It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Greetings, Hope this is the correct place for this question. I have been trying to understand medical insurance in my search for insurance for a family member. It appears that group policies have mental health benefits, but individual policies do not. Is addiction a mental illness? I have read there are codes for medical conditions and different codes for mental illness. What is addiction? If you have sleep terrors, and a few health issues, and have used drugs....What are you? If health issues preceeded addiction, does that matter? I would appreciate any info on where I can read about these issues.
Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This will be a good one for the doc... Doc?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Dinskeep,
I started my Sub while in the psych ward of a local hospital. My mental health coverage paid for that. Now that I'm out patient, my medical coverage pays for the doctor visits and the medication. I'm not sure about other plans, by my coverage bills the medical insurance for all medications. Regarding the actual doctor visits, for me it depends on what kind of doctor is prescribing it for me. (It may also depend on how they write the prescription - ??? I really don't know.) My initial doc as well as current one both have family practices, one was a DO & the other an MD.
When it comes to trying to balance the medical vs. mental health insurance, unfortunately I've gotten pretty good at it. On a personal note, I completely disagree with separating the two.
I, too, am curious to see what SuboxDoc will say about this oh-so complicated subject!
Melissa

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:27 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Mental illness is one of the most overlooked, yet a very common problem afflicting people, all over the world. It accounts for 11 percent of total worldwide disease burden. As a matter of fact, in the established market economies such as United States, these mental disorders are second only to heart disease, in the most disabling disease category.

Broadly defined mental illnesses or mental disorders are significant behavioral or psychological pattern that occurs in an individual and is usually associated with distress, disability or increased risk of suffering These disorders range from mild mood disorders to extreme manic depressive illnesses. However, although health care practitioners around the world recognize that mental illness is in reality a group of disorders that cause serious disturbances in thinking, feeling and relating. But a good understanding of their causes has still not been established.

Medical illness is a medical problem that needs to be treated or managed.Many medical conditions indicate more complicated diseases or illnesses. Seizures may indicate brain injury or diabetic emergency.