It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I have recently gotten over a long-term opiate addiction and have a surgery coming up that may require pain medications after-wards during recovery. What do you do in this type of situation? Any pointers would be great as I'm getting really anxious thinking about it... It is probably a situation where I can just pass on the medications and have some bad pain for a couple weeks, which is probably my best option but scares the crap out of me.

I wouldn't want to tell my doctor about my past addiction though so I would need to take the script (and I'm assuming fill it so he doesn't wonder why it wasn't filled) and then just discard it. Does this seem like the smartest move or is this being a little crazy?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:48 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I take it, you are not on Suboxone. How long have you been clean? Do you have someone that can hold the pain meds for you? Because I swear those little things can talk to you through the damn bottle! lol
Honestly, I guess it depends on you. Can you trust yourself?
Maybe I would get the script and hold it or give to someone that will treat you with "tough love" if you know what I mean. I don't know what else you can do. When is your surgery and what are they going to do if it is not too personal?
Maybe there will be some more people stop in and have some advice for you.
Sorry I can't help more,
Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:16 pm 

I don't believe doctors check to see if you've filled your prescription. You don't have to fill it, but the addict in you will have you believe that you do. You can tell the surgeon that you have a really bad reaction to opiate pain medication and maybe he can put you on a powerful anti-inflammatory instead. Sometimes the anesthesiologist can put a block in the incision area that can last a couple of days.

If you are able to stop yourself from filling the prescription, make sure that you alternate between ibuprofen and acetaminophen so you're getting the benefit of both kinds of medication.

Happy's suggestion is also good. Have someone close to you hold your meds if you decide to take the opiates. If they don't know about your addiction just tell them that you have a family history of addiction so you want to take extra precautions. Stop taking them as soon as you possibly can.

Report back here about what happens. You can use us to stay accountable to someone. Good luck!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:36 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Who cares if you don't fill the script! As Amy said, the Dr. doesn't check. A lot of people don't fill there scripts. If they would happen to call(which I highly doubt) just tell them the pain wasn't bad enough for you to use it. I think the "addiction demon" is whispering in your head to get it filled. One part of you doesn't want to fill it because you know what will happen, and the "other" part of you can't wait to fill it. This has been my experience and that is what happened to me. (Had a minor surgery) Dr. wrote me a script for Vicodin. And yes I got the script filled. I even called my Suboxone Dr. to make sure it was alright to use the script and I took every last one of them and I didn't stop there. I had been sitting on 2 or 3 boxes of Fentenyl patches for months, but I seen the opportunity and I chewed every last one of them too. It took me over a week to get straightened out after that. lol I am not proud of that at all but that is how our minds work when a person is an opiate addict.
Sorry, I am babbling! I will stop now! lol

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for all the responses already, you guys are great. That is very true about not filling it. I don't trust myself with them and I don't trust giving them to someone even with "tough love" because honestly, I become very good at convincing someone I need them when that demon takes over (wish I was that good at convincing/negotiating for normal stuff lol).

Right now I think my plan is to go to the surgery and have whoever is with me immediately take the prescription and rip it up to avoid temptation. Otherwise I know I will end up just "holding on to it incase".

Thanks for everyone's honesty and reminding me not to mess this up. Means a lot to me. I will report back and let you know how it goes (and my success! at passing up on these meds). It is scheduled for 3 weeks from today.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry happyg, I forgot to respond to your question. I am not on suboxone and have been off all opiates going on 3 months now.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

You are 3 months out and it would be awful to screw that up. I am like the Wise Ole Owl in the Tootsie Pop commercial. 1, 2, 3 days and crunch!!! lol I never made it past 3 days without something.
Be wise and listen to us! There is a lot of knowledge and experience on here! We are trying not to let people have to go through what we have been through. Don't ruin your life!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you. Yes I am going to stay firm in this. Already got it planned out to make sure I don't fill the script and I will have it ripped up. Not worth going through that again. Thank you guys for giving me the push I needed