It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just curious what meds people take with Suboxone, especially psych meds. Also, any interactions? Any adjustments made because of Sub?

My current meds:

Subutex 0.5mg (adjunct to depression treatment)
Wellbutrin 150mg
Brintellix 5mg
Klonopin 0.5mg (going from daily to prn)
Birth control pills

When I was on Sub maintenance I was on ONE other med. Now I'm on all this. I hate it. I feel like an old person. I even have a "days of the week" pill holder. Ugh! But I guess it's better than active addiction *sigh*. I'm grateful I have access to legitimate medication today.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good morning Lilly. Currently the only medication I take is suboxone. Back when I first started sub I was taking xanax 1mg and zoloft 100mg. I don't remember any side of the xanax or Zoloft but that's just me. Did you say you were taking .5mg suboxone for suboxone for depression if so how is it working for ya?

Smitty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:12 pm 

Hi Lilly,

I take omeprazole, delayed release,
fluoxetine,
birth control pill (for control of migraines)
Those are every day meds. Then I take these as needed for migraines, neck and tmj pain:
sumatriptan, (for migraines)
Nucynta ER (slow release pain med)
alprazolam (to treat panic attacks)

It doesn't actually make me feel old to take these meds. I'm just happy that my addiction and my pain are treated. :)

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone 6mg
Lithium SR 900mg
Zyprexa 2.5mg
Brintellix 20mg

For opioid dependence and bipolar type 1 disorder.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:54 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Subutex - 6mg daily
Xanax - For anxiety - 0.5 as needed - I average 10-15 every 30 days
Adderall - For sleep disorder - 20mg in AM and 10mg in the afternoon

I should be on an antidepressant as well but the last 3 times I tried to start them, one dose would cause severe stomach pain and vomitting. I've taken them on and off since 2008 without any issue until this summer?!? The first one I had issues with this year was Brintellix, then Lexapro and finally Paxil.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:22 am 

NYJets0714,

Have you tried Effexor yet? I had trouble with the stronger ones like Lexapro & Paxil but have had good results with Effexor.

rule

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:06 am 

I only take suboxone and ibuprofen :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:55 pm 

jennjenn wrote:
I only take suboxone and ibuprofen :)

(Put on your sarcasm ears.)

Whoa, Jen! You need to get off of that ibuprofen if you really want to be considered clean. Tsk, tsk.

:lol: :roll: :P :P :shock: :D

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:02 pm 

I know it Amy!! I got kicked out of rehab for taking ibuprofen ;)

And I'm still unable to give it up :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In response to smitty32, I don't think Sub really does much for me in terms of antidepressant effects. It does, however, seem to act as a mood stabilizer. I don't go to emotional extremes when I'm on it, or at least it seems that way.

In re: Effexor: Effexor used to be considered the drug to try when all other drugs have failed. I've even heard someone say, "take it if the only other alternative is death", which I think is a little extreme. But it is out of the league of Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro and the like, which are just SSRIs. Effexor is an SSRI, SNRI and is now believed to have an indirect opioid system effect. Which probably contributes to its horrible withdrawal syndrome. (And maybe why it's so effective).

I had the same experience with Effexor as NYJets had with other ADs. I took it in the past successfully and now if I take one 37.5mg capsule I almost vomit. It's like we get sensitized to meds. Also, people stop taking a med that worked for them, and then they try it again a year or 2 later and it doesn't work.

Just like with Suboxone, people on ADs are often in a big hurry to get off them. Now I'm thinking I haven't done myself any favors by doing that...and if I find one that works I better stick with it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh, and all kidding aside, it's now believed that ibuprofen and other analgesics have antidepressant effects - something about the same area of the brain that responds to physical pain also responds to emotional pain.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Interesting thread. I just switched my AD.

Cymbalta
Xanax (severe anxiety & panic)
Blood pressure meds
Lyrica (fibro pain)

I had been on.zoloft for 4-5 years & it seemed to poop out. I have only been on cymbalta about 10 days so not sure about it yet.

My doctor did say Effexor is a good medication but has withdrawals from hell.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

4 to 6mgs Suboxone films
100mg Metepropol
300mgs Gabapentin
and Sausage and eggs!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Happy

You got all bases covered lol. Sausage & eggs is probably why you are so happy!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just for the record, I wanted to try Effexor. I have a friend who was agoraphobic most of her life until she started Effexor. She was really bad. If she could get out of the house she could only go to a certain grocer and could only be out for 1 hour max. Now she is out and about & drives or flys all over.

I was advised not to try it first so I may still end up on it. My brain is so very different now I have no idea how any mined will effect me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:30 pm 

It is interesting how many members put down Xanax in their med list. Most doctors who prescribe Suboxone or Buprenorphine won't give you any benzodiazepine as they have been schooled not to due to it being a depressant. Buprenorphine is one too so mixing the two may be dangerous if overdone. Emphasis on overdone. I too take it along with some cholesterol meds and one for reducing the swelling of the prostate. (many complaints about peeing is true for men) But I don't abuse it either. I know I shouldn't be on it but I have a decent amount of anxiety and it helps. No need to lecture me, I come from an AA background so it is very deeply ingrained in my mind how bad it can be to become addicted to it. My hat is off to all of you who were honest about it.

Now, talking once again about Effexor. This being my third time trying to get off of it, I was successful at last. I took Dr. Junig's advice and reduced my intake 20% every two weeks until I was down to 8 mg's. Stayed on that dose for 3 weeks and then just stopped. That was 3 days ago and no side effects this time. If you go too fast the "Effects" of Effexor will totally mess your brain up. So yes, it took 3-4 months to get off it.

I never did need the AD. The only reason I was on it was because at the time (3 years ago) I was tapering off Suboxone and didn't want the depression to get in the way of my stopping. Once you're on it, good luck getting off it! That taper was side tracked due to having surgery and needing pain meds. So I went back on to Sub and have been at 6 mg's ever since.

Good thread Lilly. Thanks for bringing it up.

rule

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was on another forum reading people's experiences with Brintellix. I was shocked by how many people's doctors told them to just stop Effexor cold turkey and start Brintellix. Like most ADs it takes weeks for B to build up to a therapeutic level. And many people have said that Effexor WDs begin in a day or 2.
So people were going through Effexor WD and thinking they were having an adverse reaction to Brintellix - and some of them even stopped taking it, so they never really got a fair trial of it. Other people were cut off off Cymbalta, Zoloft and other drugs which should be tapered.

Some of the genius doctors "tapered" their patient off Effexor in a week or less. Or tapered them to 75mg and stopped(!). I think at the very least a new AD should be slowly titrated up in dose at the same time the other med is being tapered down.
We always hear stories about misinformed Sub docs, but some of these gp's and even psychiatrists seemed either really misinformed or irresponsible.

Rule - good for you doing it right and avoiding the consequences. If I ever had to go off Effexor I would do exactly what you did - get down to under 10mg before stopping.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:34 am 

When I told my doctor that my dose was now only 8 mg's he said I might as well stop as that low dose is doing nothing. But I didn't want to chance it while on vacation so I waited until I got home then stopped. So I was on the 8 mg's for roughly 3-4 weeks before making the final jump.

Just like Suboxone, slow and steady wins the race.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Lilly.

My transition from Pristiq (basically Effexor) to Brintellix was quite rapid in hindsight. My doctor suggested I reduce the Pristiq over a week or two while titrating up my dose of Brintellix. But me being me, the persistent self-medicator, I just stopped my Pristiq abruptly, then waited a few days for the withdrawal effects (brain zaps, nausea etc) to kick in before I started the Brintellix. In the end I was waiting over a week for the Pristiq withdrawal. I firmly believe that I could have stopped the anti-depressants altogether without experiencing any of the discontinuation effects.

Anti-depressants are funny like that. You can stop taking them one time and you're sick-as-a-dog, then another time stop taking them and nothing happens?

How are you finding the Brintellix so far?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The Brintellix seemed to make a difference right away. If you're on Wellbutrin you're supposed to halve your dose. So I started on 5mg which is supposedly the equivalent of 10. Soon I'll be going to 10, which will equal the target dose of 20. The only thing was that I started to find it sedating (surprisingly), so I'm taking it at night now. It seems to be helping, and the side effects are minimal.