It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all! I've been reading posts on this forum for months now and find everyone who has shared experiences to be very helpful:) thank you for doing so!
I am 39wks pregnant expecting baby any day now yayyy!! however I have so much anxiety and am soooo worried about my newborn suffering and showing signs of NAS:( and having to leave him/her @hospital...I am on 3-4mg a day of sub. i was on 12-14mg a day when I became pregnant and have been able to taper down. even though from my research i gather that dosage really doesn't prove to matter in w/d for baby but I want off this anyway and figure being on less can't hurt, being that I tapered responsibly w/ dr's help and during end of 2nd&3rd trimester.
My ob doesn't seem to know all that much about sub:( however the more I brought it up she did seem to know a little more each time I came in so she did start researching it and checking in @ our hosp NICU...but the 1st time I asked I felt like she was judging me horribly and she scared the crap out of me:( our family does not know my husband&I are on sub, nor do we care to share this with them. So, I am wondering if anyone who had to leave there baby in the hospital to be treated for nas was in our situation? what did you tell your family if they were not aware of your situation? were you able to keep it from them? I can't stand the thought of lying but my husband is very against telling family the truth. we have been in recovery 2 years now I have heard people tell thier family the baby swallowed meconium or had respiratory issues. when I asked my sub dr he said this would be no problem and the nurses in NICU would keep there mouths shut if anyone in my family asked anything but my ob says well sometimes people miss things on your chart and might forget and slip.....i also wonder if your baby had to be treated for NAS was it with a morphine drip? this makes me sick to think this is a possiblity:( I am so scared 1 judgemental nurse scoring my baby is going to cause my baby to be put on morphine when infact so many nas symptoms are just typical things for newborns to begin with!! my ob told me after checking into my dose and hospital that chances were we would be out of hospital w/in 48hrs, i thought gr8! then yesterday she said she spoke with nurses in NICU and wanted to prepare me for the chance that the baby could have to stay a week or so as this is sometimes the case there! and she knows my concern with telling my family but thinks honesty is the best policy, as do i but sometimes your parents just don't need to know everything about you, especially if they tell your big mouth family members who will tell the whole world...does anyone have any ideas of what I could tell my family if baby needs to stay for treatment? everyone lives nearby and will be coming to visit....I'm so excited to have our new baby and I will do anything to take care of him/her especially if they are suffering due to the sub, i just feel so scared and anxious at the concern of what we will tell our family!! please help me with this.....soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, 1st off congratulations on your coming bundle of joy! I have not had a baby on subs but my daughters were born at 36 weeks and had to stay in the nicu (one for 8 days, the other for 10th days) so I have experience with the nicu. I don't know if all hospitals are the same but other family members were only aloud in the nicu if they were with me or my husband. So you could go in ahead and talk the nurse charged with your baby before bringing any one else in. Also you will quickly learn the schedule as they usually assess your baby at certain times. You also can call ahead to get an update that way the nurse will have already given you any info before bringing someone in. Also remember it is against the law for them to give out any information to anyone but you and your husband unless you sign a waiver.

Now all that being said I have no idea what you could tell your family. If they are anything like mine they will want updates all the time. I am sorry you are going thru this but chances are your baby will be fine and you will not have to worry about any of this. I wish you and your baby health and happiness!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been thinking about this too. My family knows my history that I'm on sub and the possibility of NAS and they are supportive but my husband's family has no idea and we do not want them to know! They are old fashioned and judgemental. If the baby does have to stay a little longer I was thinking of just saying that they are watching her for any problems because of all the health issues I've had and meds I'm on. I am on quite a few different ones for different issues and have had thyroid and blood pressure problems. We just won't offer up any detailed explanations and give vague answers/play dumb if they ask questions. My sister-in-law is a nurse and a nosy little witch so she's the only one I'd be worried about but really, it's none of her's or any one else's business!
You could say they suspect an infection or something to that effect. Talk to the nurses and let them know your concerns, if they're nice see if they may have some suggestions. They cannot violate HIPPA laws!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: I'm in the same boat!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi ! My name is Jessy and I am pretty much in the same boat. I have done TONS and TONS of research, and through alot of thinking and thinking and more thinking and consulting with OB and Subutex doc and the nicu doctors who actually take care of the WD babys here at the hospital I plan to deliver at ( I am here currently for unrelated issues - asthma :C ), my husband and I have decided it will be best for my little girl for me to continue on my low dose of subutex (2Mgs a day). I struggle with this decisions still, as I WAS clean, didn't know I was pregnant, and relapsed. Guilt is a something that i struggle with , and yet I still have this strong sense of calm and peace, like I know she will be ok as long as I am here, advocating and doing what is best for HER and not ME. I am 19 weeks today, and due April 18th. A few family members know of the Subutex, my sister in law is on them as well, but my parents DO NOT. and I don't want them too. First of all, the are very judgmental and I am still in a process of not judging MYSELF, I don't need anyone else to do it for me. I also don't need people second guessing and nay saying my decision, I know in my heart of heart that in my current circumstance that I am doing what is best for my daughter. Anyway, I just wanted to share, relate, and see if anyone has some tips on what I can tell my family as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If you didnt want to tell ppl that the baby was being treated for nas, ( I did t want to either but luckily it wasn't a issue) you can always say she's being treated for jaundice, unless family will be In the hospital often, which could be a problem if they don't see the lamps they use to treat it with. Another option someone already pointd out is, inform nurses, etc, to not give out any info to anyone that visits or calls, whether you are present or not. They'll just tell them they aren't allowed to discuss it due to hospital policies, HIPPA, what ever... I tried to decided what I was going to tell people. I considered telling family that I was o a medication during my pregnancy, and they wanted to watch her and keep her for a while to make sure it didnt affect her adversely. You don't have to say its suboxone, you can say its anything really, or you can choose not to tell them what it was, instead, you could just say that you had a condition that needed treated during the pregnancy, took medication for it, and are now making sure the baby's ok. Hope that helps and hope it wasn't too redundant lol.... Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I would love to hear an update of your story. I am 16 weeks and scared to death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I worked in the healthcare field for years. I was in administration when HIPPA laws came out. So if the question you want help with is how to explain to family about why the possibility of the NICU you just have to make your wishes known to the doctor and staff treating your baby. They cannot and can be held liable if they release any information about you or your baby. You should just make sure ahead of time that you discuss with them your wishes and how questions should be handled. We are usually our own worst enemy as addicts, and you may not ever know but anyone in the hospital treating you or your child may be dealing with the same thing. I have noticed that most people are supportive, at least to my face, lol. Just take it one day at a time and keep your healthcare providers informed of how you would like any situation that may arise handled. I wish you the best of luck, my babies are 20 and 18. I miss the little years.

Post subject: Thank you HoneyBun
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:34 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thank you for your response honeybun. This forum has been very quiet lately. I would love to hear some updates from some of these pregnancies post delivery. I have read all of the birth stories I had to select from.
I was quite confident that babies were delivered without any withdrawl from sub...but I am very quickly starting to sway the opposite way. It really makes no sense that some do and some don't. Now I believe they all do, but just to different degrees and some VERY minimal. This is really scary. I can hardly be excited about my upcoming bundle of joy. I am thankful for HIPPA. But it seems that family (especially since I have a N.P. sister) always has a way of getting the medical "dirt". And I am just so scared. Thank you again very much. I still have a ways to go. And maybe my sub doc will have me off of them once I deliver...He is supposed to ween me down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I will be 16 weeks tomorrow and am having the exact same problem. Besides my husband, my dad is the only one that knows that I'm on suboxone and he is very supportive - he is probably the least judgmental person I know. My husband's family on the other hand... it's not that I think they will be hateful or angry or anything like that, but they do have a bad habit (especially my MIL) of spreading personal information about family members. I live in an area of the country where suboxone is not well understood and people here can be very misinformed and intolerant about addiction.

I've been on 6mg/day for six years - a long time. When I got married I told my subox-dox that we would like to start trying for children soon, and what should I do to prepare? He told me to stay on suboxone - never even mentioned tapering, though I planned to do it anyway. Lo and behold I got pregnant on the honeymoon. I've tapered to 4-5mg per day now (not a huge accomplishment, I know).

I am a little bit afraid for my baby, because of course no mom wants their child to suffer. But, I honestly don't feel that it will be too much of an issue. I am planning to taper to 2mg/day by my 8th month. I'm praying that my baby will be healthy and happy. I vacillate between extreme anxiety and an overwhelming sense of calm, that everything will be alright. I'm trying not to stress myself out.

That being said, my husband's family being at the hospital is what's really worrying me. They live 10 minutes away from us, and it's my MIL's first grandchild, so she's super excited (obsessive even). I'm thrilled that she's so happy and wants to be involved, but I worry if I tell them about the suboxone that I'll never hear the end of it. Every sneeze, ever whimper... anything that ever happens will blamed on my use of suboxone. So what should I do? How can I have this baby without his family finding out that I am on suboxone? I can't just tell the hospital staff not to give them any information. It won't work. My MIL will continue to push my husband and me until one of us tells her something. If we lie and say it's some other condition, she will research it to disprove us.

My plan so far is to tell my husband not to call his parents/family until I have safely delivered, and we can assess how the long the baby needs to be monitored for. But what if they want to keep my baby for a couple days? weeks? months? How am I going to explain it?

It's a horrible situation to be in when you can't trust people to be understanding and supportive. Addiction is still so stigmatized. If I were on any other life-saving prescription medication, I would not be judged harshly if at all. But because this medication is for addiction - even though the doctor advised me to stay on it during pregnancy - I will be judged for the rest of my life for my choices.

Sorry for the length...I've had a lot of anxiety about this and was so happy to see others in my same situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:08 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Have you decided where you will deliver yet? Is your OB aware of your sub use? I may have missed it, but hopefully you are on Subutex now, just one less drug to worry about.
My advice to you is to call and interview potential hospitals where you will deliver. I was pregnant recently(by accident) and before I made a decision on how to proceed, I did extensive research and interviews with OB units, NICU units, OB GYN's, and mothers who have previously delivered on Subutex. See if you can contact the Labor and Delivery Units & the NICU units where you will potentially deliver. Be very honest with them and ask questions about their protocol. I would not tell them the baby was planned, as most already tend to be judgmental enough. I have found that most nurses will be happy to discuss protocols with you and it may even help when it comes time for you to deliver, as they may know you and know you have done everything you could to prepare
From what I have read, some Mom's choose to tell their families that the baby inhaled meconium(not swallowed, as swallowing is usually ok, its when the meconium is inhaled into the lungs that there is a problem.
The next thing is to be very direct with your OB and nurses when discussing this...Tell them that you do not wnat any medical care discussed with or in front of visitors. When you are admitted they can note your chart. Mention this when discussing the HIPPA policy you will be signing during pre-registration for your hospital stay.
Also, please start reading about NAS and how to soothe baby...learn everything you can before baby comes so that you will be prepared in the event that your baby needs extra care. It's better to know and not need the info, then need and it not know.
I will pray that you have a safe & healthy delivery and that you will not have to worry about any of this! If at all possible, taper as low as you can comfortably go...I have heard of some women being able to get completely off in the 2nd trimester. Please keep me updated...With what I went through and finding it extremely hard to find solid facts about Sub use during pregnancy, I have started to compile research and info together for a study. I hope to post the results of this here and other places as a way to help women make informed choices regarding family planning and childbirth on Subutex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

There is really on one hospital in my area with a NICU and my ob has hospital privileges only there, so I just have that one option. It is a great idea to discuss this with them ahead of time - I will be sure to do that soon. My ob is 100% aware that I am on suboxone, but I don't know exactly how familiar she is with the medication. She didn't seem too concerned, just encouraged me to taper. She never asked whether or not the baby was planned, so it wasn't an issue at all.

I thought it was kind of weird that she prescribed fiorcet for my debilitating migraines since butalbital (act. ingredient in fiorcet) is a barbituate and it's is supposedly dangerous to mix barbituatetes and opiates isn't it? I haven't had any problems with it - in fact the fiorcet has been a Godsend at work - but it did seem maybe a little irresponsible for her to prescribe it to suboxone patient?

Oh and to answer your question, no I am not on subutex. My doctor (sub doc) didn't deem it necessary to switch me because the naloxone is not absorbed (or because of it's lower affinity relative to bupe - not sure which reason it was). I didn't question this too much because it an opinion Dr. Junig shares.

I do wonder why tapering is so often suggested. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, and I am doing it, but tapering induces some form of withdrawal, does it not? So why is it better to allow the baby to withdraw in-utero with no supportive medications or even a comforting word? Is it so that the parents and medical staff don't have to deal with seeing the baby going through withdrawl? Or does the baby not suffer in-utero? I'm not being snarky at all - I am genuinely wondering why doctors always want pregnant women to taper their dose.

I guess I could tell my husband's family that the baby inhaled meconium, as much as I hate to lie about something so serious. This sounds a little silly, but I feel like I'm tempting fate by planning to invent a different condition. I really have to think carefully about this. It's not about what's best for me, it's about what's best for my baby.

I really appreciate your response and I will definitely be sure to research NAS and how to care for an NAS baby. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again!!

Post subject: NAS
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

First of, my heart goes out to all of you. This is not easy by any means and is very stressful. I've been in all of your shoes.

Secondly, I'd like to say that I have a NAS scoring sheet. It's current, and up to date. So if you have any questions about scoring newborns for NAS, please let me know.

Bless all of you
-Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That is what furicet is for. Headaches.

Snake