It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Does anyone know what Gabapentin shows up as on a drug screen?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:49 pm 

Well I don't know what it shows up as, but I know that some clinics in my area (mine included) don't allow the patients to take it. There were several ppl recently got in trouble for taking it. I assumed that it showed up in their drug screen but I'm not positive about that. My clinic has a lab in it, so they may do a more thorough test and can find it. Heck happy, I'm not sure about anything other than some places don't allow u to take it, so surly it shows up as something lol. Didn't help much did I? :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:28 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jenn,
I was prescribed it from my Sub Dr's office. They said they didn't have a problem with. But I was question a few weeks ago and was asked if I took any anti-depressants(which I don't) and when I told the nurse I was taking Gabapentin, she said" Oh ok, that's it then". And now they want me to come in and take a drug screen every 2 weeks instead of once per month. They said the state (Ohio) laws had changed, but that is BS! The laws haven't changed as far as I can tell. So I am still trying to figure out what is really going on. I have been a model patient and have had no problems with them until now. All I can find out is Gabs can increase your Creatine levels. But so does my BP medicine. I am just trying to find out why they lied to me about the laws, but I am afraid to ask too many questions.
The only real thing that makes sense to me is they just don't make enough money off of a model patient as far as billing Medicaid. They make a lot more money off of a problem patient. Does that make any sense? I know I have been pissed off ever since. I am 54 years old and I don't need to be babysitted. I was hoping that the guy named Mark who is a drug counselor on here could maybe help with the answers I am seeking. But he hasn't responded. As far as the Gabapentin, I just can't find any answers anywhere on what it would show up as. Maybe some one will eventually come along with some answers.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good question. I'd actually be inclined to think it doesn't show up on standard tests, but I'm really not all that sure. When I was on suboxone, my doc tested me every month regardless of how I was doing, it was just his standard protocol. I tested "dirty" twice in the 6 years I was his patient and both times I had not taken anything else. Once was for opiate and the other time it was for a benzo. I don't have the first clue as to how that happened, but it's highly unlikely that he believed me. When I tested + for opiates he turned me away and I had to find another doc right away that would see me. I had an appointment the very next day and tested clean. So, go figure.

My question is, wouldn't they just tell you if you tested + for something other than sub?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:47 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Tiny,
That is why I am upset. They could have just told me and not just left me wondering what showed up that made her question me about antidepressants. The only thing I can find says that it changes the ratios of creatine in the urine and makes you suspect of using marijuana which I do occasionally take a few hits every now and then, but I can't imagine that even showing up , but maybe it did and it was so small of a change that they let me slide without punishing me to the full degree and decided to monitor me a little closer. I guess that makes sense. When I go in for my refill, I am going to stay right there and watch the procedure and see what happens and ask a few dumb questions. lol
Thanks everyone for listening to my rants! lol
Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

All drug screens test for creatine levels. They use it as a gauge to see if a patient is flushing (ie drinking lots of water) to mask a dirty drug screen. If a person's flushing, they have abnormally low creatine levels.

Perhaps in your case the creatine levels were abnormally high, so they were suspicious you might have been supplementing creatine to cover the fact you were flushing? Who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That makes sense but I still wonder why they asked him about being on antidepressants? Whenever something showed up in my ua's, my doc flat out told me and asked me about it. It was always something I was prescribed for anxiety or adhd.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:14 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Whatever it was, wasn't a very big deal or they would have made me go to counseling once a week and a line of other stuff. Maybe I am just making a mountain out of a mole hill. But everything is ok. I don't have to see anybody when I go in to the Dr's office, just give a Drug screen and leave. But I am going to ask the nurse what she meant. I will let everyone know what she says. This is how we all learn more about this stuff. Maybe you guys could ask your Drs and nurses too and see what they say?
Oh, and another thing, I had just handed it to her and she said that while I was standing there. So it must be something they measure right then. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:42 am 

Hi Happy, When you say, just handed it to her, do you mean the urine cup? If so, then she would have been going on the color of the urine? Just trying to understand a little more! The thing I would think they might be concerned about is the use of benzos as we all know that danger. I know from collecting urine screens years ago that if it was almost clear, usually the person was trying to flush. I'm interested to hear what you find out! Hope you are having a wonderful day!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:44 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Michelle,
There was nothin' wrong with the color of my urine and I never take Benzos. I will find out tomorrow. I am going to watch her and ask questions so I will know what happened and I am going to share my findings so we can all learn from this! lol