It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:33 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Is it regular standard to be tested for ALL drugs by the Dr prescribing Suboxone? And has anyone failed this test for drugs other than opiates? I'm curious what the consequences are for failing a full panel test. Can they stop your treatment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:50 am 
Well, I see that no one has answered your question, so I'll give it a shot.
I don't think that there is a "rule" as to whether or not the doctors who prescribe Suboxone must do drug screens on their patients. I would imagine that it is left to the physician's discretion. Personally, my doctor has not tested me at all as of yet. I have been on Suboxone for a little over 2 months. From what I have read on this forum, however, a lot of docs do test. Before starting Suboxone I went through a different outpatient treatment program and the counselors there did spring a random urine drug screen on us once during the 4-week program. There were a couple of people in my group of about 10 who popped positives for marijuana and one guy for benzos. Both of those patients were there for alcohol dependence. The counselors discussed the results with the entire group saying that because it was a complete abstinence based program that they were concerned whether these individuals needed a "higher level of care" such as inpatient treatment. They were not dismissed from the program, but were both recommened to continue longer than the initial 4 weeks. Neither one did what was recommended.
Anyway - kind of off subject. When you started your Suboxone treatment - were you given a contract that stated that you were to abstain from all mind or mood altering substances? Did it state that you would be tested? If so, and you test positive for something other than Suboxone - I would say that yes, the doctor could dismiss you from care. Hopefully, and probably most likely, the doctor would discuss this with you and try to find out why you're having problems and try to help you work on it.
My doctor put it to me that - there are so many people wanting Suboxone and the docs are only allowed a limited number of patients. Therefore they don't really want to waste their time on people who are not serious about their own recovery. They will give your spot to someone else if you're not gonna play by their rules, in other words.
Of course, there are liability issues as well - they don't want you mixing your Sub with other drugs that could hurt you, so they need to know if you are endangering yourself.
I'm not saying I agree with it, but I guess I at least kind of understand it. I know there are a lot of people who are on Suboxone that still use alcohol or other drugs. They just want to be clean from opiates. Far be it from me to judge anyone on their path to recovery. I do think it's important to try to play by the rules though - to take your meds as your doctor prescribes and participate in whatever recovery methods your doctor has suggested and if that is abstinence from other drugs and alcohol - then that should be your goal. As addicts, we like to bend the rules, self-prescribe, and get by with crap that we know we shouldn't be doing. It's part of the disease, and in my opinion we've got to work hard not just on getting free from opiates, but in getting free from those old ways of thinking and behaving.
I wish you the best and hope that your doctor does not dismiss you from care if you fail your drug test. Everyone deserves a second (sometimes third, fourth and so on) chance to get this right.
I'd be curious to know how others on the forum feel about the issue - should Sub docs drug screen us? do you feel it's important to abstain from other drugs and alcohol while on Suboxone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i have been on subs for about 5 years. 1 dr i had gave me a drug test every month for all opiates, trees, benzos wich i had to pay $25 each test in office. i did fail one test. i tested positive for benzos. on that visit they didnt tell me i failed. what they do is send it to a lab to be tested further. it was a false positive (i wasnt taking any benzos) but the lab is who tested more extensively to find out and it turns out the dr office tests usually r not much different than the home test kits therefore u can have a false positive in the office. if u do fail and know that u didnt take anything-request that it be sent out to a lab. the down side is that u will get a bill for about $300 from the lab. there r many different kinds of drug tests. they can test for anything they please. i also understand that they can test to make sure u have ur subs in ur system now. that is probably a different test since it doesnt show up on a regular drug test. on the other hand the doc i have been seeing for the past 2 years has never tested me and i only have to c him once every 4 months and he gives me 3 refills on my monthly rx. he does all this to help save me money since i am self pay. this is my 3rd dr. so yes it is at there discretion but i have read and signed papers at each different docs office stateing that i will no longer use any illegal drugs, allow any doc to prescribe me any controlled substance and that i can be called at anytime to take a drug test. they can also check all ur pharmacy history to make sure u arent geting a controlled substance from another provider. i will assume that it all depends on the doctor if ur kicked out of the program or not. if i would have failed with one doc-i can assure u he would have loved to kick my ass out the door. my current doc would work with me to find out what the hell my problem was but i am very fortunate to have found a compassionate doctor. now that u have me thinking...the 2 that really wanted to help me were psychiatrists and the one that treated me like i was gonna rob them everytime i walked in the door was just family practice. im just wondering if the choice of practice had something to do with it? good question! anyway hope that helps and just dont risk it!!!