It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:54 pm 

I feel like a lost old fart in this thread. So many bands I've never heard music from and other bands I just never heard of at all. I tend to get stuck in the past with music. There are exceptions of course. And I will listen to a few of the ones you all recommended.

Something weird has happened to me. The last few months I've been listening to the country rock station and really liking what I hear. My favs so far are Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith, and now the greatest new voice in Country music is Darius Rucker with Wagon Wheel. Loved him in Hooty and the Blowfish and now as a country singer. There are some others but I am in a learning mode. Country music now sounds like great rock and roll. Not much twangin' going on. Steel guitars and good music.

I think I mentioned this one before. Los Lonely Boys first album. Soooo sweet.

One of these days I should buy me an IPod or MP3. Still love my CD's.

rule

Okay, the old guy is going away. You may have your thread back.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule, if you like those country stars you listed above you should check out Miranda Lambert, The Zac Brown Band, and Sugarland. These are a few I like when I'm forced to listen to country by my husband and son. LOL...

I actually do like some country....but the ones I said above are my faves of this genre!

As for feeling like the old fart in the room....you notice I don't post here much either. I feel completely uncool most of the time when I read this thread. Every now and then I'll click one of the links and give it a listen, but most of it is not what I would listen to normally. Although, I have found a few gems here and there!

I tend to stick with classic rock or alternative. You can't go wrong there huh? As I'm typing this my sister in law, the singular most UNCOOL person I have ever met in my life, is at the Eagles Concert in Memphis. PI@@ED me off that she won tickets on the radio to go see them the weekend of MY anniversary!!!! I'm fighting the green headed monster and hoping I don't have to hear about how much fun they had on the phone tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule,

I got something for you! I'm not that big into country music, but I know my bluesy rock. Do you know of Tedeschi Trucks Band? They are a more recent band (although I've been going to their concerts separately since I was about 17 or so..) A true throwback to the good ol days. They'll sit in with classics like the allman brothers or clapton.

Here's one of my favorites. The solo is worth listening to, starts at about 4mins. I listen to all kinds of music but this where my heart is.

Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks met playing together and they have two kids. I hoping at least one of them turns out to be a musical genius that my child can listen to one day.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Eminem's new album is sick and delicious. Seriously, his best work yet, and that's saying a lot. For any of you that are interested, but have not downloaded it yet, do IT!!! You will not be disappointed.

On another note, Lorde's album lyrics are quite impressive for a 16 year old. I know her one song is pretty hot right now but her whole album is really good and the lyrics (written by her) rival most adult entertainer's right now. I haven't seen her level of maturity since Fiona Apple came on to the scene. Hopefully Lorde's career turns out better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lorde, isn't she the one who sings about driving cadillacs in her dreams? The girls doing Zumba play that song at the gym all the time, I actually like it now!! GAH!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I think that's the one that plays on the radio over and over. The rest of the album is pretty darn good.

Oh my god, I've cracked your code. So THAT'S why you go to the gym so much.. to watch the girls doing zumba. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SHIT!! My secret is out!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's some links

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:15 pm 

She does not look or sing like a 16 year old! I love her music regardless. I'm really liking Awolnation too.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been feeling more strongly about red hot chili peppers for a while now, and Anthony kiedis's autobio would be a great read for some ppl on here btw as a major element in it is his journey through addiction

Post subject: Other songs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Also just a list of other songs in my rotation, give at least any TWO that you haven't heard a shot:

No expectations - the Rolling Stones
What a pity - right away, great captain
Baker Street - (cover done by) foo fighters
High and dry - radiohead
Peace train - cat Stevens
Trouble is a friend - lenka
I love lamp - rdgldgrn
I want you bad - the offspring
Bad reputation - Joan Jett/the black hearts
Halo- foo fighters
Have it all - foo fighters
Solsbury hill - Peter Gabriel
Take my picture - filter
Never going back again - fleetwood Mac
It's all over now baby blue - bob Dylan
Tangled up in blue - bob Dylan
Manimal - the germs
Straight up and down - Brian Jonestown massacre
Down to you - Jackson united

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:15 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yea,I know this is pretty old, buy I wad just reading thru some of the old posts and came across this one about music. There's an amazing, IMO, song by Jamey Johnson called"high cost of living". It's a song about auction, that really spoke to me, while actively using and especially after starting treatment. If you've heard it, tell me what u think of it, if not google it and give it a listen. I'm curious to know if it a just me that thinks this tune is soooooo powerful and honest.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:16 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Dammed auto correct, grrr, addiction, not auction, Wtf? Lol :-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^^ My auto correct always changes "petco" to percocet. Um.. pretty scary. Luckily I'm usually only typing petco when I'm texting my husband that I'm picking up cat food.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

All apologies- I love Brian Jonestown Massacre, always have their albums in my rotation. I'm also a die hard dylan fan. I think my absolute favorite song of his is 'where are you tonight'. I can only find one version on youtube and it's live and doesn't sound right. Boo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been listening to Arctic monkeys again recently. Back in rotation. Here are a couple songs that I love:

I love the bowie influence.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

both of mumford & sons' albums were a HUGE help to me around this time last year while going through many days of detoxing.

my music selection has changed drastically over this past year...have always been a big fan of bands like "the disco biscuits, umphrey's mcgee, widespread panis, string cheese incident, ekoostik hookah bassnectar...etc" still like the music, but im really into christian rock now..bands such as "the newsboys, hillsong, matthew west, sidewalk prophets, toby mac, mandesa, mercy me, casting crowns"

my musical taste swings around and around like a merry-go-round...throughout all 4 seasons of the year, but whatever im into at the time, im VERY into

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

He-Reigns wrote:
my musical taste swings around and around like a merry-go-round...throughout all 4 seasons of the year, but whatever im into at the time, im VERY into

Me too. My music preference has MPD.

Going old school.. Here's a song that's always been a favorite. My husband plays it for me all the time when we're in his car. We almost chose it for our wedding song but went otis redding intead. Anyway, it's a favorite.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:30 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Tiny dancer - sorry didnt see your response as I haven't looked into this thread in a while. But that's so awesome, I RARELY come across other bjm fans, my brother introduced me to their music and we got to see them play a club show a while back. And yea I love bob dylan, the songs I mentioned are a couple of my favorites from him but unfortunately can't find many non-live versions for online listening either :( there's one for hurricane somewhere up on YouTube though

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:52 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVB_DI4ajKA&feature=kp [/youtube]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next