It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: What is going on??
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So I just took an at home drug test for my SO. Every single day, all day, he accuses me of still taking drugs. I am so tired of being accused, I told him I would take a drug test at home-to hopefully make all of the accusations stop. I was hesitant to even take it in the first place because I think he is trying to collect data to try to take my child away. But I have no reason that I shouldn't take one, because I know I would pass it with flying colors, so I agreed. Well, it came back positive for oxycodone!! What???!!? Of course, it is being sent to the lab to be confirmed. He thinks I'm lying, I'm pissed. I am trying to tell myself that the lab results will clear me but I still am very, very angry for taking it in the first place. This is going to be a long 7-10 business days in my household. Has anyone had this happen to them? I read one post on here from a while ago but is this common??

Post subject: Re: What is going on??
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm 

I would be so pissed off! That's something that'd happen to me, I swear. But don't worry, as far as I know, as long as u send it to the lab, it'll turn out right. I have no idea why it did that and I have no experience with those drug tests, but someone will be along that can give ya better info. But from ppl who's posted on this forum that the same things have happened to, once they sent it to the lab it came bk right. So try not to worry, I know that's hard, especially with an a-hole trying to mess with ur children, but I think it'll be ok. Why it happened though I have no idea....but someone hopefully will.

I had an exhusband that was like that, trying anything and everything to take my daughter from me. Would u be willing to take another one? To prove it was mistaken, or would u be afraid that the same thing would show up again?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:27 pm 

Hi, I don't think that the tests that you buy over the counter sort out everything...if that makes sense. I believe that because suboxone is a partial agonist it can read as if you are positive for opiates. A more extensive test shows that it is suboxone. I am not one hundred percent sure that I have it right or I should say that I am explaining it correctly. Hopefully, one of our more experienced members will post soon to clarify and/or correct me if I am wrong. In the meantime, Jenn is right! The lab will show more clearly what you are and are not taking. Good luck! Please keep us informed as to how it works out!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for responding. I just don't know what happened but at least I am calm now. This reason was the only reason why I was hesitant. Figures. Yes, I suggested that I take another tomorrow, then said no, I'll take it right now! But then I said that he would probably think I was going to do something to cheat it while he was out getting another one. I should have offered to go with him to get another one right then and there but I didn't think of that at the time, I was too livid to think clearly. This test tested everything individually- except it didn't test for bupe. But why would it test positive for oxycodone for Suboxone and not test positive for opioids for Suboxone? The opioid was negative. Even though I am calm now, typing about it is making me mad again. Plus he just yelled at me about this forum. He thinks that it is full of people in "recovery" that are actual drug dealers nearby that I will by pills from. He is getting paranoid- I guess I can understand because I did lie for a decade to him and he is pissed. I haven't even taken pain pills in a year-I was buying Suboxone when he caught me a few months ago. I digress, yeah it would be great to find an answer to why the test came out the way it did. I go to see my doctor Thursday so I will talk to her all about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Htown,

Pits on all this. I'm guessing you took a 12 panel cup test? I was about to ask if the home urine test included bup bc would have shown it was in your system but you answered that no was not included. I'm sure you researched a false positive oxy test. I did and nothing really came up except Millenium labs, a big urine drug tester showed up w a press release saying they performed a study on 4300 urine samples which showed lots of false positives including for oxycodone in The Journal of Opioid Management but I could not find the actual study! Only the press release which was picked up by other sites. Not even sure there is a legit study or its a legit journal.

Wish Raudy sees this thread as she works for a urine testing mfg I think.

Not sure what brand you used. I looked up tests at homehealthtesting.com. I looked at what drugs the oxy home test will show a 'hit' for bc I was hoping it picked up something other than oxy and it does but the levels are high imo in order for the other drugs to be picked up. From their site: *The Oxycodone urine drug test uses Oxycodone as the calibrator for the stated 100 ng/mL testing level. The following table lists the concentrations of compounds (ng/mL) that are detected as positive in this urine drug test.
Oxycodone 100 ng/mL
Hydrocodone 6,250 ng/mL
Hydromorphone 50,000 ng/mL
Levorphanol 50,000 ng/mL
Naloxone 37,500 ng/mL
Nalrexone 37,500 ng/mL
Oxymorphone 200 ng/mL
It also says the opiate urine drug test only registers when they are at extremely high levels and deliberately exclude bup. Its an good site to pick thru.

How does it work to send a home urine drug test into a lab for further testing? What lab did you send it into?

If it were me, I'd privately do another home test, perhaps do 2, ea from a different brand. Sorry this happened to you!! Peli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:13 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes, you are correct Pelican-I did look it up. I found an old post from this forum and that is all I had a chance to look at. All evidence of the test are gone. The sample inside the mailing box, the booklet it came with and the original package. I read the booklet back to front and it did say that the at home part was only the first step and results need to be confirmed by the lab. I will go to walgreens and see if I can find it there. I remember that Raudy works with drug tests so I was hoping to get a response. I will look up the article and the journal you mentioned, it is worth some time to research for me for sure. I find it interesting that Naloxone is on there. I took my medication ten minutes before I took that test but with so little being absorbed, I just don't see that is the reason for a positive result. I will also take your advice and get 2 more from 2 different brands. I have faith that the lab results will clear it all up. Kind of :| . Thank you for looking into it for me, I really appreciate it. I know you didn't have to, but you did, and that means a lot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh I forgot to tell you how it works to send it off. In the box it comes in there is- a sealed urine cup(the temp and things that are tested are on there so you don't touch the testing strips-its layered in between the urine and plastic so the urine slowly reaches each test-also has a ready indicator and an expired indicator) in a foil package, a few booklets, label that has the same ID number on the urine cup, a clear bag with a gauze in it that you can tear off a seal and fold it over to stick closed and a box with lab address, blank spot to put date sample was taken and blank spot for return address. You put your sample in the cup and wait ten minutes, a lot like a pregnancy test except there are a lot more windows. Then you place it in the clear bag/pouch and seal it. Then you place that in a box that has the lab address along with your return address and date sample was collected. You tape the box and mail it off

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks htown for the info. Also, when i looked at the 12 panel online, it seems like there would so many lines or windows or boxes to look at and was hoping it was confusing and read wrong. Pick thru the homehealthtesting site. good info there including hair testing which catches 30 - 90 days depending on hair length submitted. Thinking your SO is accusing you of ONGOING drug abuse and the hair test would show you are not. I'd do it privately and get results via email so you know what to expect and then later w him watching you take a hair sample and send it in together. Hair test is a way to show your SO you are ONGOING clean but more importantly, to protect you as a good parent to your child and from him attempting to collect bad data to take your child away. He is pissed at you for deceiving him for years and the trust between you two is broken. He's trying to get hard proof. imo, so should you...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Everything was clearly labeled. It was actually a pretty neat little set up. I go to my doctor Thursday so she will let me know the results-maybe I will pay extra and have it sent to the lab on her end too. I wouldn't mind doing a hair sample. I'm going to buy some tests today-I get done working early so I will be home alone for a bit. The hair sample would be best- it would show that I didn't wait X amount of days for everything to be out my system. I will look at the site you recommended today since I will have some time on my hands-and my little one won't be around to take over my electronics

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey HTOWN,

Checking in. Did you get the test results back? Best, P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you for asking! Results came back all negative! I spoke to my doctor about it, she is going to see if she can get a hair test for me-she even offered to give me some test strips(she was out) to take home. The only issue that would come up with the hair testing(so glad I remembered this) is that I had dental work done in October-and took two tylenol 3 and two tramadol-plus the meds for anesthesia( I don't recall what he used) so it might be possible that those medications might show up-so I will possibly do one at her office next time to see what the results will be. My doctor even offered to copy all of my urine tests-all of are negative of anything that I am not supposed to be taking. I was worried for nothing, I usually am pretty good at not worrying about things I can't control but when I didn't see those two pink lines under oxy....I got worried even though I knew better. My SO could claim that I happened to be clean when he gave me that test, but he hasn't said anything like that. He actually told me congratulations. Thank you for your help Pelican-you talked some sense into me (along with Michelle and jennjenn). I think he is just gathering info just in case I were to return to active drug use-and I don't blame him. If I were him, I'd probably do the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hair testing is very expensive, prob won't be covered by insurance, and doesn't have as strong an evidentiary basis as blood or urine testing (I asked my previous pain doc why he didn't hair test to cover a larger period of time - that was his response)

All sorts of things can cause false positives on immunoassays - you can look at lists of substances known to cause false positives for oxycodone and see if you were taking one, but you might never know 'why'. They're meant to be high sensitivity, not high specificity - basically, to screen out which samples should be sent for much more expensive testing (like GC/MS). Just like people take an ELISA to determine if they MIGHT have HIV, but the result has to be confirmed with Western Blot. The first test is high sensitivity to rope in all the true positives, the second test is high specificity to exclude all the true negatives that got swept in by the first test.
Your SO should read up on how the tests work and stop making accusations based on preliminary evidence!

But honestly, I think the real issue isn't how much drug testing you're getting. If your doctor is satisfied, that should be enough for your SO. I think the real issue is the degree of trust in your relationship. Granted, addicts can burn those trust bridges down pretty quickly, but how long is he going to hold your diseased behavior against you now that you're in remission??

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can understand mistrust. I can even understand caution on his part. But please, don't make excuses for his behavior, and in essence, grant him the ability to demean your recovery.

I'm every example of how a failed marriage should be. Mistrust. Lies and more lies...
Eventually separated. Divorce papers filed, but I just didn't sign the last one (or we would have been legally divorced).
I was on the verge of getting help when the divorce paperwork was being done.

Luckily, we have a unique relationship. I have a wife that values the vows (even more than I did at the time).
She apparently saw something worth holding on to...and we stayed the course.

This year will be our 19 year anniversary (June 6). It's been long, hard and tedious..but worth it. So worth it.
She went from wanting me off suboxone in 2009/2010..to now understanding how critical this medicine is.
Her view is the same as mine...if all it takes is $150 every 3 months to a doctor office, and $25/month to a pharmacy to insure I can stay where I am without slipping...then it's very much worth the money to do it.

And now she's on a medicine that makes her feel OK when she takes it, but if she misses it...she can get pretty hostile very fast. She understands the anxiety I sometimes get about my meds...because she faces that now with a medicine that she takes.
If she were to miss just 1 dose...it would be very obvious.

Your SO should be more understanding. If he isn't, then that's on him...not you. He should take the time to learn something about recovery and MAT....and should stop inventing false hope for mistrust.
I spent about 10 years doing pills...but when I turned the page, I managed to build back several bridges and made new ones that I never dreamed would exist.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:29 pm 

Congrats on 19 yrs Jonathan, that's awesome!

HTown sooo happy that ur tests came out correctly to show just how great u have done. And what an awesome doctor to want to help u prove that also. If anyone accused me of still taking pills, I guess I'd go to the end of the earth trying to prove I wasn't. It's something we take such pride in, knowing how hard we've worked and for someone to not believe that would suck.

I think ur SO should consider himself lucky that ur willing to prove it and not stick ur foot up his bum :)
But ya know what, yesterday Godfrey got me to thinking in another post, I've kinda forgotten how the other side feels. I used to be that person who had an addicted partner and wasn't in active addiction yet myself. I remember always being so paranoid that he was using..... so I guess we have to understand all sides. Thank u for that Godfrey btw, I do tend to go really strong for the addict and forget the other side.

Great job HTown!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:16 pm 

Congratulations HTown! We knew they would all come back negative, but I'm sure it feels good to have the official results.

I tend to agree with Jonathan and other previous posters. I understand what Jenn is saying too, though. Your spouse has the right to be unsure and somewhat suspicious. That's not unrealistic. However, he should be able to trust your doctor and the tests she does periodically to make sure you are following your treatment plan.

You say that he brings this up everyday and accuses you of lying and taking pills. He is suspicious of our forum and accuses you of connecting with dealers on it. He has obviously given you a reason to believe that he may try to watch for anything you do wrong and use it against you to gain custody of your daughter.

Those are warning signs to me. He certainly doesn't trust you. I am afraid that he may already be thinking of possible divorce and is trying to get his ducks in a row. Does he cut you off from his mail/email/facebook etc.? Do you have access to all the finances so that you can see any extra savings accounts or debits/payments to a law firm? I'm not saying that he is definitely gunning for a divorce. I certainly don't know that to be true. I do, however, think his behavior is overly suspicious. If you feel you have a strong relationship you may want to seek counseling, because being in a marriage with someone who doesn't trust you is pretty unbearable.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:50 pm 

Oh goodness HTown, I must have overlooked all that stuff Amy mentioned! He sounds a lot like my exhusband (not the one that was an addict lol yep there's been more than one). My ex threatened taking my daughter away and as soon as I messed up he did it. It took yrs to get things even somewhat lined out. It was almost like being bullied in a way. There's paranoid then there's just plain mean. Ur a wonderful person, u deserve the very best!

I don't usually veer from the path of seeing the other side of addiction lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:00 am 

That's exactly what I thought Jenn, is that he reminded me of your ex! I reread through all of her posts and found sentences here and there that just made me cringe. I didn't see them all at first either. It's just if he's being so mean to Htown in the way he talks to her, I don't trust him not to be preparing to get divorced and go after custody. Htown, I just want you to be careful.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:43 am 

Oh it sounds a lot like my ex for sure. HTown, he actually wanted me to provide hair samples every time it was my turn to have our daughter. I said absolutely, but u can pay for that :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jennjenn thx! Perfect segway or is it segue to hair testing.

Htown,
For your followup w your Dr., if not covered by insurance, folks can buy a home hair kit, costs $80 to screen with 2nd level testing if positive.
Imo, $80 seems a small price to pay, to show skeptical family there is no ongoing use.
Given the initial false positive oxycodone urine test, for completeness sake, the hair test should include oxy again. Ones w oxy appear hard to find in drug stores so looked online: Walgreen's, Amazon, Walmart, Homehealthtesting.
The one w oxy tests 3 prescription + 7 illegal drugs. No hair kits test for bup.
The trick is to chose a kit, that if initially positive, they will perform a 2nd level confirmatory test. Not all online hair kits offer 2nd level testing.
1 1/2" is max hair length tested from any site.
Bc head hair grows the fastest, the test will measure out a max of 90 days when hair is 1 1/2" long from the scalp. (1/2" tests 30 days, 1" tests 60 days. 1 1/2" tests 90 days.)
Be aware, body hair grows much slower. 1 1/2" can can test out for 4 - 6 months!
$82 home hair drug test example: http://www.homehealthtesting.com/hair-d ... y-side.php

Your SO is telling you he's suspicious and non trusting. Guys often don't say much. So when a guy says something, believe it.

Wishing you my best, Pelican

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:12 am 

Pelican I had no idea they had home hair testing kits. Wow they really have everything now don't they??