It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: What am I to do?
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi I am a 26 year old mother of one, from Burlington, Vt. I have been on suboxone since April of 2005 with the same doctor for those five years I can honestly say it saved my life! I have been a model patient with very few relapses in the beginning, now I have my beautiful daughter a loving boyfriend after a long life of horrible incidents, losing my mother to a drug overdose and countless other horrible things my life was finally looking like it could be wonderful. But of course as all good things do, they disappear, my doc is leaving this month, I was suppose to be all set going into synergy here in Burlington but as some of you might know they closed there doors and because I wasn't in yet, cause I didn't need them until may I am getting no help the 150+ patients are all set but people who were not in yet ate pretty much screwed my doc says he has put in seven and a half years and it is time for other doctors to step up but unfortunately they are not. I have called every suboxone prescriber in the state of Vermont and get the same answer sorry can't help you. I feel like my life is being destroyed right infront of my eyes and I am helpless. What am I to do my life line has been taken I am so devastated by this and the fact I am going to be left without any resources at all after taking the leap of faith to get clean this SUCKS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:28 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I am sorry to hear that you are being kicked to the curb like that, especially since you are doing so well at the moment. Since you have been on subs for so long have you considered getting off? This might be the perfect time to get off of it. You seem to be in a good place with your recovery. After being on subs for 3 years I felt I was more than ready to get off. I am happy I made that decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Have you tried cold calling any psychiatrists? Many of them prescribe suboxone but don't advertise it. What about your family doctor. Any doctor can prescribe it for pain without the special license. I know that's skirting things, but it might be worth a shot. Here's hoping you can find a replacement doctor. Is your doctor going to write you a script to hold you over for any time at all?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I haven't tried calling any psychiatrists good idea! I will give that a shot. I go see my doc today for the last time I am going to see how many refills he can give me, does any body know the max docs can give you in refills? I heard three months, is this true? I hope what ever it is he gives me is enough to buy time until some thing opens up. I found a new primary care doc that prescribes suboxone but he is not taking patients for that but I figure if I can atleast get in to see him maybe we can talk about it as long as his case load isn't full I heard docs keep a couple spots open just in case is their any truth to this? I feel I am not ready to be clean solo so I haven't thought about coming off them, truthfully I am scared as hell to do it wish I wasn't but have never known any thing other than abuse that's how I was taught growing up with both parents addicts/alcoholics that's how you deal with life right? That's why I need my suboxone it is keeping me sane!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:22 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I get my subs from a psychiatrist............... I dont think you can get more then 3 refills.... hopefully you have a compassionate doc who will give you refills and hang with you till you find an alternate doc... wishing you the best

Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I get refills for three months, but I'm not sure if that's the maximum or not. You could ask your pharmacist, they would probably know.

How did your doctor's appointment go?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Refills on all schedule III medications (which is where Bup/Sub falls) can be provided for up to six months. That means, if the doc is willing, it is legal to write you a script for a one month supply with 5 refills (for a total supply of six months). The other way around this, again if the doc is willing, is to provide a monthly dose higher than what you use - or taper yourself down to a lower dose. For example, if your dose is currently 8mg/day, the doc "MAY" write you for 16 mg day which will provide you with two months. On the other side, if you take 16 mg a day, most people can easily taper down to 8 mg and double the amount of medication they have. Many people here have done this, including myself. My doc continued to write me for 16 mg/day while he knew I was tapering down to 8mg. He also provided me with three months meds at a time and then saw me every three months. All of these things are legal. Again, six months is the magic number for schedule III refills. All non-controlled meds can be refilled for up to one year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So i had my last doctors appreciate. He gave me enough for 8 weeks with no follow up appointment so if I don't get something figured out by then I am pretty much screwed! Synergy ( twin oaks) is having a meeting on the 23rd of this month that's when they will see if their going to stay open which I hope they do! It is something I believe the community needs! I got on the waiting list for the methadone clinic which is about a year or longer wait, not sure how I feel about that, I like the suboxone, keeping all my options open and trying to keep faith but am really scared about the future and what is going to happen. Instead of calling around for a suboxone doc I called to get a primary care doc who I got in with has a full case load so is unable to say they can prescribe me my meds but maybe they can temporally prescribe to me until I figure something out it's one step closer right???

Post subject: keep trying
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:15 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

What a terrible situation to be in. I feel for you.
Keep trying to find a sub dr. Can you drive a distance and look outside your area, too. Some people do drive four hours round trip to see a dr and if that is the case since you've been on Sub so long and done well if you had to drive that far maybe that dr would give you several refills so you didn't have to go in as often.

I was on methadone before I switched to Sub. Now, this is just my opinion from my experience, but try not to go the methadone route. I was on it for 2.5 years at 75mg and through a clinic. I really lost a lot of my motivation, happiness, and energy on it. I had no idea how much I'd lost myself while I was on it...not until I switched to Sub. It worked in that it put my disease into remission but I wouldn't ever go back on it. NEVER. I only say this because I'd hate to see you switch....but if it comes down to it methadone is preferable to using, obviously.

Ask to be put on waiting list with every dr you call. Keep calling. Check the internet and the links for sub dr in your area. Mine is a psychiatrist, too. And I know a pediatrician who prescribes Sub...he has a side practice for Sub. In the state I previously lived in he was allowed to prescribe Sub to patients up to the age of 30. Strange, yes...but it's another idea.

Good luck.