It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I want to get switched to subutex, because the cost of suboxone and suboxone film are way to high. im on 16mg a day.

the tablets are $8.70 a pill at my pharmacy (i called all pharmacies around here and this place is the cheapest)
the films are about $7.15, only good this is the discount card you get, my pharmacist gives me 10 free films a month, cause i cant afford to fill my whole script at once. the bad thing is, the card expires in march.

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Depends on your doc. Many folks (including myself) are/were fed a load a crap about the switch "being against the guidelines". I had accepted it wouldn't happen. Then, I got in financial dire straits, found out the needymeds slots were filled, and my doc offered it. As usual, simply being honest about what was happening in my life was the best thing! If the choice is switching or having to cease treatment, some stubborn docs come around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If you feel that it's likely that your doc will refuse and you have to lie, there's:

- Allergic reaction (like mouth ulcers) to the sweetener in Suboxone.
- Headaches from the swallowed naloxone in your saliva causing.

Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head and the latter has happened to me.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:04 am 
I can vouch for the allergic reaction thing because it is me that it happend to. I told my doctor from the beginning that i was allergic to artificial sweetners but he either didnt know suboxone had an artificial sweetner or he just didnt care. I ended up getting canker sores in my mouth for months and months until i switched to subutex and havent had any since. The artificial sweetner in suboxone is called (Acesulfame k Sweetner). I've heard of people who get sores that arent even allergic to the sweetner. I wouldnt really suggest lying to your doctor but if its for the better good, then do what you gotta do. Hope it works out!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:51 pm 
I wanted to switch to subutex too but my doc wouldnt do it Im was frustrated as hell. But something awesome happened yesterday, the nurse called me from his office and told me that she called the RB patient assistance program director and got the girl who was one spot ahead of me on the program revoked for testing dirty for opiates every appointment and is putting my papers through again because she said its not fair to me since Im staying clean and working recovery that I dont get the assistance when I need it while this girl uses heroin daily and gets loads of free subs on top of it. After all this waiting and being patient I think it finaly payed off and Im gonna be able to stay on suboxone for a lot longer and most importantly be able to get my dosage raised back up to where it needs to be so I wont be struggling with cravings nearly as much anymore. All I gotta do is go get two documents for the program tomorrow and drop em by the docs office and the nurse is gonna fax it over and hopefully all goes well and I should be accepted. Im excited but this has happened before and I was let down but this time I know there is an open spot for me so I realy hope it comes through

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:02 pm 
Suboxowned:

Thats great news!! Hopefully this will put you in a better place now that you can take the dose you need!! If their is an open spot, i dont see any reason for being denied. Goodluck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

suboxOWNED wrote:
I wanted to switch to subutex too but my doc wouldnt do it Im was frustrated as hell. But something awesome happened yesterday, the nurse called me from his office and told me that she called the RB patient assistance program director and got the girl who was one spot ahead of me on the program revoked for testing dirty for opiates every appointment and is putting my papers through again because she said its not fair to me since Im staying clean and working recovery that I dont get the assistance when I need it while this girl uses heroin daily and gets loads of free subs on top of it. After all this waiting and being patient I think it finaly payed off and Im gonna be able to stay on suboxone for a lot longer and most importantly be able to get my dosage raised back up to where it needs to be so I wont be struggling with cravings nearly as much anymore. All I gotta do is go get two documents for the program tomorrow and drop em by the docs office and the nurse is gonna fax it over and hopefully all goes well and I should be accepted. Im excited but this has happened before and I was let down but this time I know there is an open spot for me so I realy hope it comes through

Yea man thats real good news, i hope you can get in that spot so you can get on the dose you really need to help your recovery. Its def got to be upsetting knowing what that girl was doing when here you are trying to save your life why she is just throwing hers away to get free meds to sell for her drugs its sad you Dr wouldnt even let that go on ive never heard of such a thing around here with Drs letting that go on. But ill keep my finger crossed for ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Some doctors simply won't budge on prescribing subutex, because they buy into the whole "increased diversion" theory. I asked my doc to switch me, too, but he wouldn't hear of it. If you don't have insurance, then you could apply for the patient assistance program that offers free meds for a year. Each doctor is allowed 3 patients on the program at a time.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:15 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Wow I'm really glad I read this one, there are a lot of threads concerning people trying to get generics and having trouble as am I. But now that I put it all together I really need to switch. I was on generic subutex for about a year in New England because I lost my insurance 6 months into my program and my doc was cool enough to trust me with them. I did prove I was worthy by staying clean ofcourse. But I moved to Tucson, AZ almost for months ago and all my new doc feels comfortable giving me is the film, but now I'm realizing I've had atleast 2 migraines a week since I've been here and even as many as 3_4 days in a row sometimes. I wonder if its because I'm taking the naloxone again.I'm such an optomist I thought it was just the climate change and stocked up on excedrin migraine, but this is like the 50th time I've heard this headache thing, anyone else experience this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:27 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

LTDS5,

Sorry to hear your having difficulty getting your Doc to prescribe Subutex for you. And the migranes.....Geez, I HATE getting headaches! I've suffered from headaches/sometimes migranes my entire life. (Mostly due to my low blood sugar)

Im currently on Subutex, but I was on Suboxone for about a year before I became pregnant.

Umm, I do remember getting headaches MORE FREQUENTLY when I first got on Suboxone. I'd get nauseous after dosing sometimes too. I read that spitting out the left-over saliva.....after YOUR SURE that your dose has dissolved (I'd give it at least 30min before spitting) can alleviate the headaches.

After I started spitting out my leftover saliva, my headaches became pretty rare and my nausea went away. You may wanna try this. You could also explain to your new doctor, about your migraines....maybe he'd give in to prescribing the Subutex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi LTDS5,

Welcome to the forum!!

We have had several members who complain of headaches while on Suboxone. The best we can figure is that it's the Naloxone and Marie is right, if you'll spit out all that left over saliva, instead of swallowing it, it seems to help a lot. Give it a shot and let us know if it works for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:15 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for the tip, I've heard this idea of spitting and was always worried about wasting a dose, but it makes sense if you wait 20 plus minutes the bupe has got to be pretty much absorbed, and ill keep everyone posted on what happebs with my doc next month. I support my fiance and 15 month old son and the generics would save me like 150$ a month, that's a lot of diapers man, now that he knows I'm responsible he's got to help me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Honesty is probably the best policy, honestly.

Unless he's a new naive addiction doc, odds on he could smell bullshit a mile away. These docs wise up pretty quick because of their clientele :lol:

It'd be hard to fake mouth blisters from the flavouring, unless you're willing to put caustic soda in your mouth for a couple of minutes.

And I dunno about naloxone causing headaches, given Subutex caused headaches just as much as Suboxone for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree that honesty is the best policy. The doctor has to trust you in order to change your prescription, if the the doctor thinks you're lying, well, that doesn't do much to support your case. Most doctors will listen to your need for a more affordable version of the medicine. It's actually an extremely common problem. You can also switch to a more affordable health insurance plan that will cover your prescriptions. Where there's a will there's a way and there are many options to make the medication more affordable.

edited to remove link. please don't spam the forum thanks.