It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi
I am 30 years old. I began to get terrible joint and muscle pain combined with severe fatigue about 2 months ago. They tested me for things like mono, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. The only test that came back positive was one that said I am severely anemic. I am going to start one of five iron sucrose IVs today. My hematologist tells me that joint pain isn't usually associated with anemia, though. I am grasping at straws, but think I might have Valley Fever, as I used to live in Arizona.  I recently had a baby in November, and then had a terrible time afterwards with severe hemorraghing. My joint pain is worst in the morning and when I sleep, and generally gets better as the day goes on. The fatigue, however, hits me in the evening. I am so frustrated. I am having a hard time playing with my baby when my husband is at work due to the joint pain. I am pretty tough (I did natural childbirth), but this is just crippling me and putting me in a terrible mental state. I am often confused, irritable and can't focus. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:11 am 
Hi sjohn and welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I'm not a doctor but will give you some guesses about your symptoms. Your fatigue and concentration problems could certainly be related to your anemia. Since you had significant enough postpartum hemorrhage to require IV iron, you must be very depleted. You'll probably start to feel significantly better after you get your treatments.
As for the arthritis-like symptoms, since you've been tested for everything else, you might be looking at a side effect of Suboxone. There is a pretty long thread about this on the forum on the side effects category. Although most if not all doctors have dismissed these symptoms as being related to Sub, there are (in my opinion) too many people who have experienced them on Sub to completely disregard the possibility that they ARE Sub related. When I first read the thread about these issues I didn't think much about it. But not long after that I started having some of the same things they were complaining about - real stiff in the mornings, waking in the night with my hands stiff and sore, weird stuff....
Some of the other posters wrote about how the symptoms abated after they decreased their Sub dose. Sure enough...I decreased my dose and the symptoms have all but disappeared.
How much Sub are you on? How long have you been on it? Have you discussed your symptoms with your Sub doctor?
We may never know for sure if this is Suboxone related and there is nothing about Sub that makes sense that it would cause this, but it just seems to me to be a pretty big coincidence. Once you've ruled out other possible diagnoses with your doctor, why not look into the Suboxone theory, right? If you're in a good place with your recovery, stable on your Suboxone you might ask your doctor if it would be okay to drop your dose, especially if you're on the higher doses (over 8mg or so a day).
Let us know what you find out and congratulations on the new baby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:22 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi sjohn --

this is probably a dumb question, but did they do a 'anti-nuclear antibody' test? They commonly refer to them as an ANA.

If you have ANA positive (or ANA+) all that tells you is that your immune system is involved inappropriately - somewhere your own immune system is attacking your own body. Such people that have Lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis, Type I diabetes, etc. would all have ANA+.

That was the first test we had done after years of strange pain for my wife that gave us some answers. She is ANA+ thus she has some type of autoimmune disease. It's like Lupus, but not perfectly. It's often like fibromyalgia, but not exactly.

So, if as setmefree asks - if it's not from too high a dose of sub, maybe you can check that out. If you have already, then thanks for reading 8)

If your autoimmune system is involved ANA+, often there are thing that rheumatologists can do to help.

Look forward to your posting an update!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi. This is an old post but have you gotten any better or gotten any answers? I have the same thing!! Severe joint and muscle pain after having a baby. Also had hemorrhaging due to remaining placental tissue that had to be removed. They say uterus is all cleared up and haven't said my iron levels are low. Have since developed back, neck, hand foot pain. Started about 3 months after birth. Headaches early on. Some ear pain ringing. Hard to tell what's related. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:05 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Did they test for Lyme Disease? Idk where you're at but there's a higher incidence of it in my area due to a high deer population.

And it very well could be fibromyalgia, but since I personally think it is overdiagnosed I would make more observations before becoming certain that's causing it. Is there an issue of sensitivity and a kind of over stimulation of the mind-body connection? It may be hard to decipher between sensitivity and just typical pain of typical causes in the areas that you're hurting so just pay attention to things like is it more painful/unpleasant than it's ever been to:
Brush your teeth due to the burn of toothpaste, even sensodyne level stuff
Squeeze the ridges around the cap when opening a bottle of water
Sound and/or light sensitivity
Does pain worsen with stress?

And like someone said above it'd be a very good idea to get tested for lupus and auto immune stuff like that.

Also I don't mean to offend you, but we all have sex at SOME time in our lives, and it's always good to get tested for STD's as some can cause those symptoms and unless you've been married a long time is be surprised if they didn't think to test for those just in case.

Also I'm not even sure I can remember whether I've encountered any specific information that would make this an appropriate guess, but my mind also tells me it sounds these symptoms could conceivably be caused by being bitten by certain kinds of spiders/bugs? Have you been bitten by any sort of ominous not-entirely-everyday-common spider or other bug? Let me know if you get any super powers, k? :)