any way. I have found that taking 4mg and splitting it up into two doses a day controls my cravings for my DOC as well. I haven't had one slip up since I started and I don't ever have those thoughts of getting "high" anymore, thank God for that.

I agree with you 100% that everyone needs to kind of take matters into their own hands. Not by playing dr or trying to treat ourselves or thinking that we know best like we did when we were in active addiction, but if you feel that your dr. is prescribing too high a dose of sub, take less and take what works for you! I still get my full prescription filled and I keep what I have left over because I want to eventually taper off and I feel very strongely that I'll be able to do that, but I also want to be sure that I have enough sub that I can do it as slowly and as easily as I feel comfortable with.

Again, welcome to the forum, I really liked your post! I have to agree with Romeo here too... I think most of us were induced on way too high a dose and that can lead to building up a high tolerance, very quickly. Suboxone is a very strong drug. I do know that there are some folks on here that definitely need a higher dose and I don't think anything negative of those that do. One example, Goinstrong (a member on here) actually needed her dose adjusted and raised, and she has a very legitimate reason for needing her dose upped. Her and I talk sometimes about our treatment and she has pain that wasn't being controlled on the dose she was taking. In her case and cases like hers, a higher dose is needed. It all comes down to the fact that we're all different and we all have different needs and we all have to find the dose that works for us!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Thanks !
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks Romeo and Invisible Shadow( I do love all the cool user names), Romeo, yes, i am doing counseling twice a week. Counseling, for me, is a must for me to really be in recovery. I have soooooo many triggers that I need to understand. How I react to "normal" life is not like most people. But most of you here know what I am talking about, our brains are different, I do not want to talk about others, but I do see a lot of similarities in our stories. My counselor is 30 years clean and sober, and before that, he had 30 years of addiction!!! His story is crazy, like a lot of ours. Talking to him has been great for me. Anyway thanks for sharing and Invisible shadow, great that you found out what YOU needed, that is the key, the other thing I am learning is the huge "mind game" that addiction has. I cannot stress that enough, especially early on, how much our brains and thinking is so set on using something. Well anyway, i hope to continue writing to you all.

Post subject: just to clarify
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi, I just read my own post, and thought, wow it seems as though everything for me was real easy. I did not want it to sound that way. The best thing that happened to me was that I was able to get the right information from a lot of sources, got educated about sub., and best of all, listened, to all of your experiences here. With all of that, i was able to understand that there are similarities and differences between all of us. There is no text book answer while inducing or using sub for that matter. I was so mentally convinced that I only needed 4mg to be stable, I think that had a huge impact on me. I also know that if you use drugs for long periods of time, those receptor sites, in a persons brain, could have developed more. In turn those people might need more to get stable. I remember getting dizzy and felt funny. A little sweat, runny nose and eyes, but I new what to expect, from listening to all of you. I convinced my self that it would be ok to feel a little not right, and before i knew it, I felt just fine at 4mg and 2 weeks later started to reduce. Anyway not everything has been peachy, but let me tell you I am so grateful for where I am now vs. using those pain meds everyday! Thought i would share, it helps me, ciao

Post subject: Thanks Brother
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:11 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for being there ... at induction they gave me 4 somethings -8mg(I THINK) under tongue every 6 hours starting noon tues and ending 6am wed.
released at noon and given script and told do one right away and two every day for 15 days. These things kind of made me feel WAY too good and I thought ... magic ... my oh-oh light went on. I started to do half or 4mgs every 12hrs
( last 4 mgs 6 pm ) and as of this sleepless midnight post (but feel great) and easy to go thu night to 6:00 am. I plan to take no more than 1/4 and see what happens. Do you think I am freaking out too much ? I WANT OFF THESE FUKS ASAP.
As long as Im feeling JUST OK .....THATS OK ! .... Not afraid to suffer a bit... just gotta be able to function.
What do you think ?

Post subject: sorry I didnt post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:48 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Macboy, You are doing great! I read your update on the other thread. There are many cases like yours that you can get off the sub in a very short time. Watch out though, for me, I am still taking a very small dose but I am also doing counseling so that my shitty thinking does not put me right back at taking pills again. I am going on vacation, I will try to keep posting, if not i will update next week. I really need time for myself, and this is a little vacation just for me! Wow! I am so grateful! Ciao