It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: What's going on?...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey, how's it going? I'm Jest, I'm 23, and I'm from Ohio. For sometime, I've been researching suboxone, and I've even used it quite a few times since then. And I love this drug. I'm ready to get completely "sober" you could say, so I'm turning to suboxone. I have an appointment set for July 8th, but I'm nervous as hell. I'm looking to use suboxone as a maintenance drug. Not just a quick.. taper, and jump off drug. So, I'm coming here for even more information. My DOC is oxycontin, but I'll use whatever opiates I can get my hands on. But, I've slowly reduced my intake.

Now, I'm just here to learn more, and learn about the process of the "induction" and things of that sort...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome, Jest, it's great to have you here! I'm happy to hear you're ready to enter "addiction remission". That's a huge step and you should be proud of yourself for taking it. Did your doctor tell you what to expect at your induction? You'll have to be in mild to moderate withdrawals when you take your first dose. Many of us reported finally feeling "normal" after taking our first sub dose.

Again, WELCOME...We're so glad you here... I hope you find as much support and information here as I have. Ask as many questions as you want and we'll try our best to answer them.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

See, that's the thing. When I go into withdrawals, they are very, very mild. Like, seriously, they're consistent with flu symptoms. Yeah, I'm uncomfortable and all, but they're nothing compared to others. That's what I'm worried about.

I want to use suboxone as I mentioned, as maintenance. I've used them before, obviously illegally, and it's really the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me. Methadone didn't work, and nothing else I've used has before. I know the "right" dosage for me, but I'm afraid the doctor won't even consider that. I want to use suboxone, to break out of this life. I'm beyond sick of it. I've been doing it for so long, that I don't really know much else. I'm sick of ruining friendships, relationships, trust with my parents, everything. And honestly, this is the only option I have left. I just hope this doctor takes me seriously. Heh.

But thank you for your welcomes, and sorry for the rant again. I'm aggravated as hell right now, lol.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jest,

Welcome to the forum. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is the right dose? Did you read up about your sub doc before scheduling or are your options limited? My first sub doc was a whacko. My current sub doc is awesome. There are some crazies out there and I interviewed the 2nd time around to get a good fit. This is very important. I asked before scheduling if the doc believed in long term maintenance. The 1st appt. is so expensive I didn't want to get a bad fit and then have to start yet again. I even found a doc who doesn't make me go to NA meetings. That is nice.

Anyhow, I wish you the best and hope you stick around. A lot of people bail out once they get the script and don't come back. Then we never know what happened to them. It is nice to get updates every so often. Getting them legally and taking them as prescribed and consistently makes a big difference from what I have seen. You will probably do quite well if you stick with it.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The last time I maintained on Subs, 12mgs was the "right dosage" that kept me comfortable throughout the day, and during the night. I would take 6mgs in the morning and 6mgs in the evening. Spaced about 8hrs apart. And it worked amazingly well.

But, right now, my options are limited. I'm going to this guy, to get the ball rolling. But when it becomes available, I'm switching to a doctor I was referred to by many friends, and people I associate with. Plus, the second doctor is much cheaper than the first one I'll be going to.

I will be sticking around here, because it's a great forum, and from the looks of it so far, a great support system. I've been reading a lot of the topics on here, and it's been very informative. But, regardless, I'm still scared shitless.

Edit:

Is there a good way to research doctors? I tried to google the one I'll be seeing, but it wasn't very informative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:28 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome and best of luck. If you don't mind me asking what part of OH are you from? I live just outside of Cleveland and there are some great sub docs here. There are also some pretty bad ones. I saw a doc years ago and the first thing he said is "we got to get you off this stuff". I've been fortunate to find a terrific doc who is on board with maintenance. Feel free to contact me if your near Cleveland, I can give you names of some of the good ones. I was a little concerned reading your post and your expectations of suboxone. It is a life saver for alot of us and is a huge part of my sobriety. However is is just one piece to a complex puzzle. I have seen plenty fail when they think sub is a miracle drug that solves and cures your addiction. You need a plan to go along with your suboxone. Change is the key word, I use 12 step programs but lots on here do not but most (from what I've read) have a consistant plan to stay clean. My advise would be to read as many of these posts as you can and talk to some friends to find a system that works for you. Early on I would start with people, places, and things. Meet some sober people, find new places to hang and socialize, and find some new interests or hobbies. You've already got over the biggest hurrdle, your fed up with using. Best of luck, in a short time your life will be better than you could ever imagined. Again, please please don't let suboxone be your only means of staying clean. By the way I don't think 12 mg will be hard to get as starting dose. It's been a long time (6 1/2 years) since I started but back then it was almost standard to start around 20-24mg. Things might be different now but 12 should not be issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:31 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome and best of luck. If you don't mind me asking what part of OH are you from? I live just outside of Cleveland and there are some great sub docs here. There are also some pretty bad ones. I saw a doc years ago and the first thing he said is "we got to get you off this stuff". I've been fortunate to find a terrific doc who is on board with maintenance. Feel free to contact me if your near Cleveland, I can give you names of some of the good ones. I was a little concerned reading your post and your expectations of suboxone. It is a life saver for alot of us and is a huge part of my sobriety. However is is just one piece to a complex puzzle. I have seen plenty fail when they think sub is a miracle drug that solves and cures your addiction. You need a plan to go along with your suboxone. Change is the key word, I use 12 step programs but lots on here do not but most (from what I've read) have a consistant plan to stay clean. My advise would be to read as many of these posts as you can and talk to some friends to find a system that works for you. Early on I would start with people, places, and things. Meet some sober people, find new places to hang and socialize, and find some new interests or hobbies. You've already got over the biggest hurrdle, your fed up with using. Best of luck, in a short time your life will be better than you could ever imagined. Again, please please don't let suboxone be your only means of staying clean. By the way I don't think 12 mg will be hard to get as starting dose. It's been a long time (6 1/2 years) since I started but back then it was almost standard to start around 20-24mg. Things might be different now but 12 should not be issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:09 am 
Aaaargh! I just wrote about a hundred word reply and it just disappeared. Why does that happen?

Anyway Jest, to put in a nutshell what I was trying to say: When I got on Sub I had gone through a long period of trying to get clean on my own. The result was was that I was on a much lower dose than I had been before, and I was afraid I wouldn't score high enough on the COWs scale to get inducted. Luckily, my Sub doc took my whole drug history into consideration and opted to put me on Sub. Even though I was on a lower dose of opiates I leveled out at 12mg/day of Sub because of my cravings.

So, bottom line, the level of withdrawals and the opiate dose shouldn't be the deciding factor. IMO if you're addicted to opiates to the point where you can't stay clean on your own you are still a good candidate - and I hope you have a doc that feels the same. I hope this helps you to be less nervous. I know some of the posters here went on, or went back on Sub without even being on opiates because of thier risk of relapse or PAWS. So don't worry if your withdrawals aren't "bad" enough.
Good luck and please come back.
Lilly

Post subject: Wow
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum, Jest.

Now, I'm just curious here, so don't take this the wrong way, but, have you tried to detox in the traditional way (like, inpatient detox then work a 12 - step program) or are you just jumping straight to suboxone?

The reason I ask is this: You're pretty young, in my opinion, to be running straight to "maintenance" and I'm not even sure if you totally understand what you might be getting yourself into going down that road.

Again, I sure don't want you to misunderstand me here - my intent is to HELP you. Have you given any thought to or have you made an effort to get clean without suboxone? Or have you given any thought to using suboxone to wean yourself off the drugs you are doing now, then give sobriety a go with no chemical assistance?

You're only 23 years old. Even if you started heavily abusing opiates when you were 16, you may still have a chance at long-term sobriety without having to rely on medication to get you there.....I'm pushing 50 years old here and sick as a dog with HepC, so it's much too late for me, but I just hate to see someone the same age as my son apparently committing to long term Opiate Replacement Therapy.

I dunno, maybe I'm just an old geezer.....

In any case, I truly hope you are successful regardless of what you do to get clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

@ Smoothy, I'm like 45-60 minutes away from Cleveland, I'll be going to a sub doctor in Medina.

@ Junkie:

Yeah, I've tried to get, and remain sober without the use or help of medical assistance. And it's never worked. I always end up back to using, whether it's a week later, or two months later, I'm always back to using. I've done a 30 day inpatient, and while I was clean and sober in there, I only lasted two weeks afterwords. I went straight back to using. And, I started heavily abusing opiates since I was 14/15. So, I'm almost on a decade of this shit, and I'm sick of it. I've used suboxone before to get myself off of my DOC, but as soon as I knew I could get high again, I would. But when I maintain on it, and change everything, I'm good. It curbs the cravings, it curbs my appetite, you could say. And that's how it helps me so much. I know what I'm "in for" so to speak, and I'm fine with that. Because I obviously can't do this alone, by myself. I need something to help me get through this. And suboxone is what I chose to help me.

I know it's more than "just taking a pill." And I'm good with that, but if that pill helps me get through this, then I'm fine with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jest,

All of the comments and replies are valid in my opinion. I have heard though, that for people in their 20's especially, that it is best if they consider sub at least until they are in their 30's. Probably because the 30's is when we start to become old geezers.....I am certainly starting to think so at the ripe age of 33.

12mg sounds totally reasonable to me. When I started on this site I had decided to get off my sub and jumped at 12mg. I had a rough time, although much easier than full agonists. I have pain issues also and found that staying on sub was probably the right choice for me. I was totally afraid a doc wouldn't give me the right dose or wouldn't understand. I ended up on about 10 mg per day. I could have gotten it higher, but that is just the right amount for me. Point being, you can get a decent dosage even when you aren't on ANY narcotics at all. I was stone cold sober when I went back in to get sub. I will say it was harder to induct because it made me feel goofy and I didn't like it very much. But it leveled out within a week or so.

Researching docs......try www.suboxone-directory.com. That was a very helpful site in my opinion.

I am glad you are interested in sticking around. This really is an amazing support system.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all, for all of your opinions, and support. I just think this is the best route for me.

..I hope so, anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:16 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My doc is on Rockside (77 & 480) not that much farther than Medina, maybe 20 min. If things don't work out with medina doc let me know, I will give you my guys info. He does not advertise as a sub doc, in fact I think he only has 10 or so patients. He also works at Windsor rehab so he knows addiction. Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:01 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Jest, I am excited for you. Congratulations on making the decision to take back control of your life. I am in my 40's, how different (and so much easier) my life would have been if I had gotten the help I needed in my twenties. Keep us updated and welcome to the forum. It is great to have you here and I look forward to hearing about all the good changes that are getting ready to happen in your life.

*Christopher Robin to Pooh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, Jest, sounds to me like you've probably exhausted all of your options. Good luck to you. We'll be here to support you and answer any questions you might have. Please stick around, this place is littered with posts from tons of people who come here, post a few times, get on suboxone, then disappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm here for the long haul, don't worry. And as far as suboxone goes, I think it's the only viable option.

----------------
Now playing: Granite State - Just Think (Feat. Reks)
via FoxyTunes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:36 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Junkie... How honest have you been with your 23 year old son about your past. My boy is only 9 but I'm starting to contemplate how much he needs to know. Will it help him or hurt him knowing my past? He will sometimes ask about some scars on my inner arm and I will quickly make up some story. I am at a total loss. On one hand I think if I'm completely honest with him he will avoid drugs fearing turning out like his old man, on the other hand will he think "my dad abused all these drugs and turned out ok". I know I have a few years yet but was wondering how you approached it.

Sorry to change the topic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Smoothy1125 wrote:
Junkie... How honest have you been with your 23 year old son about your past. My boy is only 9 but I'm starting to contemplate how much he needs to know. Will it help him or hurt him knowing my past? He will sometimes ask about some scars on my inner arm and I will quickly make up some story. I am at a total loss. On one hand I think if I'm completely honest with him he will avoid drugs fearing turning out like his old man, on the other hand will he think "my dad abused all these drugs and turned out ok". I know I have a few years yet but was wondering how you approached it.

Sorry to change the topic

No problem. One thing you have to know about my situation is this: I only recently established contact with him, or more precisely, he established contact with me. His mother and I split up long before he was ever born and he grew up with her second husband as a "father" but then he found out I existed and sought me out.

Now then, he's the only child I have (that I am aware of at least) and I made a decision very early on that I was going to be totally and completely honest with him and that seems to have paid off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My induction is in 2 days. I haven't done any opiates since June 30th. FUCK. I'm going out of my mind with cravings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So, today is your induction day, I hope you come back and let us know how it went 8)