It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: what to tell the doctor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:29 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I want to go to my first suboxone doctors appointment with no lies between the doctor and I. I have been on suboxone for a little over a year now illegally. I was on methadone for three years prior to that legally and when i got down to 20 mg experienced terrible withdrawal they wouldn't stop my detox so I said screw it and went to suboxone. I've been on suboxone legally in the past and did excellent. I haven't used heroin in almost 3 years. And do not ever want to go back. That's why I want to stay on suboxone. Right now because I have no insurance or money I am only taking one 8 mg strip a day. I know my body needs more. I just got approved for Medicaid and already have me doctors appointment for November 11. CAN I GET A HALLELUJAH!! I'm very excited but scared I won't get his ok since I haven't used in so long. Should I maybe stop the suboxone a few days before and just take pain pills so I have opiates in my system. Or should I just be fully honest and just tell the truth. Please any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:01 pm 

Hmmm... Would you consider maybe fudging the truth a little bit? Maybe you could go in as you are (only sub in your system), and talk about how horribly addicted you are to the H. I would tell him that the times you ran out of sub or came close that your cravings were so bad that you don't know if you'll ever be safe off suboxone. In other words, don't actually relapse, but describe how close you've come to relapsing, even if that is stretching the truth a bit.

Whatever you end up doing you're going to need to discover whether your sub doctor is the type that approves of long term maintenance, or whether he's going to want you to taper off within a certain period of time. If he's the latter type you will need to find another sub doctor anyway.

Congratulations on qualifying and getting on Medicaid. It takes a lot of persistence to prove that you need the financial help. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:49 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Every dr is different. So it's difficult to give accurate advice without actually knowing the dr you're referring to. However- i'll tell you my personal experience because i was in a similar position as you. I was addicted to pain killers then a friend of mine told me about suboxone. I was buying them off of said friend. I never wanted to take another pain killer. However- it was expensive buying subs off my friend. And when his supply ran out i was shit out of luck. I went to the dr with only subs in my system. I told the dr the truth. That i was buying subs off a friend. But it was getting very expensive and if my friend didn't have them i was forced to withdrawal or go back to opiates. I also said i didn't want to live that lifestyle anymore. It was dangerous and could get myself in trouble. That was enough for him to write me a script. Like i said- every dr is different. It sucks to have to lie or use just to get the medicine you need! Best of luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the feed back. I hope and pray everything is going to work out the way I hope it will. But I'm preparing for the worst just in case. Ill let u know what happens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:37 pm 

Thanks Jackiefern for the positive post. I would take that advice and tell the truth. That way you have nothing to come back and bite you later. The doctor should be okay with prescribing you Suboxone even though you are already on it.

Are you sure 8 mg's isn't enough? Do you still have cravings or withdrawal symptoms on that dose? If not, stay at 8 and no more. With Suboxone, less is more. But if you feel like you'll do better at say 16 mg's, just say so. I see nothing wrong with it.

Let us know how it turns out, okay? Welcome to the forum!

r