It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on 12mg of Suboxone for almost a year. I have recently decided that I am tired of taking a pill and want to be completely clean and sober for the first time in 15 years. I have tapered down to 8mg of Suboxone 6 days ago and today I started to feel the effects. I am wandering how long I should wait till I taper down again and how much I should lower the dose each time. I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions. I am so glad I found this forum and eventually I want to be completely sober and help other people beat addiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We usually suggest you drop your dose by about 25% if you're above 4mg to 6mg. Once you get to the 4mg to 6mg area, you may need to decrease your dose by only 10%.

Some people stabilize on their new dose after a week or so, some take a little bit longer. Some drops, it may take you a month to stabilize. Listen to your body.

Remember, you're trying to remove Suboxone from your body slowly so that your entire body doesn't go ape shit on you. A long, slow taper is usually the best way to go.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the info and for responding back! I am so glad I found this forum. I am not alone. . .

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Slowly, conservatively, cautiously, thoughtfully and honestly. Listen to what your body tells you. Realize that for many of us, every drop is different. Some are way worse then the others.

I dropped a milligram per month or so. Until I got around 1 milligram then it was .25. The first few days of a drop I would only take .50 milligrams off.

When you get below 1 milligram things change, but until then try to take your dose only once per day and at the same time everyday. For many this is the morning. You learn tricks as you go along and what works for you. For example: when I got to low doses, I found that taking a little bit extra the day before a drop helps me out quite a lot. This allows you to have a little extra reserve in the system.

Also, I want to note that the first milligram I dropped off was a bit rough. I had been on Subs (8 mgs) for around 9 months I think. Now when I say a bit rough this is only in relation to Suboxone. Its way way way easier then a full agonist like dope or oxies.. I always tapered myself off when I went on a binge (used to call them "controlled relapses" :roll: ) with opiates and can tell you that Suboxone is much easier to do it with.

Oh yeah, if you can find some outside support. Hopefully from someone with at least experience with chemical dependency. This can be found by going to therapy with a counselor, SMART Recovery Meetings (the forums are great as are the online meetings) or even 12 step meetings. I am not a fan of the 12 steps, but they did help me at first. If you do attend 12 step meetings I would suggest you be cautious who you share your situation with. If you share that you are on Sub at NA meetings they might not let you speak at all.