It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I thought this might be a good topic so that people who have questions about what medications are generally OK to take with Suboxone could get some answers. Obviously, everyone is different and will react differently to medications, but for the most part, I think it would be helpful to see what medication combinations some of us are on. So, I'll start:

Other than suboxone, I take:

Lipitor - 10mg daily - Obviously this is a cholesterol lowering medication
Protonix -40mg daily- this is for acid refulx
Atenolol - 50mg daily - for high blood pressure
Norvasc - 5mg daily - also for high blood pressure

Hypertension runs in the family, and I'm a little bit overweight right now, which doesn't help. I'm not obese (I'm 5'10" tall, athletically built, and weigh about 220lbs)

Anyway, obviously, if you are on any of these medications, you should be able to safely take suboxone, but as always, you should consult a qualified physician before taking or ceasing to take any medication.

Post subject: You'll flip at my list.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good topic, Junkie, because you're right, we get a lot of posts from people asking what meds they can take with their suboxone.

Well, you all won't believe what meds I take, but here goes:

Metoprolol - a beta blocker for my heart rate;
Celexa - antidepressant;
Lamictal - mood stabilizer;
Abilify - mood stabilizer;
Prevastatin - for high cholesterol;
Humira - a TNF/Immune blocker;
Trazodone - for sleep;
Elmiron - a bladder medication;
Omeprazole - for acid reflux; and
Zanaflex - a muscle relaxer.

I know, I know, I'm on a SHITLOAD of medications. :oops: It's crazy, but believe me, I'm actually a pretty healthy person, although I admit I'm overweight and don't exercise enough. Anyway, needless to say, all these meds are just fine to take with suboxone.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Verapamil 240 mg - hypertension
Levothyroxine 150 mcg - thyroid
Celexa 40 mg - antidepressant
Enalapril 10 mg - hypertension
Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg - hypertension
Ambien 10 mg - sleep

Gosh it looks like a lot when you see it written down!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

very good idea junkie this thread is gonna be so helpfull.

Well lets see im on a few meds

Suboxone 16mgs 24 if needed- For pain mang. and addiction
Prozac 80 Mgs- For obsessive compulsive disorder/ Panic attacks
Lunesta 2mgs- For Sleeping this one is to keep me a sleep
Seroquel 100mgs- For Sleeping this one is to put me to sleep aka knock me out lol
Desmopressin 0.2mgs- For Over active bladder due to my OCD/Panic Attacks
Vesicare 10mgs- For Over active bladder due to my OCD/Panic Attacks
Amitiza 24mcg- B4 bed for Constipation due to Suboxone
Lactulose 10gm 15ml- B4 Dinner for Constipation due to Suboxone
and OCT
Miralax Half a cap full twice a day for Constipation due to Suboxone

Yea i have a lot of shit and pee problems lol. But i did it to myself i never had mental health issues till i got to deep into narcotics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll play! Actually, I'm now on fewer medications than I have been in the last 10 years.

levothyroixine- for hypothyroidism
amerge - when I get migraine, 2 - 3 times per month usually. This med has changed my life.
ambien- very rarely for sleep. I got 30 of these over a year ago and I have 6 left.

I also take:

Vitamin D - 2500 IU per day

Before Suboxone I used take:

Armour Thyroid (had to switch because I can't get this medication anymore)
Wellbutrin (antidepressant)
Zoloft (antidepressant)
Clonazepam (antianxiety)
Amerge (migraine)
Topamax (migraine)
Tizanadine (migraine)
Methacarbamol (fibromyalgia)
Lyrica (fibromyalgia)
Nasonex (allergy/sinus infections)

Getting on Sub and then taking better care of my health allowed me to discontinue a lot of the drugs I was taking. Definitely simplifies life quite a bit!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Diary -

I've been meaning to ask you...How is your fibro doing since you stopped the suboxone? You mentioned you used to be on Lyrica...It sounds like you don't take anything for it anymore? (I'll bet the vitamin B helps though.) For me, between my zanaflex and the sub, my pain is usually at a constant 2-3 on the pain scale, but with bad days upwards of a 5. I was just wondering how you are managing the pain these days.

**BTW, I forgot to list that I also take Vitamin B-100, Vitamin D, and Levocarnitine (all of which are for the chronic fatigue.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:21 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

oh, poo, I forgot:

Miralax 17 gm daily - constipation
Imitrex 100 mg - as needed - migraine
Imitrex 6 mg SQ - as needed - migraine

Post subject: Other Meds.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Nexium - 20 mg's 1 a day (for Ulcers)
[b]Suboxone[/b] - 20mg's a day
Colace - for constpation
Klonopin 1 mg 2 x's a day for Anxiety
Citricell - Fiber powder
Mirilax - as needed
& I am TRYING to get back on my ADHD meds. I have an appointment this week for that. (Concerta)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hat- I don't take anything for fibro anymore. All of the meds they offered gave me side effects that were worse than just dealing with the pain.

I've used trigger point therapy and yoga and exercise generally, I'd say my pain level is around a 2-3 most days. I'm better in the summer and eventually I'd like to move back to CO - I don't think the PNW climate is good for me.

The Vitamin D was a huge help - I had my levels tested and they were very low. For a while I was on a prescription mega-dose of D and the difference it made in my energy level was remarkable.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so glad to hear you're managing your fibro well. I also did the prescription mega-dose of Vitamin D for about 3 months and you're so right about it helping. The levocarnitine is really good for fatigue, too, if you've never tried it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey hat got a quick question for you about Trazodone?

How does it work for you sleep wise. like would you say it puts you to sleep or helps keep you a sleep?

Cause Seroquel was a last option for me when i first started it cause benzos were not a option with my drug addiction history and i tryed everything else besides trazodoen and nothing worked besides the seroquel. And i love it cause it works so good for mel but i hate it at the same time cause of the famous negative side affect of it weight gain and then trying to loose the weight. Ive put on 20 pounds and i bust my ass as hard as i can to work out with my knee injury to lose it but im stuck at 245. so im considering other options to bring up to my doctors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think the Trazodone helps me both fall asleep and stay asleep. Even if I wake up I can usually fall back asleep fairly quickly. I don't care for Seroquel myself because it is so damn sedating - more so than most sleep meds. My husband's doctor prescribed him Seroquel and he took it once - he slept for over 16 hours the first day and another 12 the next day. Not the kind of sleep he was looking for. But that's just our experience.

I've been on all sorts of sleep meds in the past and I prefer Trazodone. It's actually an atypical antidepressant that's commonly used for sleep these days. Normal dose range is between 100-400 mg. Some people feel groggy the first few mornings after starting it, but that goes away. I wake up feeling great - no sleeping pill hangover at all.

Do you find you have a hangover in the mornings from the Seroquel? Or do you have a hard time waking up in the morning? It's a pretty powerful medication. Maybe it would be worth it to give the Trazodone a try.

Let us know how it works out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
I think the Trazodone helps me both fall asleep and stay asleep. Even if I wake up I can usually fall back asleep fairly quickly. I don't care for Seroquel myself because it is so damn sedating - more so than most sleep meds. My husband's doctor prescribed him Seroquel and he took it once - he slept for over 16 hours the first day and another 12 the next day. Not the kind of sleep he was looking for. But that's just our experience.

I've been on all sorts of sleep meds in the past and I prefer Trazodone. It's actually an atypical antidepressant that's commonly used for sleep these days. Normal dose range is between 100-400 mg. Some people feel groggy the first few mornings after starting it, but that goes away. I wake up feeling great - no sleeping pill hangover at all.

Do you find you have a hangover in the mornings from the Seroquel? Or do you have a hard time waking up in the morning? It's a pretty powerful medication. Maybe it would be worth it to give the Trazodone a try.

Let us know how it works out.

Thankyou so much for your response im gonna talk with my dr about this 100% now.

As of the seroquel I def had both of those feeling next day sleep pill hang over and cause of that a hard time wakeing up. But over time my body got use to it, but if i dont get at least 10 hours of sleep i can not function the next day 100% cause like you said it is a very powerfull drug. But if i dont get at least 10 hours i def have the next day hangover more then anything. and then add 16 mgs of suboxone to that i feel like oh god i feel like im so out of it that i have no idea whats going on around me some days. And i cant drive if i dont get enough sleep on seroquel i cant do anything if i dont get enough sleep on it PERIOD. But if i get a good 10 hours of or so I FEEL LIKE A MILLION BUCKS. But when all is said and done the weight gain really affects my mood. when you have OCD and your body isnt perfect or perfect in that persons mind it drives you nuts.

I got to get off it so im gona talk to my dr about other options for sure but im gonna bring up Traz. first.

But one sleep med that i cant touch is AMbien that med ruined my life. I wouldnt sleep all night but then as soon as i wake up eat breakfast i pass out and sleep till 7pm. it was basiclly like i worked a night job then slept the day away. which ruined my life in so many ways school and grades, my friendships and most of all my gurl was barely able to see me besides on weekends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hat -

Do you have to get the levocarnitine from your doctor or is the OTC supplement version basically the same thing?

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I get it as a prescription, but I'm sure you could use the over the counter products, too. I'm betting the difference is the dosage/milligrams. I'm prescribed 330 mg, three times a day. It helps me tremendously. I ran out of them not too long ago and boy did I realize just how much it was helping my fatigue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:42 pm 
bboy - I just read yesterday that there's a class action lawsuit against the makers of seroquil for adverse reactions in young people (not sure what). I'm really leary of that stuff because it screwed up my brother mentally. I don't know why docs prescribe it for sleep because it's actually a potent antipsychotic. It should really be a medication of last resort IMO. So, yeah, definately talk to your doc, and I would google that lawsuit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's interesting, Lilly. I totally agree that it should be a medication of last resort only. When I said my husband was prescribed it, his (our) doctor was trying to treat his ANXIETY. WTF? I was pissed when I learned he gave him Seroquel for that! He didn't try anything else first. It's crazy how they use Seroquel for so many things when, like you said, it's a very potent anti-psychotic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Years ago (before Suboxone, before addiction actually) I was talking to my doctor about my antidepressant (wellbutrin) and how it was working well but that I still got very moody and anxious during the week before my period. She suggested that I could add Zoloft to my vast array of psych-meds and that it might help manage the dread PMS (PMDD?).

I'd taken Zoloft before on it's own and tolerated it well so I decided to give it a try. At this point my life was going well, I was in school and generally happy but for the PMS which royall sucked and caused me to act like a raving madwoman.

Well, the combo of Wellbutrin and Zoloft gave me seretonin syndrome. I became paranoid, had intrusive thoughts about things like bridges collapsing as I drove over or under them, I started to hallucinate - seeing things out of the corner of my eyes, words melting and moving around on the page when I tried to read. I became so anxious that I could barely leave the house, and I couldn't sleep or really function at all. This all happened in a matter of a few weeks, but because I was so paranoid I wasn't telling anyone. Ah, mental illness, you are so fun!

Finally, my partner was like what the hell is going on with you? I told him and he hopped on the computer and figured out that it was the Zoloft. I went right to the doctor and she confirmed and told me to quit taking it.

Then she gave me a Seroquel pill from a sample that she had in her office. If I had known more about it I never would have taken it. Holy shit. That thing made me fall asleep for like 16 hours and when I woke up I felt like I was run over by a truck and I could not. stop. eating. She wanted me to keep taking it but I said no thanks. My "psychosis" was medication induced and when I looked up what Seroquel was for I realized there was no need for me to have ever taken it. Just stopping the Zoloft and maybe taking a Klonopin would have worked just fine.

So that's my Seroquel story. I'm always shocked when I hear that people take it for anxiety or insomnia. Maybe other people just tolerate it better than I did, but with it's profile of harmful side effects taking Seroquel for anything less than full-blown schizophrenic psychosis just seems like overkill to me.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Early 2009 I was in the BSU for two weeks for severe depression and a suicide attempt. They were giving me a whole cupful of pills and I didn't care at the time. I know one was Seroquel, though. Anyhow, I too ended up with serotonin syndrome because of the meds, and how scary that was! I just remember not being able to focus, and trying to tell the Dr. and the staff, and my husband, that I was drugged and that I could not think at all. I was basically drooling on myself, and was hardly functional at that point. Finally the doctor did listen and cut down or d/c'd a lot of the meds, and within 2-3 days I was almost myself again. Serotonin syndrome was terrifying.

~Rossma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lilly wrote:
bboy - I just read yesterday that there's a class action lawsuit against the makers of seroquil for adverse reactions in young people (not sure what). I'm really leary of that stuff because it screwed up my brother mentally. I don't know why docs prescribe it for sleep because it's actually a potent antipsychotic. It should really be a medication of last resort IMO. So, yeah, definately talk to your doc, and I would google that lawsuit.

wow thats crazy thankyou for the information. I def want to get off seroquel very much and im def gonna talk with my Dr about Trazodone.

But i cant put it on my dr cause seroquel was my Last Resort sleeping med. I had no other options cause benzos were out of the question after a quick scare. My dr gave me Restoril (temazepam) which is like in the top 2 strongest sleeping pills that can be leagally perscribed and well lets just say after 4 days my mom flushed them down the shitter cause she saw all my old addict habbits starting to form around that med. and everything else didnt work Ambien ruined my life for 2 months and all the other meds in that class didnt work. so the combination of Seroquel and Lunesta was tryed and i have slept great for the past year now knock on wood.

But i want to get off seroquel so bad cause the weight gain side affect makes me so upset. im 6 feet 4 inch my normal weight for me is 225 but sincei started that shit i was up to 245 250 in weeks. and now the scale is stuck no matter how much i work out it doesnt budge. and when you have a bad knee i basiclly am putting myself in pain to try and lose the weight which makes me hate it that much more.

But thanks again for the info i def will check that out.