It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: What to do
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi I've been a Herron addict for about 3 years . 1st year off and on last 2 years pretty much on , I've stopped about a week ago , due to almost loosing loved ones and realizing . I didn't realy get sick or anything . Dunno y or if I haven't done enough long enough . But I can't stop craving it . Even tho I'm off her ion I wanna do it , it's on my mind almost every minute and won't get away . As bad as I wanna do it i know what I will loose if I do , I heard subs will help the cravings ? Is tha so ? If I did a month of subs and taperd off woyld the cravings slowly go away and be able to live a life and get better quicker ? My main concern is that what if it will help , I have doctors in my area for subs , but so I need to test positive for her ion ? Pleas help

Post subject: Re: What to do
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:55 pm 

BMW,Welcome,
Those cravings are not going to just go away in the near future.
Our Opiate brains will talk us in to picking up know matter WHAT we will lose because of it.
They made Suboxone just for people like you BMW.
Getting on maintenance will save ypur life and inable you to start into recovery without the fear of relapse. The fact you have stopped is good, but also dangerous right now. Your tolerance is lower now. Greater risk for OD.
Please consider look for a sub provider now. It WILL WORK . You will be amazed. Treatment was the best thing i ever did for myself. Thatcwas 4 years ago..

Do not worry about not have sub in yoir system. Tell them what you have told us, the truth!

You may have to call a few drs in your area to find one with an opening, but keep looking.
There out there.

You can do this Bmw, its so much better living like this today than useing..

Razor...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank u so much that post helped and made me feel better , the only problem is is tbat my girlfriend thinks suboxones are bad and I will get addicted to them , and she thinks since I been off her ion for a week and a half that I can make it without anything but she doesn't understand thies cravings , and I don't expect Her to understand it but it's hard making her understand that I need other help and even tho she is the biggest help in my life , that thier may be something that will help even greater and make an end to this , all I want is to just have my mind on life , not on drugs to be able to run my life , it is terrivle and wanna get through this and I'm gonna try to talk to her about the suboxone a again and tell her that it will be for the better

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's so hard for our non addicted loved ones to understand, I know. However, there are sine great websites that you could direct her to where you and she could both read some accurate and valuable information about suboxone treatment. Here are a few to get you started. Dr Junig also had some educational videos on you tube that you can find by looking up the words, addiction remission.

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com
http://www.naabt.org
http://www.suboxone.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi BMW...

My heart really goes out to you in this situation. The good news is that you have a week and a half of clean time! That's so great! But you're right...that's only the first step. Staying clean long term is the ultimate goal. You have gotten some really good advice so far. Did you check out those links Lizzie posted? I would recommend it as well. But, just remember that even if your GF doesn't understand...you HAVE to do what is best for yourself.

It's been a few days since you posted...how you doing?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well unfortuniy not good did re lapse once few days ago been clean , my girlfriend has people in her life that went through this with people they care about and those people tried suboxone and didn't work for that Pearson so the pearson is saying to my girlfriend how bad suboxones are and that thier a way for doctors to make money , suboxone are only used for 7 days no longer EVER . Witch I find wrong . Idk how to get my mind off it , any suggestions so I don't relapse ? Idk how to show her they might help because thiers people that will brain wash her with negative even if I show her the positive , this girl means more then anything to me if u can't tell she's the only thing that is helping me wanna quit but keeping off is the hardest part I find

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:29 am 

its not the Stopping thats the hardest..its the Staying STOPPED that counts..
How are you going to stay stopped?
You gota a week in a half before relapse . Now what?.
Frankly, your girlfriend may just love you to death!!
If she truely deep down cares for your wellbeing, then to two of you
need to keep educating yourselves on just what Buprenorphine treatment is and can do for you. .

"In it for the money"? Detox for 7 days only, ever"!??
Drugs are bad,suboxone is a drug, so suboxone is bad"??

Sorry, but this medication saves lives, and if "OTHERS" didnt handled it correctly,didnt take it right, well that is on them.
This is your life to save B, nobody elses. Staying stopped, thats what this med is all about. To be used
for a time until recovery tools have been learned,people and friends have been changed and a stroug purpose in life is found. I do hope you find a Sub Dr asap before a relapse makes it to late.

My take on it.
Razor..

I hope you looked at the threads Lizzhugs provided for you to see.....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:00 am 

BMW, unfortunately addiction doesn't care how much u love ur girlfriend. I'm a mother and addiction didn't care that I had kids and as much as I love them, I could not stop for them. I tried so hard. But nobody can keep u clean but u. Whether she agrees or not, u need to find u a sub doctor. I totally get that u truly want her to understand but it doesn't look like she believes in subs. But that shouldn't be ur only reason to not go on and save ur life. IMO when u relapse, ur relationship is gonna be in bad shape also. Maybe if u can make a deal with her and tell her to give u time and let u show her how much better ur life will change when u start sub treatment...maybe she needs to just be shown how good it is for recovery. A lot of my family were big skeptics until time proved them wrong. I hate hearing about u struggling when I know that u know how badly u need this medication. Ur in my prayers man.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If I do convince her and get to a sub doc will they even give me subs ? She thinks I'm 3 weeks clean going on 4 , im realy only a week almost , since I relapsed once . Very disappointed but if I told the doc I was 3 weeks clean and going through bad cravings woyld he give me them ? Even tho I Shoyld tell her but the last thing I wanna do is break her heart again , reading ur comments and seeing tha some of u over came addiction makes me feel better , I even read them over sometimes Cuz it makes me feel thiers hope and boosts me , she thinks I just want "another drug " since I'm already 3 weeks clean , well kinda kinda not , so im gonna try convince her again , how much am I looking at if I go to the doctors ? Money wise ? My insurance says it covers like drug rehabs or something not sure what that means

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:50 pm 

We have a thing in recovery that we learn early on. Its called being honest and truthful no matter what.
Imo Bmw, thats where you shoukd start my friend. You can do this. This is for you and your life.
Let the chips fall where they may, that includes the gf and mostly your new sub dr when you find him/her..

Its best..

Cost, well call your ins co tomarrow and see.
Then find a dr who will take ins. Many do not but alot of them do..

Bmw, wer glad you are here and reading man.
Ask as many questions as you would like ok?

The truth is sub treatment could save your life and maybe the gf would see too...

Razor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You have to convince some girlfriend what you believe is best for you and your recovery? How on earth is that needed? Why does your girlfriend or anyone else for that matter get to decide how to best treat your addiction? It sounds like there is much more going on here. On top of that, as razor sort of implied, a realtionsjip built on lies is not going to work - whether that is a doctor-patient or boyfriend-girlfriend.

The relapse rate in the first year is as high as 90% for a reason. You need formal treatment to fix this. I would suggest that treatment be sub-based but others can work as well but you need professional help. Family and friends can mean well but they are not professionals. That is what you need - and if it were me, convincing a girlfriend would not be among the first steps to take.

Please call a professional and schedule an appointment for help. Please keep coming back here as well. Where others can give you guidance and support.

Don

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

BMW,

I'm so sorry that your girlfriend doesn't understand this issue. Everyone that has posted above is 100% correct. The thing she isn't seeing is that her ideas of how recovery works are totally antiquated and they just might wind up killing you. Alot of us here have had to deal with this exact situation. I did as well. Except I had a husband in my ear threatening to take my kids from me if I didn't get cleaned up. And no, he wasn't a big sub supporter...AT ALL! But, I made it work. I finally showed him, through my progress and hard work on my recovery, that it was the tool that could help me get free of opiates.

The fact is that there are alot of people in the world who have turned to suboxone expecting something that it never promised. It's not a magic pill. You still have to put in alot of hard work to stay clean. Some people don't want to do that. Those are the ones who fail. But I'm telling you, and so would thousands of other people, that it is a miracle! If you follow the program that will be laid out for you then you can absolutely live a life with your addiction under control. Your girlfriend may not get that at first, but if she loves you she will give you a chance to prove it to her. She needs to understand that suboxone isn't just trading one drug for another. It is trading a life of addiction for a life of whatever you want to make of it. Just look at the number of celebrities who have died recently because of relapsing after long periods of sobriety. It only take once dude...

As for the doctors not giving it to you, I don't think that will be an issue. Just tell them exactly what you told us. They get it, I promise!

Please call a doctor asap. Then take your gf with you to an appointment and let the doctor explain to her how this works. I'm sure she will feel much better about it when she gets some truth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm trying to find a doctor that perscribed suboxone in my area . I know 3 places off the top off my head , 2 have have no opens for about 2 weeks , the other is fucking stupid saying I need to call during business hours when I do so left a message , I'm looking online for other ones , does it have to be like a clinic ? Or can like a normal doctor, not one for drug help , perscribe me them ? I found numbers online in my area . But scared that if I see a doctor that isn't specialized in the drug area that he will take me as a joke or junkie being how long I havent used for , should I try any doctor that can perscribe them and go give them a visit ? What I'm scared also is that one doctor says " ur doing good u don't need them it would be no point " when that may not be true but I'm scared that will happen and my girlfriend will say no more u heard what he said , I feel I have one shot at getting the right doc . Maybe I'm just over worried and anxious and just freaking out a bit , idk , I'm not the greatest at talking to people , ever since I stopped using i been freaking out at my girlfriend talking bad , sometimes I don't mean to and don't kno how to deal with it Cuz so much is going on in my mind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:44 pm 

Ok BMW, I understand your worries. However this may take some work on your part.
Those two places you called, did you get on there waiting list? You should. Also, call them back, both of tbem everyday fill they say yes!
We just had this talk at the clinic i go to with our dr. The need is so great to get in many places use a first come first served. So call often. You d be surprised how fast you can get in.

And no, you can not call just any dr to get sub treatment.
Suboxone Drs need a special waver from the government to persribe Buprenorphine.
So that idea wont belp you.
There are clinic settings were you go once a week for a time then move on to once a month.
Also, there are office only visits. Thats were you see a doc for your treatment privately. Those are your choises.
You dont want a clinic where you go Every morning like a methadone clinic.
Always ask these places how they work there program. If loug term treatment is available. Thats what i wanted
and got it..
You can do this BMW, you havd to be forceful and vigorous. Keep bugin them till an opening pops up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:13 pm 

Hey BMW, u said in an earlier post that u have insurance right? If so maybe u can call them and ask if they have a doctor in ur network or something. I'm not very familiar with how that works unfortunately but I know when I did have insurance in the past I called my insurance about rehab recommendations, so maybe its a possibility. Also when ur dealing with addicts, they cancel a lot lol so calling these places bk is a great idea because I guarantee someone who has an apt will cancel and they can pencil u right in there. And two weeks on waiting isn't bad either, that's about how long I had to wait. It's so worth all this effort I promise. Do whatever u have to in order to get u an appointment. That craziness in ur head right now is so hard to deal with and will make u relapse so incredibly quick. Ur not physically using and that's great, but the craving is a monster that most of us cannot control for long without help. I'm so glad ur gonna take the step to do this, don't give up. Call that one that said business hours bk and keep calling, leave a hundred messages if u have to. Good luck and please let us know what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sometimes it is a bit hard to find a doctor that can prescribe suboxone who is a good fit for you. There are alot of them that will require you to do a fairly quick taper, but there are starting to be more and more that understand the long term consequences of this disease and are willing to look at long-term/lifetime maintenance. You are definitely going to have to be proactive here and do some calling and ask the hard questions.

The bigger issue here, as far as I'm concerned, is the fact that you don't seem to be prepared to work as hard at getting your addiction under control as you are at maintaning your addiction. That might sound harsh, I promise I don't mean to be, but this is a serious subject. Taking the step to get yourself into a doctor is only the beginning of a long journey, BMW. I think you really need to figure out if you are serious enough about saving your own life to do WHATEVER it takes to get there...

As for finding a doctor. You can go to the NAABT website and see which doctors in your area are currently accepting patients. Other options would be cold calling primary care physicians in your area, or maybe some rehab facilities. Do you not have ANY friends within your circle that have used suboxone? I have found personal recommendations to be the most accurate way to judge how a doctor will treat you. I have even called pharmacies before to find out which doctors in the area prescribed suboxone through their pharmacy. Some places won't release the info, but some will. Another good option would be calling some counselors in the area, especially those who specialize in addiction treatment. If they don't prescribe it themselves, they are bound to know those who will.

Call back all 3 of the doctors you have already talked to and get put on their waiting list immediately. An opening can come up unexpectedly at any time, you just have to be on the list when it does.

Good luck, I hope you get to work on this quickly BMW. You are worth whatever effort it takes to get yourself help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What did you mean about im not working as hard at maintaining it ? And I'm not taking nothing harsh any advice is helpful and everyone is being very helpful , honestly more then I thought , but today the one called me back , didn't realize till they were closed so calling tomorrow and if they don't have opening soon gonna make app anyway and ask for other places , didn't call other places today because wanted to try to convince my girlfriend it will help today , told her how I felt etc , didn't go as planed or I woyld like , she thinks I'm swapping one for another and that she Shoyld be able to make me not crave it and other stuff so we fought , she just donot understand , somebody said on this post I gotta do what I thinks best and I am and going to get to doc whatever she says , sadly . Because I wanna fix things with her and my life , had a bad dream last night I got some and woke up all sweaty thinking I have it till I relized I was dreaming

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

im just hoping the cost , might be only thing getting in my way of getting this help

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bmw123 wrote:
What did you mean about im not working as hard at maintaining it ? And I'm not taking nothing harsh any advice is helpful and everyone is being very helpful , honestly more then I thought , but today the one called me back , didn't realize till they were closed so calling tomorrow and if they don't have opening soon gonna make app anyway and ask for other places , didn't call other places today because wanted to try to convince my girlfriend it will help today , told her how I felt etc , didn't go as planed or I woyld like , she thinks I'm swapping one for another and that she Shoyld be able to make me not crave it and other stuff so we fought , she just donot understand , somebody said on this post I gotta do what I thinks best and I am and going to get to doc whatever she says , sadly . Because I wanna fix things with her and my life , had a bad dream last night I got some and woke up all sweaty thinking I have it till I relized I was dreaming

What I meant was this. We have to remember how hard we worked trying to score, or get our fix when we were living in active addiction. Now that you are trying to get help, you have to be willing to do just as much to find this treatment, as you used to be willing to do to get your drugs in order to maintain your addiction. Make sense? This has to be on your mind every second, just like it would have been on your mind every second where your next fix was coming from.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your gf really doesn't understand anything at all about how addiction works. It would be so wonderful if you could find an addiction counselor to work with you and her together. as much as she wants to believe she can fix you, it just wont happen. And, it won't mean that you don't love her more than anything else in the world...but that is more than likely how she will feel. If she doesn't take time to educate herself about your disease it is going to drive a wedge in between the two of you.

Q

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:43 pm 

Q is right on. Please listen to her!

Amy