It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: What is IOP?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is probably a stupid question and once someone decodes the acronym for me I will probably feel like an idiot but will someone please tell me what IOP is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I believe it's Intensive Out-Patient. Is your doc making you do that?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hell no! Some other poor person on here is getting sucked into it. Hell no! I won't go!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ROFLMFAO...I'm with you "Hell no, we won't go".

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:43 pm 
IOP = Intensive Outpatient Treatment. As opposed to Inpatient Treatment. It is often recommended after one completes drug abuse/addiction assessment tool(s) with a counselor or therapist and/or after one has gone through a several-day inpatient detox. If the patient is determined to be 'safe' to get treatment on an outpatient basis, they will often recommend IOP to avoid a lengthy, expensive trip to inpatient rehab.
My experience went like this - I was required to have a full eval done by a counselor who was approved by the Board of Nursing. The eval was expensive and took several hours of testing and talking with the counselor. He recommended to the BON that I go to IOP. Pretty much all of us nurses were recommended to go through IOP, only a few were required to go inpatient and even fewer, if any actually, did not have to go to either. They really don't give you a choice - if you want to keep your license, you will do as they 'recommend.' So I did IOP - my program was 4 days each week, 6 hours per day for 6 weeks and then you could 'graduate' if you did all the required work in the program. After you graduate, you got to attend Aftercare for 1 hour once every week for a minimum of a year after that, and sometimes you were required to attend an additional Relapse Prevention group as well. This on top of 3 NA meetings per week and a nurse support group once a week too. Fun stuff!! IOP wasn't a bad thing.....I learned some good stuff. But I didn't feel like it helped me all that much. It also hurt my bank account a lot! Everything was paid out of pocket, to top it all off!
Anyway, yeah, that's what IOP is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can understand doing it to keep your license....but outside of that...HELL NO!!!!! I would rather be inpatient. At least then you get someone cooking your meals for you and you get a break from all the crap on the outside and you aren't driving all over the place. I would NOT do it.

I was in rehab a couple times. I thought it was stupid. I smoked pot on the balcony in one of them every time my boyfriend came to visit. I just didn't care. My parents said they would take my car away if I didn't go. I went but they only kept me for 3 weeks when I think they realized I really had no interest.

Cherie