It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have always been a 2 or 3 times a day taker of Suboxone, but I keep hearing that a Suboxone dose "should" last 24 hours (or at least 12). How often should I really need to take Suboxone if my dose is correct? And by taking it more often that that, have I create dependency for that routine, or is it "all in my head"?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think it all depends on what you are trying to get from your treatment.

Ideally, dosing Suboxone should be like this --> ...dose once, at most, twice per day depending on whether you feel bad towards the end of the day if the first dose was earlier in the morning.
That's ideally.
From pharmacology standpoint, yes Suboxone should last an entire 24 hours.. It has a 37.5 hour half-life...
So, if I take 8mg today at 8am, 37.5 hours later would be tomorrow(Monday) night at 9:30pm. At that time tomorrow night, I will have 4mg left in my body. 37.5 hours from then, I'll have 2mg...and so on.

Every 37.5 hours the amount left is divided by half.

Now...with the brain and how we deal with our addictive tendencies....that fact and pharmacology goes out the window, because we tell ourselves "I feel better if _________"....
And I really can't say there's a huge problem with that, unless you're end goal is getting completely off everything, including Suboxone...
As long as we're staying clean and we take the medicine as it should be taken...then we can work on telling our brain that it is wrong and little by little prove to ourselves that we don't need to take suboxone to feel a certain way at a certain time...
Stress and such doesn't call for Suboxone to be taken...
Suboxone has 1 simple job, and it does it well and for a long time...
Whatever our thoughts are about how to dose ...sometimes can be much different...

I personally take Suboxone -- small amounts a couple times per day.
But some days I just take it all at once and don't think twice about it...
Days when I'm going to be really busy, or away from home, I usually take it all at once.
Days when I'm stuck inside and sometimes have bouts of stir crazy, I'll take more, but in smaller doses (like 5 pieces from a single 8mg strip).

All in all, I'm staying clean and have been clean for 9 years. Over that time, I've changed from once a day, to small doses multiple times a day, to 2-3 times daily...and back again.
It's just a matter of what works best...

Part of my reply is probably trying to make an excuse for myself and how I take my dose...
Sometimes I get stuck in that rut too...even though I've been straight nearly a decade..
I think addiction is something that's hard-wired, and breaking that part of it...isn't always a success.
As long as I'm doing what I do with treatment meds and not opiates, I know I'm going to live to see tomorrow...

I can make any excuse for myself, but it's all addiction. I'm no better than anyone else...
I don't have anything special because I've not taken an opiate in 9 years...no more than the person who hasn't been off opiates 6 months even. We're all in the same boat...trying to live to see another day.
It's the people who are not doing that...the people who are dying in the street..

I have thoughts of my brother on my mind ...I guess because I'll be going to Louisiana in a couple of weeks and I'm buying my brother's truck from my dad... I think back on my brother telling me what he knew about Suboxone. We really didn't talk much about that stuff, because nobody knew that my brother was a heroin addict...
But he didn't like Suboxone. I'm guessing the crew he hung around would use Suboxone when there was no heroin to score, so they likely got ripped off buying it on the street and didn't know what it could do..
But since he's been gone, I can't help but think what I should've said to him...but I just didn't know he even had a problem.

At any rate, done got off-topic... I'm sure others will give their thoughts as well...but that's my thoughts. I know I don't do exactly as I should, and I try to work on it. Sometimes I manage to succeed, but sometimes I fail miserably. Just shows me that I'm still an addict and I still have issues...and some of those issues I'm not sure I'll ever overcome, because they are such a deep part of who I am and how I'm defined... some issues I've managed to conquer...but it's every day ...it's always going to be a struggle.. it's how you deal with that struggle that characterizes you.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you jonathanm1978 for your info and story.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:51 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

when i started out at 16mg i was taking smaller doses thru out the day since my dr said he didn't care how i took them.
my therapist, however, pointed out that me using multiple times a day was using in the same pattern as when i was using my doc. i'm so glad therapy is required. i've learned so much about my addiction and why i started using and why i relapsed after 5 years clean.
so, since then i've limited myself to 2x daily. i'm down to 1mg a day! taking 1/4 of a 2mg strip at 5am and the 2nd around 6pm.
my dr wanted me to try skipping days, but i'm having problems with that. i skipped a dose once and 3 days later was having wd symptoms. i don't think it was in my head either because after 3 days i wasn't even thinking about the skipped dose.
so, even though i'm on a really low dose, i still feel stuck at dosing 2x a day.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:56 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

jonathanm1978 wrote:
I have thoughts of my brother on my mind ...I guess because I'll be going to Louisiana in a couple of weeks and I'm buying my brother's truck from my dad... I think back on my brother telling me what he knew about Suboxone. We really didn't talk much about that stuff, because nobody knew that my brother was a heroin addict...
But he didn't like Suboxone. I'm guessing the crew he hung around would use Suboxone when there was no heroin to score, so they likely got ripped off buying it on the street and didn't know what it could do..
But since he's been gone, I can't help but think what I should've said to him...but I just didn't know he even had a problem.

i'm so sorry your brother lost his battle with addiction. i've often wondered about your in memory signature every time you post. i didn't realize it was your brother.

you should read my response to the op.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone maintenance is ideally once a day IMO. Subutex was originally marketed to be once a day minimum, with some people even able to double dose (16+mg) and dose once every two days.

However once a day is ideal.

IMO the only time the once a day dose needs to be broken up is when a person is tapering. Some people may need twice per day once they get below 4mg a day, or 3x a day once they get below 2mg a day.

The idea behind minimising the number of doses through the day is to reduce the addictive reinforcement a person gets from taking Suboxone. The more a person takes Sub throughout the day, the more potential for associating taking a dose with feeling "better". This is a bad thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SisterMorphine wrote:
i'm so sorry your brother lost his battle with addiction. i've often wondered about your in memory signature every time you post. i didn't realize it was your brother.

you should read my response to the op.

I'll never forget and I only put it as my signature so maybe someone will ask what it's about...it maybe will give me a chance to save someone's life once I tell them. Everyone that dies from addiction is another life that could've been saved...
And everyone that dies is someone's brother, son, daughter, sister, aunt, uncle, etc...

On topic:
I know when I take my sub at multiple doses I am doing exactly what is talked about here ...it feeds the addictive behavior and I'm not tapering. I already know that I should work on that, and I'm just waiting until I start working again....
One of the biggest problems that gets to me is sitting at home, sometimes 7 days a week...with only a trip to the gas station or such once or twice. Other than that, I'm here all the time. So I sit and think.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I take first thing in the morning, once per day. I'm on 8mg and that seems to do everything it should ( and i was chewing up ALOT of Oxy at my peak addiction).

Jonathan - great reply, I read your replies often, they're always insightful. So sorry about your brother.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:35 pm 

I'm with TeeJay on this subject to take it once per day.

My original doctor told me to take it between 9-10 AM everyday and to stick with the schedule. The evening dosing just feeds the need to alter the brainwaves just like I always did when using. When I drank, it was the 5 o'clock cocktail. Then it was taking my meds when I got home from work so this behavior is part of my life and the main reason for once a day dosing. To break the habit of looking forward to feeling a little something late in the afternoon.

Thanks for sharing your story jonathanm1978. My brother also passed away from an overdose. Too many family and friends have been buried because of drugs. Yet we never learn. When I attended my brothers funeral I made sure I had enough Norco's and Soma's to get me through the trip up north. Of course I felt guilty but that doesn't stop an addict. Nothing does until the addict admits they've had enough pain and does something about it. Luckily, my mother didn't have to bury two sons before she passed away. Close, but no cigar.

So yes, once per day is the perfect answer. Thanks TJ!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:37 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

jonathan and rule,
you two are Living proof that suboxone saves lives.
we all are.
love,
sis

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the replies. Rats, that's what I thought. I started as a three times a day guy. Got down to two times a day but man that second afternoon sub dose is so uplifting. Darn it. I dont know if I can get to one a day. But I get the point. Ugh. Help!