It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all,

I have been clean for a few months now and have always passed the urine test the give me in the waiting room, prior to seeing my Doctor. Here is where my question comes into play. Recently I have been feeling a lot better than I initially did when i first began taking the Suboxone. So, I have been cutting back my dosage, not dramatically, but enough to feel some withdrawal symptoms. So to compensate for these symptoms and to help me sleep at night I have been taking Xanax. Now some of them had been prescribed to me, many years ago, and I still had them left over. Others were given to me by friends who had some similar experiences. Basically my question is - do Suboxone Doctors test for Xanax or other Benzo's?? I'm quite sure that my Doctor does NOT send away my urine sample to a lab or anything like that, because as soon as I hand the sample to the nurse she looks and these three strips, for a moment, that are on the urine sample bottle. I really just want to know if most Suboxone Doctors test for banzos, OR JUST FOR OPIATES when you come in for your appointment. My appointment is this Friday, August 3rd. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE respond, people. It would mean the world to me, and since we're all in in together on this site, I think as many answers/opinions/suggestions as possible would be excellent and help me out a whole lot!!

Post subject: Might not be of help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:08 pm 

Hi wood-blood,

First off I'd like to welcome you to the forum and hope you get as much pleasure from it that I and others do. It has been a life saver for me.

I don't think anyone can tell you what exactly your doctor tests for. It is up to him to request what he wants but I can tell you what my last two doctors tested for. My last Dr. did a UA and the test was mostly to see if Suboxone was present. Not even sure they tested for Hydro or Oxycodone but my guess is yes they do. And I too have taken benzo's with no problem after the test. My new Dr. does a saliva test where I suck on a weird piece of I don't know what. But same thing, no talk about the benzo's in my system. That doesn't mean yours won't test for it. Their main concern is that you are taking the Suboxone and not selling it to buy street drugs. That is what the nurse at my first Dr's office told me.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. As a betting man, I'd put my money on you being in the clear.

Let us know what happened and once again, Welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi woodstownBLOOD -

My doctor doesn't drug test me, but we get a lot of stories on here about docs that DO test for benzos. Some people have had problems with testing positive. Now that said, it doesn't necessarily mean YOUR doctor will have an issue with it. If s/he does, you can plead ignorance, which is obviously true. And just be honest with her/him.

Every doctor is different, you just never know. Good luck with it and welcome to the forum. See you around. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Last edited by hatmaker510 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My doctor is super-hella-anti- benzos....Where I go you get one pass...after that if your caught peeing dirty for benzos your out the program! I'm sure b/c the 2 drugs have been proven fatal that he will most definitly test you for benzos. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Every doctor is different tho.
I wish you the best of luck and success w/ your program BLOOD..
Fingers crossed for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum! My doctor is on an anti benzo mission too. He tests me every single appointment for opiates, cocaine, THC, PCP, meth, barbituates, and benzos. I tested positive for benzos for 6 weeks straight. This was after taking valium 3x a day for two weeks before getting inducted on suboxone. He also tesst every single appointment for suboxone. I am not worried about it because I take my sub as prescribed, and I am not on any other medication. I only take melatonin at night to sleep.

I would just tell him that you took it. Ask him what his position is on benzos, and go from there. If you don't tell him, there is the chance that it could keep coming up in your screens for a little while, depending on how often you keep taking it. It's not like you are a year into treatment and this came up. Take care of it early that way you can just plead ignorant like someone else suggested. I think you will be just fine!

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am new at thread also, but I am new at seeing pain management doctors.
When the nurse uses the test strips on your UDT, htye are looking for obvious drugs that are supposed to be there and not supposed to be there. They can still send the UDT sample off to a lab for further analysis, I know most of them do send the sameple off to a lab. The few stick test(s) they do at the clinic is just not comprehensive enough for them to even safely protect their license. If the patient has insurance, then the UDT when sent to a lab often undergoes gc/ma testing. It is more money for the clinic.