It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am brand new to this site...so glad there is something out there like this to answer my questions. I have been on Subutex for nearly one year and I like the way it works...way better than Methadone! I haven't felt the need to do any opiates while on the drug. I just have a couple of questions about the lab tests they do randomly. I understand that I won't test positive for opiates (being that I haven't done any) and that they do a 5 or 9 strip test at the office, then send the urine out to a lab. What are they looking for? If it's sub levels...can they detect the difference between suboxone and subutex? I understand the difference between the 2. Just curious about what exactly they are looking for at the lab!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It is prolly just protocol for that DR office and that is how they go about things in house strip test and then lab after. Another reason could be because the strip test suck and give false positives all the time as well can be very easily cheated/beat. As of testing for levels I doubt it but you never know what these places are thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I sincerely doubt they could test the difference between Subutex and Suboxone, so scratch that idea.

Likely what they'd want to discover the most is any other substance abuse, so your doctor can address it accordingly.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the info. I called and spoke to the nurse..she said that they do an initial screen in the office (5 or 9 panel) she didnt specify. Then they send out to a lab that checks "quantitative levels" of whatever is there. Specifically for buprenorphrine. It doesn't determine the presence of naltrexone (Suboxone) Under the guise of my questions (I said it was for a school drug test..that I was concerned about testing positive for opiates) she didtell me that some UA's do test for buprenorphrine in addition to other drugs, while the ones that involve a cup dont test for buprenorphrine. Basically it all depends on what test is administered. I just let her volunteer as much info as she would. I'm assuming that if u test positive for "something" on the in office screen, they will see "how much" of it is present & make sure ur not selling ur meds. Based on the info on the internet...determining the exact amt. Is very difficult, however, I'm sure they are also looking for info on when/how often you have used other drugs. My doc is all "freaked out" by the DEA and random audits, resulting in him losing his license. This is the only thing I don't like about him. The threats of kicking me out, cold turkey, if I screw up! I don't like anyone having that much power in my life, then again, maybe that's the trade off. Just seems like there are docs who are more liberal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Yeah, I get it...it just feels like everything's so secretive and they hold all the power...between whether u remain on the therapy or they kick u to the curb without any recourse. Being that it's all federally regulated...doesn't surprise me or at least it shouldn't. I would think they would want to make it as easy as possible...so that people like me stay off the streets aren't out doing criminal things to get my fix!