It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Suboxone-16 MG
Levothyroxine 100MCG-For an under active thyroid.
Prazosin-The Prazosin is an interesting story. My doctor at an addiction seminar heard that Prazosin which is an alpha-blocker can help with night time cravings which is good because my cravings pretty much came exclusively at night. Anyways, the medication has worked well as I have been on it since July.
Valtrex- Just kidding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You are not going to believe this! Our doctor AGAIN put my husband on Seroquel for sleep. He's still been having trouble sleeping even though he's been on Ambien, Lunesta, etc. This time instead of 150 mg (WTF?), he prescribed him 25 mg.

Well, it's 10:30 am and I've tried waking my husband up a few times, to no avail. When I do manage to stir him a little, he sounds downright drunk. I'm so pissed off at this doctor! He didn't bother to try Trazodone or anything else before giving him a super powerful anti-psychotic. I know my husband was desperate to get some sleep, but I'm not happy about this.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Interesting. Some of you guys are on a fairly large number of pills all colours of the rainbow! I too have been on large cocktails in the past, thanks to my psychiatric condition. These days, after discussing it with my doc, I try to keep things minimal. Less strain on my liver / kidneys, as well as my bank account.

Anyway:

Lithium - 450mg evening for Bipolar 1
Epilim - 500mg morning and night for Bipolar 1.
Suboxone - 4mg morning 2mg evening (just because pharmacy cbf working out a more even morn / night split, even though it isn't that hard!)

My own personal additions (cleared by pDoc):
6000mg fish oil daily - despite some people calling it "snake oil", I do notice a difference to my mood regulation when I take it.
I also take SAMe supplements when i feel a mood-drop coming on. I prefer SAMe to conventional anti-depressants as it doesn't feel as mind-altering to me as SSRI's (which feel like dirty amphetamines/ecstacy when I first take them!). While they don't lift my mood as much as a prescription anti-depressant, they lift me just enough to prevent the couch lock and allow other techniques to benefit a la CBT / ACT / exercise. I also don't need to up my mood-stabilisers when I take it as it doesn't flip me into mania as much as Effexor / Pristiq / whatever flavour of the month anti-dep my doc has been flown to a resort convention by some Pharma Company for.

I could say a lot about my strong views on the over-prescription of psych medications. But I'll hold back. I think most people who've read a few of my posts know my stance on these kind of things (even though I snuck one in!)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
You are not going to believe this! Our doctor AGAIN put my husband on Seroquel for sleep. He's still been having trouble sleeping even though he's been on Ambien, Lunesta, etc. This time instead of 150 mg (WTF?), he prescribed him 25 mg.

Well, it's 10:30 am and I've tried waking my husband up a few times, to no avail. When I do manage to stir him a little, he sounds downright drunk. I'm so pissed off at this doctor! He didn't bother to try Trazodone or anything else before giving him a super powerful anti-psychotic. I know my husband was desperate to get some sleep, but I'm not happy about this.

Im sorry to hear that hat it kills me to think that dr are giving this out for sleep after all the research i did about it and unless you have a serious mental health issue then this medication is not for anyone that is just healthy and looking for a good sleep medication. even last option i think they should try benzos b4 this crap i wish my mom never flushed those pill down the shitter cause ill be dead honest with you i rather be addicted to benzos for sleep then takeing seroquel any longer. And my mom said the same thing when i first started seroquel that trying to wake me up was like trying to wake up a drunk after a long night of drinking. luckily that went away after a couple weeks.

What kills me is i recently switched to my family dr to write all my scripts for all my meds now and he does as long as i see my head dr twice a month. He always did just my suboxone. anyways when he first read my sleeping pill dose he laughed and said shit thats enough to knock out a fucking horse how do you even wake up in the morning thats just to much. 5 mintues later hes writing me the same dose. its like my dr realized that it was way to much seroquel but still wrote the script out for it??????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I’ll play along for the sake of helping others…

Suboxone (down to 6mg daily)
Nexium (heartburn)
Pristiq (depression)
Xanax (depression/anxiety) (2mg daily prior to Suboxone, .5mg daily now) **note: I do not recommend taking Suboxone and Xanax together. My SUB DR made me wean down pretty quickly since the interactions can be bad, even fatal**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i never had trouble sleeping until i got on zanax and after i got off the zanax (which was prescribed to me for over two years) i couldnt sleep at all without sleeping pills.

suboxone - 4-6mg/day

remeron (sleeping pill)- generic is mirtazapine its very strong but i tworks great. i was taking trazadone before that and i still sometimes mix the rememeron and trazadone but the trazadone makes me feel weird and the remeron makes me sleep but feel normal and i feel fine the next day and ive been taking it for a couple years and have never gotten an immunity to it. In fact i have been able to cut my dose in half since i got on subs. According to one of the dr's at detox trazadone and remeeron both work as anti depressants as well. I havent needed any anti dep in years but who knows maybe it helps me a little. OH ITS ALSO VERY CHEAP...THE GENERIC IS LIKE 9.99 WITH MY WALGREENS CARD AND NO INSURANCE - i read a couple posts back people were discussing trazadone so i thought id add my information on sleeping pills. I cant take ambien because i hallucinate, which some may think is fun....lol...but i dont like seeing shit that isnt there.

also i take vistaryl for acute anxiety. I rarely take it but if im having weird flashbacks or hard therapy sessions i will take one to help me sleep so i dont have crazy flashback dreams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:34 am 
I take:

Subutex:(14mg's 1x daily) Subutex is a medication that brought me back from a place called hell. Oh wait, you all know that because this is a sub forum huh? lol

Klonopin:(.5mg's 1x daily)I take this for anxiety disorder.

And thats all folks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all,

Suboxone 16-24mg
Paxil 30mg
Clonidine 0.1mg BID
Trimethoprim 100mg BID

I posted another thread in the side effects section detailing my trials with various other medications and all that stuff. I hope to be like you guys and add a low dose of my long lost lover clonazepam to my day. 0.5mg is plenty, I'd probably split it up even. Oh well. I'm in the process of acquiring from the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i used protonix i am not know about others and not their effects so nice to know about others thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I've been off subs for over four months, but while on it I took these regular meds:

Zestril, Cardizem CD, and Zoloft

I also tried out a number of meds to help with sleep:

Seroquel, Remeron, Trazadone, and Ambien

None worked very well except the ambien.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

:? <These little faces are the best I just like use n them. :lol: So its six mgs of subox and one to two .5mg klonapin per week for anxiety or stress? Hatmaker you seem really bright and must be a super person. Glad you are on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hatmaker absolutely rules. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am currently taking: 8mg Suboxone
1200mg Neurontin
30mg Remeron

Been doing much better on these meds. Had been on 1.5mg Klonopin for almost 3 years for anxiety which was more or less being caused by benzos. Felt like hell for a month or more after quitting those but man was it worth it.

Post subject: My meds
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:06 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Besides Subs, I take:

Goeodon 160 mgs
Lamictal 300 mgs
Zoloft 100 mgs
Wellbutrin SR 400 mgs
Trazodone 150 mgs (in combination to Benadryl 100 mgs for sleep)
Very rarely Seroquel 1-200 mgs (for anxiety).

Also, I wanted to say that in psychiatry it is standard practice for the doctor to prescribe medicines off label. This means that, while the FDA has aproved a drug for one or two conditions, the drug also treats many other conditions well. For anxiety, the SSRI's are considered the first line drugs, and most are also FDA approved for this. Benzos can be an option, but for someone who has past addiction issues or is on potent cental nervous system supressants they are often excluded (not to mention a few nasty drug interactions with other psych meds). If these drugs fail, the next step is often to prescripe an atypical antipsychotic.

Many people associate "antipsychotics" as dangerous drugs that are only for crazy people. How far from the truth! In addition to treating psychosis, most of them (Seroquel, Geodon, Abilify, Zyprexa, Invega, and Risperdal) are known to be potent antidepressants and very good mood stabilizers. Some even have specific FDA approval for such purposes. Seroquel is FDA approved for schitzaphrenia (psychosis), maintenance for Bipolar Disorder (mood stabilizer), and for Major Depressive Disorder (!).

Low doses of Seroquel and other AAPs are excellent choices for anxiety. They can help with sleep, quell major anxiety, and treat the usual underlying depression that is at the root of the anxiety. The only "danger" of these drugs is from metabolic side-effects (weight gain). At the low doses used for sleep and/or anxiety, serious side-effects are virtually nonexistant. Unfortunately, many people go online and find sites and information that stress the possible negative side-effects of these drugs. With the new atypical antipsychotics the truth is that any significantly risk for potentially dangerous issues such as Extrapyramidal side-effects and Neuroleptic Malignent Syndrome is very, very small. As in 1 in tens of thousands of patients. Many millions of people around the world take them on a daily basis. Not to mention that Serotonin Syndrome (from serotogenic antidepressants), Extrapyramidal disorders (abnormal movement conditions), and even Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome can be treated at a hospital and reversed. Deaths are super rare.

As for Seroquel "screwing up" someone's brain, such a thing has never been associated with the drug. Often people with untreated mental conditions have frequent mood changes and behavior and like to blame it on their medication (usually after such a short course of the drug in that none of the benefits can be clinically recognized).

Ever yours,
J