It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: What to do?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I received a letter in the mail stating that my Suboxone Clinic has closed down. I have such a feeling of doom and despair. I have been weaning down and was planning on coming off anyway but I always like the fact I could return to my Dr's office and get more if need be. Now I just feel very alone. I can't believe this is happening. I don't have the money to pay to go to a new clinic and start over with a new Dr. I have been at 3 mg for a few days and I can tell ya right now I'm not looking forward to dropping to 2 mg. I really don't feel right at 3 mg. What to do, what to do... HELP FRIENDS!!!

Post subject: Re: What to do?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:47 pm 

Hey Angie, it sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to promote illegal activity, but I have to be honest about what I would do. First of all, I would still look for a sub doctor in your area and see if you can find one who has a lower initiation fee. I would try to get myself into a program.

There is nothing about your situation that you can do without some money unless you're going to do your best to wean down and then jump off. That is free, but obviously not optimal. If you have a primary care doctor you should at least be able to be prescribed some comfort meds during withdrawal.

If you don't want to jump off after you run out of medication you need either to find another sub doctor, or find a way to buy some more off the streets so you can taper further. Both of those options cost money. I, personally, would look very hard for a suboxone prescriber before going the illegal route. One of our posters found a doctor who would take half of the initial appointment fee on his first appointment and then take the second half the next appointment. I would work hard to find a similar situation. Only after I exhausted all legal options would I look for strips on the street.

Please keep us informed! We are hoping that you find a way forward from this mess. We are pulling for you.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If closing, they are required to provide a 30 day supply of medication. If shut down by the DEA or Medical Board then you are in a tough spot. Can you ask for that final fill to be at a dose you used to be on? If you could get an Rx for 30 days of 8 mg a day that could really stretch your taper and give you a better chance of success. As Amy said, any provider can give you the comfort meds when you get to the withdrawal piece.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:49 pm 

Hey Angie!

Gosh this sucks and I'm so sorry this happened to u. It's most of our worst fears! Is ur doctor not able to see u again or will u have another appointment before closing? In this post it sounds like u won't be able to see him again but I think I read another post where it sounded hopeful that ur doctor hasn't fully closed yet. If no more appointments are available then I'd do exactly what Amy and docm2 suggested. I sure hope u can continue ur medication for awhile longer, at least until u can do a slow taper.

I remember once u said something about ur doctor was going to be doing video appointments, is that going to stop too? If not, can u possibly look into that since ur already a patient of his/hers? I'm literally telling u to try every single option possible. Even if u think it's a long shot, call anyway because sometimes things happen that you'd never have thought could.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This situation is one of the frequent problems associated with buprenorphine treatment. I've griped about ASAM and other treatment societies before... but this is where they could direct efforts that would actually HELP people. Instead of coming out with guidelines about drug testing of patients, why don't they come out with strong stance and statements against patient abandonment-- whether caused by retirement, bankruptcy, or Board discipline? Patients who are suddenly cut off medication, pushed into withdrawal, face large risks-- risk including relapse and death. Everyone in the addiction treatment world is used to these situations, but try to clear the old perspectives and think about what is happening from a health standpoint. If women with breast cancer were abandoned in large numbers in the middle of their treatments, would there be the same silence?

Of course not. So who, if not ASAM, is responsible for educating society about this issue? They are the society of addiction MEDICINE- so why the lazy response to breakdowns in treatment of this disease?!

Bama, I don't have much beyond support, and I'm sorry for that. The main thing, from a long-term standpoint, is to avoid illicit opioids. During treatment people create a barrier between that old world, when they broke all the little rules for one reason or another, and the new world where they follow the rules. I know you are in a bad place, and there are plenty of reasons why this isn't your fault. But you would benefit so, so much by taking the hard path this time. Do an exhaustive search for a new doc, and try to find or borrow the money for the appointment. Or rapidly reduce your dose to 2 mg per day to stretch what you have left, and then taper off.

Whatever you do, keep in touch-- and you'll find support here. Finally, consider sending a letter to the medical board in your state, just in case there is someone there who recognizes the nature of this problem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dear Angie,

I'm so sorry to hear this. You were so very helpful to me when I needed it. Just know we can all painfully identify with your situation. It's unbelievably cruel of the doctor(s) in that place not to reach out and try and help their patients with some sort of transition. Where are they? Where are the professional ethics? Incredibly heartless it seems to me. I can absolutely understand how you'd feel betrayed and abandoned.

You'll get through this situation. I feel certain of it. A year from now you'll very likely be giving advice on the forum to some other unfortunate addict in a similar situation. Who knows? It could be me Or any one of us.
We're all here for you Angie. You can absolutely count on that.

Your good friend,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sheesh Angie, sorry this is happening. Didn't you have to switch drs just a short while ago?? Did you have a feeling this was coming(you've tapered quite a bit since you registered)?? This just plain ol' sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've had great luck when I've changed doctors around here...central AL...

Simply calling them and saying "i'm currently a suboxone patient..so I wouldn't need the same induction as a new patient. I already know how to take it, have a dosage already...and just need to change because the current doctor's office is closing."

You'd be surprised where you'll be able to get in...

For the doctor, it's easy..they don't have to spend all that time inducing you into sub, you're already in. All they gotta do is bring you in for the pee in cup...check vitals...and send you on your way.

If you can't find that where you're at, check around Birmingham. I can give you a doctor's number, and I'm actually friends with his wife on Facebook...but it's not my doctor. I just have his information as a back-up in case something happens with my current doctor. I found out about him after I was already with my doctor that I see currently, and almost changed just because...but I would rather stick with what I have until I am forced to change...not just change for the sake of changing. So many people have such a hard time finding help...

but as far as people who care go, this doctor that I have info for and his wife are both very compassionate. They are prior military..they actually want to help their patients...

So if you need the information, let me know and I'll send you a PM.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks guys. Yes, unfortunately the clinic had been "closed down imediently due to unforeseen circumstances"! LORD! I'm going to see Monday morning if I can find another Dr. I an babysitting my granddaughter while my daughter is out of town this weekend so I figured I would drop down to 2 mg and start calling around Monday morning. It means so much that each and every one of you replied. Godfrey, one of my fav, Jonathon, my friend from the south, Jenn Jenn, first friend I met from the forum, H TOWN, the newby, to me anyway, Amy the helpful one, and both Subdoc and Doc 2. If I left out anyone I am sorry. I will be back on later. Thanks for the support. Your friend, Angie PS, I don't feel so alone now...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Angie,

You sound so much more positive! I'm very glad. As I said, no doubt that you'll figure this out somehow.
Please keep us all posted. When we don't hear we can imagine all kinds of things. Kind of like being a parent.
:o

Warm best wishes,
G.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I dropped down to 2 mg Friday. Been 48 hours at 2 mg. Just feel real drained. I'll check in tomorrow.
Angie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Angie...

Thanks for the update. Please keep them coming. So your plan is to see if you can find someone on Monday?
Wishing you the best. Not to beat a dead horse too much, but how can they just abandon a practice without so much as a phone call? Or at least a letter to each client offering some solid suggestions on
where to go from here. It's to say the very least, uncaring.

I got away from the clinic atmosphere by finding a private practice addiction psychiatrist. He's kind of a pain because he's always trying to "do therapy" on me. He likes to tell me I'm depressed likely because I was traumatized as a little kid. But I'm really not depressed at all, or not anymore than anyone else would be when dealing with a severe episode of chronic pain. On the other hand it's much more private and he doesn't charge any more than the clinic did....though he spends half an hour with me rather than the usual 5 minutes. If you have any insurance at all, maybe you'd have a better chance of being covered for a private guy than an addiction clinic....though I really don't have any idea as to whether that's true. Around here, lots of therapists have sliding scales, though perhaps that's more true for non-m.d.'s.

Best of luck Monday, Angie. Wish I could offer more than vague ideas that likely won't help.

G.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:04 am 

Hey Angie!

2mg is awesome. I'm sorry ur feeling drained. I do think some ppl complain of that fatigued symptom when they drop to a lower dose and it could also be because it's a quicker drop. I totally understand the quicker drop because of the situation ur doctor has left u in. Is that the only symptom ur having right now?

I sure hope ur able to find u another doctor, I know u were tapering anyhow but u weren't having to be rushed like u are now. Sorry if my posts seem scattered, I think I have a sinus infection and as my fiancé says 'I have foggy brains' lol I laughed so hard at that :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:18 pm 

Hi Angie, I sooo admire your strength! It sounds like you are doing ok and that you have a plan in place! Other than feeling sluggish, how is it going on 2mgs? Do you take that at one time? I am at 4mgs, 2 in the am and 2mgs in the pm. I keep saying that I am going to drop to 3mgs but have been lazy! You have given me incentive! I am going to cut some 2mgs so I am prepared to just take half a strip in the evening. Please, post and let us know how today is going for you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have brain fogs too Jenn Jenn. That has to do with the drop to two mg. I also have an uncomfortable, almost electric current running through my legs. I'm just sitting here but feel like I need to twitch, if that makes since. I do twitch when I get this feeling and I get a since of relief for a few minutes and then it seems to build back up. I have a friend who helped me out with this. I had some Gabapentin or Neurotin brought to the house. 200 or more. Some of you may remember the whole reason I ended up on pain pills was because I had a car accident back in 1992. I broke, well crushed both legs. Both hips were broke. Both femur, that's the large bone that runs down the top part of the leg, both tibia and fibia, that the bottom part of the leg, both ankles and feet. 28 breaks to be exacts. I don't do pain well in the leg region and that is where the uncomfortable feeling is starting. I haven't had pain, per say yet but just that strange electric current feeling running through my legs. I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford another Dr. This has been a problem all along. I don't work and I'm on disability. I live with my parents, thank God, so that's a big help. My parents do ok, but they take care of me and my son financially so I can't ask them to pay for me to go to a new Dr. I think I'm just going to come on off the Suboxone. If things get crummy when I'm off the Suboxone, at least I can always try and get back on it if need be. I'm sorry I'm always changing my mind and yall don't know weather I'm staying on or coming off. I was just kind of thrown into this situation and I have been making my mind up as time goes by. But I do have a question. I wonder when would be the best time to try and drop again? I'm going to read around the forum and see what others have done and go from there. I do feel a little more at ease to have the Gabapentin on hand. I guess I need to make an appointment with my family Dr and see about getting some of those comfort meds. There is one most everyone swears by, and I think It's a blood pressure pill. Seems to be what everyone makes sure to have on hand but I can't think of the name of it. Clonidine, is it? Yeah, but I need to know what mg to ask for. I'm getting ahead of my self but I just want to have everything lined up. Oh Michelle, to answer your questions, I feel better today, at day 3 than I did to start with on 2 mg. I take 1 mg in the am and 1 mg around 5 pm. I would like to stay here for ever. We will just have to see how it all plays out. Thanks Godfrey, Jenn, Michelle, Amy, and everyone else. Keep me in your prayers. Your friend, Angie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:06 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

i signed up at treatmentmatch.org just for the heck of it. i like my dr., but they don't bill insurance. so i've tried to get a major medical claim approved 4 times now to get reimbursed.
ANYWAY i got replies for 2 drs. they were a little further away then mine current one, but i specified that they needed to take my insurance.
plus they aren't listed on the regular online lists of suboxone drs.
try it out.
its totally anonymous. the drs contact you by email if you're a match. then you call to set up appt or ask qiestions etc.
the link is from this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:19 pm 

Angie I understand the financial part of this treatment, some ppl just can't afford it. I wish it were cheaper in my area too. I called a place a few months ago and they wanted $500! I pay $350 right now. I said.... ok goodbye, I don't have any further questions lol! No way. My clinic has started taking Medicaid now also (wish I had Medicaid) so I guess things are getting a bit better for ppl but I completely understand why u are deciding to just stop.

Gabetin (so?) is great with withdrawal. I'd use it a lot in the past during active addiction. When I didn't have my doc I'd take it and it helped tremendously. Clonidine is good but I don't remember the mg. Also something for ur tummy, like phenagrin (sp?) helped me a lot.

I wouldn't advise kratom at all though! Dr J was talking about someone who had taken it and it had some type of contaminants in it and caused this guy bad problems. There was also someone else on the forum said they'd been taking it and all of a sudden got horribly sick vomiting and had to stop. So it's not anything to try.

Good luck Angie and please keep us updated. How much suboxone do u have left before u have to stop completely?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jenn Jenn. I have 14 Suboxone and am down to 1 mg a day. So 1 will last 8 days. I plan on staying on 1 mg for a week and probably to stay on a half a mg for a week. I have plenty. I am doing surprisingly well at 1 mg. I was only at 2 mg for a few days. I have been reading a lot on here and refreshing my memory. The only time I have problems is in the morning right when I take my meds. I am usually upset at my stomach but this morning I didn't have to take any meds. I hope everyone is having a good week. I will check in later. Bama girl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:05 am 

At 1mg and with 14 strips left, sounds like ur doing well.... especially under the circumstances that ur doctor shut down! Ur taking this very brave! Can I just tell ya that I would be a mess right now in ur situation (because I worry so much). U are handling this great Angie.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:56 am 

You're doing so good Bgurl! I was going to suggest a taper plan but it appears you already have figured it out. Slow and easy is always best.

Some swear by the Gabapentin and Clonidine so those do sound good. What mostly gets people worn down is the lack of sleep and Restless Leg Syndrome. There is a drug called Requip and one more that I forget the name but they are both for RL's and will also help with sleep. Any doctor can prescribe that medication. You'd only need one or two weeks worth and that's it.

Let us know how things are going. We hate to see you suffer needlessly.

rule