It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hi,

Trying to get info. on what to eat before, after work-outs. I am not looking to get ripped or anything, just lean muscle and toned up. Hopefully lose body-fat and gain some lean muscle. I am currently 185 pounds and 5ft. 11 inches. I know there are a lot of you that work-out, I really would appreciate some good advice. My current body fat analysis put me at 24%, I would like to get that to 15% or less. What do you think? Any info. would be great!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How many times a day do you eat? You should be aiming for 5 or 6 small meals a day. By small, I'm talking about something the size of your fist, or so. Some people who diet try starving themselves, but that pretty much crashes their metabolism. Eating several small (healthy) meals a day keeps your metabolism up and you'll actually lose weight more consistently.

Eating clean carbs will go a long way towards cutting your body fat %, if you're overall caloric intake is below your BMR. BMR is basically a calculation of how many calories you burn a day just being alive. I'm going to guess your BMR is around 1900 calories a day.

For me, clean carbs are Quaker Rolled Oats (whole grain), whole grain brown rice, whole grain pasta and most veggies. For protein food, I pretty much stick to chicken. I don't get enough protein through chicken alone, so I supplement with protein shakes. Whey protein digests quickly, good for after a work out. Pre-workout, I'm usually heavier on the carbs. Carbs digest fast and turn into the sugar you need to power your muscles through your workout.

Do you take a pre-workout drink? I take a product called C4. It gets you amped up and within 20 minutes or so of drinking it, you better hit the gym or you'll be ripping the walls off your house. :D

For your workout, you should be aiming for reps around 15 or higher. 3 sets minimum. If you're fairly adept with working out, you may want to push your reps closer to 20 or higher.

Eat right, eat several times a day, get good sleep, workout hard and you'll burn some of that fat % away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks Romeo!!

Yeah this work-out stuff is not totally new to me, but I am still a beginner when it comes to the chemistry of working out. Wow, I am glad you told me about the 15-20 rep routine, I was still doing the 10-12, 3 sets. So a little less weight and more reps, cool. 5-6 small meals, nutritious fist size meals. Yes i know about C4, I have never tried it but maybe I will, thanks again for giving me some info., I am really liking this almost daily work-out routine I have been doing, its feeling real good!!