It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi people. I'm pretty new here, though I have another post in this section about how I have a percocet addiction and my doctor put me on Subutex last Friday. I couldn't tolerate the 2mg starting dose, so the next day I only took 0.5mg and it still doped me up too hard.
I'm a stay at home mom with 3 kids, one is a toddler that needs watched constantly, and I CANNOT be doped up and tired all day. Plus I had some major sleeping problems, even though I was tired all day (go figure). So I quit the Subs after only 2 days and went back to "weaning off" percs. Now I want to give the Subs one more try because I hate my addiction and can't wean myself, it's too hard. My doc says to start even smaller - a crumb, so like 0.25mg, and go up from there if I need to (and I won't - I'm really small, under 100 lbs, and my tolerance wasn't that high).
Anyway, I need to decide tomorrow if I'm going to stop the percs again so I can start Subs on Saturday morn while my husband is home to help with the kids, in case I get "loopy" again. I just want to know if Subs are supposed to make you feel "drugged/dopey/loopy/tired" at first, if it's a lost cause for me to even try them again because I can't be like that around my kids all day. Can I get some questions answered by a few of you, please?

QUESTIONS:
1) What did YOU feel like when you FIRST started Subs? (I HATE feeling totally drugged up.)
2) How long did it take YOU to adjust and feel more "normal" on them? (I only have the weekend to get out of the "loopy" stage before I'm on my own with a toddler at home again.)
3) Do Subs generally make YOU tired or energetic? (I can't be tired all the time, the energy-factor is what always drove me to percs, they motivated me. A sleep-inducing drug is the last thing I want during the day.)
4) Do Subs make you IMPAIRED? (Can I safely drive? Take care of my kids? Go to school functions, etc, without feeling/looking like I'm doped up?)
5) Can you sleep on Subs? (The first night when I took 2mg at 6pm I could not sleep for s**t. Bad anxiety, heart racing, it was HORRIBLE. I need a good night's rest to be up early with my kids the next day.)
6) Can you take Xanax or Ambien on Subs? (My dr approved small doses of Xanax, but scared me to death about taking it. Never answered me about Ambien.)
7) Do Subs STIMULATE or HINDER your appetite? (I've lost about 25 lbs since my perc addiction began. I really need to put on weight, not lose more, I have nothing left to lose or I'll waste away!)
8) What do Subs do for YOUR MOOD, especially if you're only on it for say a month or less? Depress you? Make you anxious? Normalize you? I've seen lots of Sub posts about getting depression and social anxiety...that's frightening, I'm already depressed enough!)
9) Is it still really hard to get off Subs if you keep it down to a low dose for a month or less? Worse than weaning off percs, for instance?
10) Is it WORTH IT? Or do you wish you had gone back and weaned off your DOC or gone cold turkey because you either a) had too many bad side effects with the Subs or b) it's even harder to get off the subs than your DOC.

There's my 10 questions. I know it's a lot, but for anyone who's got the time and would like to help out this freaked out, confused, desperate mother, I'm putting it out there with some hopes I'll get some feedback to help me make the FINAL (I hope) transition from my addiction to percs to a new (hopefully better) life on subs for a short time and then down to NOTHING (that is my pipe dream anyway).
Thanks for any advice, feedback, answers, and/or support!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello spditup and welcome to the forum. I can sum up all your questions and answer them in basically one sentence....subs make you feel NORMAL, or as normal as you possibly can be. You shouldn't feel high, loopy, lethargic, impaired, or anything else, just basically good, and normal on the subs. I work full time, do anything, and go anywhere I need to go while on the subs. They don't stop me from doing anything I want to do.

I've been on Suboxone for almost 3 years which in my opinion is too long. Others may disagree with that. And I was put on a dose of 24mgs by my doctor which again in my opinion was way too high. I have since reduced my dose down to 2mg without the doctor knowing because I wanted off this drug so bad. I came to the forum here and now have reduced down to 1.75mg and still feel good, and normal. Sleep can be a little disrupted at times, but not too bad for me anyway.

I'm not one that should be giving advice as I just don't know enough about this drug, but I can tell you what I do know from experience, and I can tell you how I am feeling on it. I have basically felt the same on the higher doses as I have on the lower doses too. Sub is a very strong and powerful drug, and a tiny bit goes a long way.

I have no reasons why you have felt the way you have taking 2mg of it as a starting dose. Perhaps if you took the advice of your doctor and started with doses of .25mg and went up if needed that would make the difference? That sounds very reasonable to me. Sounds like the doctor is trying to help.

I do know that I am very happy to be on the sub as it has allowed me to live my life as best I can while still taking an opiate medication. In the grand scheme of things, and in my own opinion, it's better for me to be on the subs verses my drug of choice which was basically any narcotic pill. The sub has curbed my desire for any other drug, and stopped my withdrawals which is what it's intended to do. It has worked as advertised. I'm happy I began the sub, but I do want off it now so I can live my life completely drug-free.

I'm sorry I don't have more answers for you, and hopefully others will be here soon with additional help. I wish you the very best. I wanted to welcome you and let you know that the subs do work for ME, and lots of others here as well. Maybe taking those very small doses is the answer for you, and I hope it is. I do believe that once you get the dose arranged to your own personal satisfaction, you will be happy taking the subs.

Take care and hang in there. I'm sure others will have the answers your looking for.

Karen
xoxo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:42 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The first week of Suboxone for me was amazing. It was like seeing the world new again with hope. I was completely full of energy, all my pain was gone and I was living high on the hog. I felt normal, completely normal. I was ok to drive even though I don't drive because I just hate to drive. He hates to ride and I hate to drive so it works out wonderfully for us. When I take my dose, I get a bit sleepy and sometimes I will have a catnap and wake up refreshed. Sometimes, normally during my time of the month when I take my dose I dont go to sleep, and if they do make me sleepy when I wake up I can get kinda groggy feeling. It just depends on how my body is feeling during the month. My doctor doesn't prescribe Benzo's with Suboxone because even though you can take small doses of them, he just feels like alot of that stuff will lead to another addiction. I don't ask for Xanax or anything like that to add to it, because I have dealt with my anxiety issues other ways. Music works wonders for me with anxiety. When it comes to appetite, I will tell you one thing steer clear of Krispy Kreme donuts. I can eat a whole box of 12, belch and want more. It is sad yes I know, but ever since I have been on Suboxone I think my stomach has became a bottomless pit. Suboxone really I dont think has changed my mood although my husband thinks that I am back to normal. He says that it has given him his wife back. When I was hooked on pills, I was hateful and mean all the time because I was so stressed out about the bottle becoming empty. It has however caused me to smoke more. I roll my own so I haven't started spending any more in that area.
When I first started, I was on a high dose. I had some financial trouble back last November and had to stop it for about 2 weeks. Those were the worst 2 weeks of my life because of such a high dose. When I went back on Suboxone after I seen that there was no way in the world that I was ready to go off completely, I went back on a lower dose. I think that in a few months I will have no trouble coming off, but I am doing this slowly. Perc's for me if I tried to come off was never successful. I was sick and nasty feeling, wanted to kill myself and the whole shabang. With this stuff, when I started coming down it was the same BUT where I was on a high dose it was ten times worse. Not everyone works the same. You might not have that much trouble, you might be completely different. I have heard with slow tapering it can be a easy process if the taper is done right. That is the way with alot of medication though.
It is definitely worth it. There is not enough money in the world that you could give me to go back on pills and try to wean off. I feel like I am normal except for the fact that I am having fertility problems. That isn't caused by the Sub, its just something that is keeping me from feeling completely normal. However, I have had a wonderful experience on Suboxone. I have told my husband that if I come off and feel alot of pain that I am going right back on it. I will NEVER go back to pills for pain or anything else. It takes care of the pain that I have with my back and PMS cramps. If I feel pain, I will take a 1mg piece which knocks pain of the mild to moderate sort.
I hope that this helped some. I hope that it goes well for you. It has changed my life for the better and I would never go back to that old lifestyle.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:31 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I didn't take the time to read the replies so if I repeat here, forgive me

In no particular order, here is what i've experienced....

.5 is a low dose. It took me 8mg to break withdrawal on induction. I had a norco habit. 20 a day or so. If I was lucky, 45mg oxy twice a day was a real treat.

Sub effects people in different ways.
It will take a week to find your comfort zone and don't expect to get good sleep. Insomnia is a hallmark side effect from what I understand. It was for me.

It didn't make me tired.. I usually do get pretty tired though if I go a couple days without.
You have got to expect constipation, get something for it so you are prepared.

Bupe has shown to be effective in some cases with depression. It's a controversial subject and to each their own. For me, my depression played the leading role in why I used in the first place.
The sub keeps me leveled out emotionally. It's been helpful to me in keeping my commitments.

I'd like to be able to take some Ambien myself at times, but my doc hasn't brought it up, and I haven't asked. He gave me Trazadone at first which I found horrible.. Then we tried Doxepin which didn't seem to work. I just had to wait it out and adapt to the medicine for my insomnia to subside.

I have gained weight. From 165 to 190. I'm a tall, lengthy guy and my gut is bigger than its ever been. At times I wonder if it was the right choice to start.. But that is ridiculous to question really. If I could have gotten off the narcotics myself, I would have. It was the right choice in the end. Like I mentioned above, its had a positive effect with my depression. I don't feel like i'm drowning in sorrow anymore which was what life was like for the 2 years prior to finding opiates.

Don't kick yourself down, even though at times you will want to. Get yourself down to the lowest dose that feels right, that will lessen the side effects.

Pat yourself on the back for getting away from the pain killers. This is a step in the right direction either way. You're family will benefit from this choice.

I hope things steady out for you soon. I'm sure they will. If you like your doctor, stick with em. Get a good relationship going there if you can and you will feel better about the whole thing.

Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Brown Eyed Girl wrote:
Hello spditup and welcome to the forum. I can sum up all your questions and answer them in basically one sentence....subs make you feel NORMAL, or as normal as you possibly can be. You shouldn't feel high, loopy, lethargic, impaired, or anything else, just basically good, and normal on the subs. I work full time, do anything, and go anywhere I need to go while on the subs. They don't stop me from doing anything I want to do.

Everyone says "normal", but what if your previous "normal" was very unhappy? Does that mean I'm going to be depressed, anxious, and unhappy on the subs just like I would be without them? I mean, that is what made me start recreation usage in the first place. And, that's "normal" to me. :|

Thanks Karen, for your detailed response and your well wishes though. I appreciate it. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

pitbullmomma34 wrote:
The first week of Suboxone for me was amazing. It was like seeing the world new again with hope. I was completely full of energy, all my pain was gone and I was living high on the hog. I felt normal, completely normal. I was ok to drive even though I don't drive because I just hate to drive. He hates to ride and I hate to drive so it works out wonderfully for us. When I take my dose, I get a bit sleepy and sometimes I will have a catnap and wake up refreshed. Sometimes, normally during my time of the month when I take my dose I dont go to sleep, and if they do make me sleepy when I wake up I can get kinda groggy feeling. It just depends on how my body is feeling during the month. My doctor doesn't prescribe Benzo's with Suboxone because even though you can take small doses of them, he just feels like alot of that stuff will lead to another addiction. I don't ask for Xanax or anything like that to add to it, because I have dealt with my anxiety issues other ways. Music works wonders for me with anxiety. When it comes to appetite, I will tell you one thing steer clear of Krispy Kreme donuts. I can eat a whole box of 12, belch and want more. It is sad yes I know, but ever since I have been on Suboxone I think my stomach has became a bottomless pit. Suboxone really I dont think has changed my mood although my husband thinks that I am back to normal. He says that it has given him his wife back. When I was hooked on pills, I was hateful and mean all the time because I was so stressed out about the bottle becoming empty. It has however caused me to smoke more. I roll my own so I haven't started spending any more in that area.
When I first started, I was on a high dose. I had some financial trouble back last November and had to stop it for about 2 weeks. Those were the worst 2 weeks of my life because of such a high dose. When I went back on Suboxone after I seen that there was no way in the world that I was ready to go off completely, I went back on a lower dose. I think that in a few months I will have no trouble coming off, but I am doing this slowly. Perc's for me if I tried to come off was never successful. I was sick and nasty feeling, wanted to kill myself and the whole shabang. With this stuff, when I started coming down it was the same BUT where I was on a high dose it was ten times worse. Not everyone works the same. You might not have that much trouble, you might be completely different. I have heard with slow tapering it can be a easy process if the taper is done right. That is the way with alot of medication though.
It is definitely worth it. There is not enough money in the world that you could give me to go back on pills and try to wean off. I feel like I am normal except for the fact that I am having fertility problems. That isn't caused by the Sub, its just something that is keeping me from feeling completely normal. However, I have had a wonderful experience on Suboxone. I have told my husband that if I come off and feel alot of pain that I am going right back on it. I will NEVER go back to pills for pain or anything else. It takes care of the pain that I have with my back and PMS cramps. If I feel pain, I will take a 1mg piece which knocks pain of the mild to moderate sort.
I hope that this helped some. I hope that it goes well for you. It has changed my life for the better and I would never go back to that old lifestyle.

Inspiring - thanks pitbullmomma34! I hate that lifestyle, always worried about where I'm going to get my next pill. I feel that way now, in fact. And tomorrow I am to start the subs again, so I can't take anything else for 24 hours or so anyways, I just crave something (perc). I guess this proves I "need" the subs huh? My cravings just won't quit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ryan.is.Tryin wrote:

Bupe has shown to be effective in some cases with depression. It's a controversial subject and to each their own. For me, my depression played the leading role in why I used in the first place.
The sub keeps me leveled out emotionally. It's been helpful to me in keeping my commitments.

Ryan

Same reason I started abusing, Ryan - lots of depression, lifelong. I guess I found opiates as the quickest and most satisfying fix. I do hope the subs don't put me back in that depressive stage. I'm already kind of there, weaning off the opiates. I just want to even out better, I hope the subs can do that for me, or at least give me a chance to get my head screwed on a little tighter again.
Thanks for your response! I start the Subs this weekend - doc said 0.5mg but I'm going to start with 0.25, as 0.5 last time still made me too doped up.

Thank you guys! I'll post an update soon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

When I first went on suboxone I felt normal. I was put on 8 mg about two n half months ago. I'm still on 8 mg. it gave me my life back. I could do stuff with my daughter like take her to canal n out for a day without worrying about when to take the next pill x

Don't one day, SAY TODAY!
There is always a solution to the problem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You have gotten some great answers here, but I just thought I would add that some people, especially those with a lower tolerance to opiates, do feel a bit "high" when first starting suboxone. If you can push through it and start slow and low, that feeling will go away pretty quickly. As your body adjusts to the bupe you won't feel loopy anymore. After about a week you will get that "normal" feeling. Not depressed, but more like how you felt while on the percs minus the high. Just a general contented and calm feeling.

Good luck with your induction! I hope we get an update from you soon.

Q