It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am 18 Weeks pregnant with my first baby. I never thought it was possible to love a human being more than myself. I never was an addict. I got put on suboxone because my doctor stopped perscribing pain meds. The reason is the laws changed in Kentucky because of the abuse of pain meds, so doctors are more reluctant to perscribing them. What ever the case I have been taking suboxone for 5 months now. During that time I ended up pregnant. I have weened myself down to 4mgs a day from 12mgs a day... I feel fine, and my little baby boy is fine... This wacko ob doctor of mine, put in my head that tappering down to nothing would not be good for my little one while he was in my belly... I thought It was a good thing to be off this stuff before he was born. So all day today I have reserched which brought me to this site. Just the thought of my little one dying because of something I did wrong kills me... I have had anxiety all day about it... His father and I can't wait for his arrival... My Sub doctor, all he wants is money, never once did he mention that I would experience withdrawl symptoms or nevertheless my baby having withdrawl symptoms while he was still in my womb... I don't know what to do... I have heard, stay on the subs until he is born, then I heard if I am going to jump off to do it before my 3rd trimester... Any advice will help since I don't have a good Dr. to turn to... Im a thinker, so I tend to over analyze everything, which will cause me anxiety... Please help! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The ob is right. Stay at a comfortable dose. Withdrawal is worse for the baby than just taking subs. Forreal. Maybe you should read past posts about pregnancy on subs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In all the situations I have read, I have not read any that say they actually tapered off while pregnant... What is the difference between taperng off. and withdrawing? :?:

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tapering is just lowering your dose by smallamounts (sometimes) and withdrawal is an entirely different thing. It is the result of tapering and eventually jumping off. But. I have seen several women switch to subutex while pregnant and continue the same relatively high dose with no complications at the time of birth. So. I would just take some deep breaths, relax, and listen to your obgyn. Lol. You and your baby will be fine..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I also still smoke, but cut down... and I have been tapering off Baclofen 20 mg per day to 5 mg per day... :( I have been so stressed out that I pray my baby has a chance... Then there is everyone else that does not know I am on any meds... Its so much pressure, because I am carrying a boy to continue the last name... He is so important and is not even here yet... Also my fiance and I live with his father and mother... It has not been easy, for example... My fiance and I got into an argument, not a good thing cause no matter who's fault it is they will choose his... So in turn I get the cold shoulder... My fiance and I made ammends, but there is still resentment from his father... Im pregnant... I don't need the stress, cause I have enough... We barely argue is the funny part... We truly do love eachother and our line of communication is great... I don't have anyone to talk to... I appreciate your imput and look forward to any words of advice you might have for me, as a first time mother, using Sub... I plan on continuing to taper, but before I jump off, I want to make sure that I have the permission of my Sub and Ob doctors... If they want me to continue I will... I will do what ever is right for my little boy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know smoking is hard to stop,but that is more harmful than a lt of other things. Really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My daughter is now 8 months old and I was on subutex throughout my whole pregnancy.. I started out at 8mg but due to my blood volume increasing during the pregnancy by the end I was taking 24mg daily. It doesnt matter what dose of sub you are taking, some women take 1mg a day and their baby does have withdrawals while some women take as much as 32mg a day and their baby is fine, I just say that because I see so many women tapering their dose thinking its better for the baby and in reality all theyre doing is making themselves uncomfortable. I dont know who told you that your baby was at risk of dying, thats false and completely crazy. Withdrawal is what will happen when you finally stop the taking the sub, Tapering is what its called to lower your dose. As crazy as you think your OB is, he is right about the staying on the sub. Any type of withdrawals felt by you, your baby is also feeling. Withdrawal can cause miscarriage and pre-term labor, especially in the 1st and 3rd trimester. Theres nothing that shows sub will cause any problems for your baby, pregnancy or labor and delivery except that opiates are blocked while taking sub. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.. Otherwise good luck with everything and enjoy your pregnancy :) ... Im also gonna attach a link to a blog for you to read, it was actually written by the creator of this site who is also a sub doctor.. well actually im gonna post 2 links..

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/bupreno ... pregnancy/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/suboxon ... -newborns/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank You both for your responses... Much appreciated... My Sub doctor needed to know from my OB doc to either keep me on Suboxone or put me on Subutex? OB said to keep me on Suboxone is that correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Most doctors will switch their pregnant patients to Subutex.

It's my understanding that the reasoning behind this is because the Naloxone in Suboxone is another drug. It's not necessarily bad for the baby, it's just an unknown, so they switch mom's to be to Subutex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was switched to subutex as soon as I found out I was pregnant, when I found out it was like 2 weeks before my next refill appt. and of course I called my sub doctor right away who by the way specializes in sub and pregnancy and she had me take my suboxone strips back to the pharmacy and trade them for subutex.. I dont know whether she called the pharmacy or sent in a new script, I just know she switched me right away. Its something with the naloxone, it could potentially be harmful to the baby, nobody knows because theres not much of anything on it.. doctors that know what theyre doing will switch you, its just an extra medication going into the baby that doesnt need to. If I were you I would definitely get switched, it might not hurt the baby but then again it could and I know I would not take ANY risks like that when it came to my unborn child. Feel free to ask anything you need to though, I can not stress enough how important it is to be educated about this med, especially being pregnant.