It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have heard of spitting out the liquid after its dissolved, as well as things like chewing it and swishing it around in the mouth. What is the deal? I have been taking mine under the tounge and just swallowing the juices, but if there is a better way then i would really love to know. It is a very expensive med. as well as other down sides(not complaining), would just like to know the best way for best absorbtion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I shouldn't have commented I forgot a Dr. ran this forum. I just said wht my Dr. told me to do thx Doc thats even helps me.

Last edited by Bignmean on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Why can't you swallow the spit?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I respect the answer in the prior post but disagree-- as a neurochemist I learned a great deal about the passage of llipophilic drugs through cell membranes, and there are much better ways to absorb buprenorphine than the 'under the tongue' method. The main reason the package insert says 'under the tongue' is because that is much easier to write, than what I am about to write. As for dosing, the technique I will describe does not affect the amount of absorption as much as it affects the speed of absorption; it still takes the same period of time to get into the bloodstream so I am NOT referring to getting a 'rush' or buzz (that is not possible with chronic use, as you all know), but rather it affects the time you have to walk around with something in your mouth. We all know that the minute you put it under your tongue, your wife is going to start a conversation or your phone is going to ring-- so it helps to make the time as short as possible.

Three things affect absorption: concentration (as that drives diffusion), surface area, and time. So the best absorption requires a very small amount of saliva, repeated painting of the solution over all mucous membranes (all surfaces in your mouth-- including cheeks, roof of mouth, tongue (both sides), gums, etc, and finally, you want ot keep it in your mouth for a good 10-15 minutes. While in solid form, the medication is of NO use to you; it cannot be absorbed until it is in solution, so I DO recommend crushing and dissolving the medication immediately, in a very small amount of saliva. Paint it all over for 15 minutes, then spit or swallow-- either one is fine. People who are sensitive to naloxone-- those who get headaches for an hour after dosing-- sometimes do better to spit out the naloxone, rather than swallowing it. I also recommend spitting it out if you have had a gastric bypass or any surgery that bypasses the proximal intestine, as if naloxone gets to the distal intestine it can be absorbed outside of the portal system and avoid breakdown by the liver. The result would be minor flashes of withdrawal for an hour or two after each dose of Suboxone-- not after Subutex.

As for the concerns in the prior message, the exact level of buprenorphine in the bloodstream is not critical. In fact, most people will do fine on a wide range of doses, from 2 mg per day to 32 mg per day. The important thing, in my opinion, is to take enough that you remain over the 'ceiling' level for 24 hours after dosing, so that you can dose only once per day without having breakthrough withdrawal. Dosing more efficiently allows a person to reduce the amount of medication to get that effect, saving a great deal of money. One last thing-- do NOT rinse your mouth for at least 15 minutes after dosing, as some medication will be attached to the surface of your oral mucosa but not yet absorbed, and you don't want to wash it away.

The veins under the tongue are NOT critical to dosing; my complaint with sublingual dosing is that you end up with a small zone of super-saturated tissue around the tablet, and after that develops, little additional absorption will occur and the rest of the drug passes in the gutter along the sides of the tongue and down your throat. That's wasteful-- heck, what about those starving children in India who have NO Suboxone?

Post subject: how many?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If i am getting perscscribed 2 8 mg. pills a day, is is ok to use the method just described-all at once, i.e. 2- 8's at the same time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd stick with what your doctor has said to do but many of us have had success eliminating addictive behavior by only dosing oncer per day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:04 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I find that I frequently get sick and nearly vomit as a result of suboxone use.... Any suggestions to comnat this???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

User,
Do you spit out the leftover "juices" after absorption or do you swallow them? If you swallow then you might want to consider spitting it out.
We would probably need a little more information, like how much suboxone do you take, how often, and how do you take it?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just the smell when opening the container makes my stomach turn. The script is 8mg twice day. I place the pill under my tongue and took your advise by splitting it in to pieces. However, if I even taste the "juices", my stomach turns and frequently vomit and feel nauseous for quite some time after. This makes it difficult to take the medication while at work. I had been told that swallowing the pill would reduce the nausea but obviously that severely reduces the absorption. I'm struggling.... I am to the point where just think about taking it makes me cringe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

User -
I don't know why you can't tolerate the taste or even the smell, but perhaps you can try a change. What about asking your doctor to switch you from suboxone to the recently-generic subutex? I think I've heard the taste is a bit different, so maybe it's worth a try? Plus if it's the naloxone that's making you sick the subutex doesn't have any in it.

I'm curious, do you normally have a sensitive gag reflex or is it just the suboxone?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I like the taste so this may not be helpful as it sounds like you have the same reaction to suboxone as I do to BBQ sauce. ugh!

I find that anything under the tongue I can taste much. When you get it under your tongue and get the saliva going, with your mouth closed keep your tongue up and trap the juices under the tongue. I can prevent from even tasting it at all doing it this way. Dr. Junig says this is not the best way to do it, but I may prevent you from vomiting. You can ask the doc for generic subutex as I hear that has a different flavor. I love the suboxone flavor. Reminds me of fruit loops :) Of course I could drink pepto bismal like it was a milkshake too. Mmmmm. Robitussin is a whole other story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had a problem with swallowing the saliva after it dissolved. My first day, or induction, I became very sick. I got my answer right on this fourm. I let my suboxone dissalve under my tounge, and after the tablet is dissalved, I don't spit it out for another 10 minutes. That way anything that didn't dissalve has the chance to. My 8 mg dose actually lasted for 24 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I don't like the taste of the N8's either. I'm taking a losenge right now that is flavored and can be reshaped. It's like a wax. Like the doc said it seems to work best when not solid, so I form it into a tiny strip before "starting" to take it.

Also from what my local doc tells me it's almost worthless after you swallow it. I think i'm gonna try to save the spit instead of swallowing. Maybe I'll swap it with a friend of mine so we can both get our rocks off. Haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

The generic subutex tastes way better and they work just as well as Suboxone as long as you get the Roxanne or teva brands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:36 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Did you have any problems switching from suboxone to subutex? Is subutex a sublingal tablet similar to the suboxone tabs? I going to try switching next month because I cant deal with these laim film strips. The taste never bothered me on tabs or film. The only thing is trying to eat within hour or two after will effect your taste buds. That was the beauty of insufflating. Take your meds and eat immediately. The films are soo weak I scratching my head. Tried every possible ROA and I switching to subutex screw this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I used to feel the same way. That the tablets were stronger than the films. I gave the films a real.chance and now I take them everyday with no difference. It is such a mental thing with addicts. Between a pill and a film. If anything I've found them to be stronger actually! But. Suboxone is here to help avoid addict behavior...aka snorting them. And. If you snorted the tabs then the films sublingually would seem weaker for sure. I honestly think that subutex or whatever would really make no difference in strength. Bupe just works that way after you are stabilized at a certain dose. Idk. Thats just my experience with it.

By the way...the way you are wording these posts...imho...it seems like you are addicted to.the habit of snorting them. Thus the strong need for some kind of tablets and you are convinced the films will never work for you. So. It just sounds like chasing that routine.

Also. Why not eat before taking sub? Thats no reason to switch meds. You can say its only for pain and stuff, but maybe you should at least take a look at your addict behaviors here. Rather than shovingg them out of the way.

Just a thought. Might help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:39 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Actually I was 20 minutes from death after crashing a 150 foot 70 mph dirtbike jump. I shattered 8 bones including my femur, hip, ankle, fractured vert etc etc. Everything held together by titanium right now so maybe my pain more real than you can imagine. I recently insufflated for maybe two weeks due to low amount of pills and low amount of money lol. Proven fact this is the ultimate way to save money. I actually hate insufflating anything and dispise putting powder up my nose. It was pure economics, these pills cost a grip. I finally got insurance which not easy for ex semi pro mx racer. That explains my switch to films. As far as my wording(spelling b champion) I from BROOKLYN ny and this is how to speak and typing on a crap phone, no internet service on pc right now. Not everyone has predictable addict behavior or scribed subs for the same reason. Some of us have real issues and real pain. Suboxone has been used for chronic pain long before it was discovered to help with withdrawls. This was evident in all research from the UK. The usa is very slow to catch on to this and people here still very confused about suboxone use, even people who use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your real pain or real issues...dont exclude you from addict behavior. I always hear that from people. That just because they were started by a doctor for severe pain they are obviously not an addict and never will be. Idk. And I know the uk uses bupe for pain and have used it in most of europe for a long time. However. It was used to treat pain with things like temgesic and buprenex. Both are super low dosage. Micrograms even. So. Taking the high dose suboxone tabs or film for pain....is new. Its not designed to treat pain...its designed for.opiate addiction. So. I'm sorry that I brought up the addictive behaviors maybe causincausing a problem or that when the word comes up you hide behind your extravagant injurys (not saying they aren't real or very painful) and are on the defense. All I was saying is that...even if you just started snorting or whatever....they are both the same medicine...subutex wonwon't change that fact. So chasing a tablet makes sense in my opinion. And. Good luck finding a doctor to give them to you. But. Suboxone or not. I think it would be worth a shot to look at some of your addictive side. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:37 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I addicted to coffee, ice cream, motor cycles, speed (going fast), voluptuous women and suboxone. There you go but my whole left side still hurts and words cant heal massive injuries. What you consider extravagant injuries I call another day at the trails. I'm an adrenaline junkie first and foremost, no synthetic drug can compare to it. Would much rather be building trails and jumping super cross doubles but this injury happened. Unless you've shattered 8 bones in one crash including you femur( the largest bone in your body )I not taking any advice about pain management. I could get real pain meds prescribed to me today from my surgeon, doctor, ortho therapist, or any other dr who look at my xrays. After finally getting out of hospital I started taking massive amounts of pain killers for couple months. At one point I up to 500mg a day of liquid oxyconti vials and not getting high off that at all. Thats when I decided to induce subs. I personally made the choice to go on suboxone thru my own research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:26 am 
New Poster
New Poster

hallo everyone... I am new here and its the first time in my 10 year 'hard drugs' life that I post something,although I have read so many things ,right or wrong...I started using suboxone from the 'black market' about a year ago,because after 2 years of being clean of anything that has to do with opium,I started taking heroine for a couple of weeks...When I STARTED TO REALISE HOW STUPID i was becoming again and after several very very bad years that i ve spent in my house in the past so i can cut heroine ,I got extremely scared,so I started using suboxone..At the beginning it felt so right I even had the 'flash' of heroine only by taking 4mg every 2 days..As everyone who has experienced that,after several uses that 'flash' stopped gradually...Then some "friends" told me that i can shoot it cause its much better and of course for economical reasons..In my full of crisis country (Greece) one pill of 8mg suboxone costs from 8 to 10 euros.From the black market as I mentioned before...The people that selling this sh*t are taking it free of course from some hospitals.my question is this...:I started shooting 1/8 of an 8mg pill,every day for the last month.Everytime I was doing it ,I was swearing to myself that this would be the last time because I know its the most stupid thing to do..And extremely dangerous.Today,when I woke up in the morning sweating and be cold at the same time,I took the syringe and burnt it on my balcony..then i cut an 8mg sub in the half and put it (AT LAST),under my tongue...It didnt work exactly as before (I'm still sweating) ,but its ok,i can get used to it...At least i have no pains or diarrhea.So i think i can manage it.I REALLY WANT TO STOP IT PERMANENTLY...The withdrawl symptoms are the biggest problem for me...My fear for them are stronger than the fear i have for death...And believe me , I WANT TO LIVE!
As long as God wants me to.If you have any idea how I can stop it with less pain as possible plz answer me... I'm almost 30 yrs old and really sick and tired of drugs.Thank you for reading it and sorry that this msg is so large..But I'm really desperate. I'm close to lose my family,my job and my girlfriend and I want my sober life back...