It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: What kind of questions??
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have an appointment with a doctor in about 4 hours and I'm wracking my brain trying to think of the questions I should ask him. Of course two of my biggest questions are what happens if I need surgery and if he does long term maintenance or not. I ask about the surgery thing because tomorrow I have an appointment with my plastic surgeon...long story but it'll boil down to taking out my implants completely or going smaller. The one just doesn't want to straighten itself out. And I really, really wanna do long term. Rest of my dang life, please. My back causes me too much pain on a daily basis to think I can get off pills with Suboxone. I'd be using within a month or two of stopping, just like every other time I've tried to quit.

What kind of questions did you ask, or do you suggest I ask?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry but I had to laugh when you said "one of them just wont straighten itself out"....

I think that you already are asking him/her the two biggest questions I can think of. The maintenance issus should be the bigest one since you are like me in neeing it for life. I too would realapse with out it. Ask how long "long term" is to them. Tell them that you are considering it for life. There is nothing wrong with that. Ask what he plans on your permanent maintenance dose being? Does it stay the same as the beginning, or will he expect you to taper later on? How often you will need to be seen.... How does he feel about any other meds that you are/may take? Over the counter meds not to take? If I can think of anything else....I'll post again....

Post subject: Long Term
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:21 pm 

I wouldn't come out and ask for long term maintenance on the first few appointments. Just get a feel for his method of prescribing and you'll be able to figure it out.

The reason I say that is because he may think that he will not be able to help with your addiction problem and put you off for someone else to treat. Just let him know you have chronic pain and are concerned about pain relief and surgery for now. Give it a few appt's and feel him out.

My first Sub Dr. in the beginning wanted me off in a year. But after a few months he came out and said it was no problem treating me for life. My second Dr. said ALL his addict patients are off in six months. That was over a year ago and he is continuing to write scripts w/o any questions. I too want permanent maintenance but won't come out and say it yet. I'm putting it off until I have to.

Keep in mind that this is only my opinion. You might not agree and I urge you to do what you think is best with all the information you can gather.

Good Luck with your doctor,

Rule

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I didn't know how else to put it lol I've had two surgeries to correct it and it just won't take. Thanks for your replies and Rule, I was thinking it might just be better to mention I have chronic pain and go from there. Hopefully it works out...I'm down to just a couple slivers and I don't know if he'll give me anything today or what. I definitely don't want to run out. If I run out I'll be running out for some painkillers to stop the WDs and the pain and I absolutely don't want to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ya know, after reading through this thread again, I have to agree with Rule. It is best to wait to tell him, but you are already at your appointment so.....Hopefully you went with his advice. When I think back, It wasn't until a few appts in to my treatment that the subject of maintenance came up. Rule makes a VERY good point with him not wanting to treat an addict that "can't be helped". Not that thats the case, but the doc may see it that way.....

I hope that everything went well today. Please let us know as I'm curious how it went.

Post subject: Yay!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Kelly, the appointment went great and he prescribed me 2mg films. I had been cutting up 8mg films into...I don't know, 10ths? I also explained that the reason I was addicted was because of chronic pain but didn't mention anything about long term use and he didn't say anything either except that he's had patients say it was the best painkiller ever. And I agreed :)

He's also willing to work with my surgeon and anesthesiologist if I need to have surgery again and he's willing to work with me using Ativan when I fly. We're going to London next month and with an 8.5 hour flight I'd be a puddle on the floor by the time I landed if I didn't have Ativan. And I'm super happy my insurance covers the medication too. It was a good day and I'm psyched to have my own prescription.

Thanks for your advice guys!