It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: what mg should i take?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started taking suboxone on May 18. I started on 8mg twice a day and have been doing this every since. Well yesterday i decided to take only 4mg at about 9:15am and i felt fine all day. I had no ctavings or anything at all and didnt take anymore. This mornig at about 10:00 am i took 2mg and i have felt fine normal all day and dont feel the need or want to take more. So my question is what mg should i be takin or should i keep taking less and see how it works? I have felt i guess you would say normal both days and have had no cravings. When i was taking the 16 mg a day i felt like i was euphoric feeling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Be careful there pill. The halflife with these subs will not let you feel w/ds right away. I would suggest only dropping 2mg at a time and allow your body to adjust to that doseage at least a wk if not 2 wks. then, drop another 2mg for another wk or 2. Then once you get to 4mg it would be best to only drop 1mg at a time for a wk or 2. By all means, if you drop from 16mg a day to 4mg you MAY start w/ds in a couple days, but not right away. Most ppl that drop drastically dont feel them because of the halflife. Apparently, 16mg is too much for you. My suggestion would be try 4mg in the AM and 4mg in the afternoon and stay there for a wk or 2. If you have no ill effects, try 2mg in the AM and 2mg in the PM. There are really lots of ways to taper so thats really on you. Too much Too quickly will end in w/ds.

Again, be careful.

Keep us posted on how your doing also. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the info. I didnt even think about the half life. The past 2 days i havent felt amy withdrawels at all.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:29 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I believe that the high doseage (16mg) you started at will linger in your system a few days so that the 2mg you took today and again the next time will keep the w/ds from hitting but if you stay at 2mg for a few days you will feel it eventually. When I 1st got my subs I was scripted to take 24mgs a day!! I NEVER took that much. I started at 12mg (1.5 pills) 3/4 in the AM and 3/4 in the PM. I was at that mg for about a year and dropped to 8mg. I stayed there for a while and dropped to 6mg a day for a loooong time. My last dr visit I was giving a qty of 90 8mg script and released! That was November of last year and I kept tapering really slowly until I was at 2mg a day for around 2 mos. I jumped off 16 days ago and still had 10 subs left from the 90 I was written in Nov!! This can be done but it takes a strong mind and the will to do it. Ill be around for a while discussing w/ds and such in hopes that more ppl will build enough courage to jump also. It can be done- WE WILL WIN!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

95 is right...suboxone has a mean (average) half-life of 37 hours, so it can take 2-3 days before you may notice a drop in your dosage. I would agree with the advice you received about dropping much slower and giving yourself time to adjust in between dose drops. The slower and lower your taper is, the less suffering you'll endure in the way of acute and post-acute withdrawals.

Be prepared to handle cravings and triggers and all of life's ups and downs on your own, so you might want to find other ways to "treat" your addiction, such as meetings or therapy or addiction counseling. You'll still have your old active addiction bad habits in place and you'll want to change those and adapt new, healthy coping skills. Normally, being on suboxone, addressing our cravings, gives us a safety net to address all those things until we're ready to go off. Since you'll be going off after short term treatment on sub, just be vigilant and very prepared for cravings and triggers to surprise you. In my opinion that's your best bet to be successful and avoid relapse. The rate of relapse for people going off sub after short term treatment is very high....give yourself the best chances to succeed and get some new "tools" for your remission. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you're doing. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks 95 and hat for your reply. And 95 i actually just read a couple of your post about jumping and it does give me hope and encouragement that i can/will and am gonna do this. I have to im only 23 right now and believe that now is the time for me i am mentally and emotionally and physically ready. As for hat i am doing counseling to help. I have began exercising already and taking a combination of diff B vitamins. Im gonna do this for my daughter and more so for myself. Once i opened up to my significant other about my addiction everything seemed easier. He understands and more than willing to help and be by my side bc he watched his bestfriend spiral downward from pills and eventually OD. I will keep everyone posted on how im doing. And once again thinks for the support. U guys are truly heaven sent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

pillsrhell - Are you going to try to stay at that lower dose to see if that's all you need? I was prescribed 24mgs at induction, but found out the very first week that I didn't even need 8mg, so I cut down within just a few days to 4mg, and that is where I'm stable at now. I just wanted to try to find the lowest dose possible to keep me out of withdrawal and keep my cravings away, and 4mg seems to do the trick!

Good luck to you, and welcome to the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Taurus- As of right now yes i am going to try to stay at the 2mg a day. Im like u i want to be at the lowest dose possible without having cravings or withdrawels. And as of right now the 2mg seems to be doing the job. I have also been walking and taking a vitamin B complex. And thanks for the welcome.

Post subject: Hi there!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Greetings,

Hope you are doing well. I would have to agree with the others and say, be real, real careful. I once made a very bad decision to try and just jump off while I was still doing 32 mgs or 4 tabs a day, and boy after 5 or 6 days I was just fine, and then the w/d's hit. I have never, ever felt so bad in my life.

I guess no-one can tell you how fast to taper off, or when to jump off completely. Your body will be the one to let you know.

I am no expert, but I can tell you that in 7 months I went down from 4 pills to right now I am schedule to go down to .5 or one half a pill a day.

If you think about it, thats a nice progression at least for me, and doing it I have felt no problems in reducing...Nothing like cutting back or being out of the oxy's as before.

I believe you want to be totally off, and that day will come soon.

Aloha
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the reply Samurai. I am being very careful. And you are so right about me wanting to be off but at the same time i am taking it 1 day at atime. As for now i am sticking to the 2mg a day. I have been doing this for about 3 days and so far everything is good. I have had no cravings or withdrawels so far and pray that i dont. And if it comes 2 be that i need to go up 2 4mg i will do so and stabilize then taper back down. But for now its 2mg a day one day at a time.

Post subject: time too
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello P,

It is very fortunate that you discovered for yourself the minimal optimum amount to meet your needs. You have rather quickly varied the amount down to 2mg and say your intention is to taper.

Two mg is relatively small, but not absolutely -- as the big hurdle for most people is the transition from even a lower level to none at all. So as of now time is on your side. You must strike a balance between gaining the advantage of and early taper down-- with tapering too fast for your system.

Based on what you have done thus far, and the resulting success, it would be a mistake to just sit at 2 mg for a long period of time just because it is "relatively" small. For example, after a year the transition to nothing could be very bad indeed.
And that would be suffering later for no good reason.

By being very careful and accurate (as you seem to be) you can continue to test and see how little will work for you.
Amount and time are the two variable and the time one cannot be changed later. It is here, now.

It is amazing what works for some people. In France there are places that might have you on .2 mg. (one fifth) during a relatively quick taper. It is up to you to get this just right so please continue your careful experiment.

The only thing that could blindside you now is thinking there is no need to taper. In fact it is the perfect and only real food time to see what you can do. you can always go back to a higher level - but you only get one time when it is
"early" in the process. I think you are saying you are trying to taper to zero - and if that is the case then one thing is for sure true--- more time passing never helped do this.

It is a balace - and you are the one who knows how to get to your goal. It is just a little bit too easy to let too much time go buy when "early" only comes once. Doing the opposite of a taper can always be done.

good luck getting what you want - you are making your own luck.

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Scruffy- i cimpletly agree with you. Yesterday i took 2mg again but everyday i am taking it later and later in the day. Im mentally ready and prepared to be off. To me its all about your mind frame and will power. It might sound crazy but i have put it in my mind that the medication actually makes me sick instead of helping me. And this has worked for me. Its all physcological to me. Anyways i am going to continue to post about what seems to be working for me. Tomorrow i will drop to 1mg and see how well i do. As of now i have had no WDs or cravings and this is day 5 on 2mg. As of now i havent took 2mg today yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:05 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey pillsrhell. I just wanted to say that you sound like you have a great plan and I think you will totally be successful. I just jumped off 1.5mg 13 days ago and I am doing pretty great, all things considered. I think the worst part of the ordeal was the anticipation of jumping. I was scared out of my mind but I kept up the courage to jump off and I did it. And 13 days out, I am feeling pretty good, I've still got insomnia and minor, minor fatigue but that is about it. I am the biggest scardey cat in the world, so if I can do this, I know you can do this!