It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am wondering what i can tak eto help with the wd's prior to taking the sub. I have been on oxy's a while snorting them, i am quiting i know i have to waiut till i am in wd's but i am wondering cani take sleep eze, over the counter sleeping aid and gravel to help get the time in before starting the subs? i have myself down to 3-4 40's a day and am ready, i told my doc but he increased my perscription as he thought that woiuld help, i got a couple sub off a friend, he said he broke them into quarters and they worked, i wanna try the same, it's just putting the time in needed before i take it to avoid prec wd's, so if anyone can tell me if i can take an over the counter sleeping aid, and some gravol, and maybe some aleive for the headaches and sweats, thank-you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi tireddad and welcome to the forum. It's always great to hear when someone decides to end the craziness of active addiction. Suboxone can be a terrific tool to help put us into "addiction remission". I'm not clear though, are you going to start taking sub that you got off the street or are you seeing a doctor for them? The questions you're asking are the reason that starting and taking suboxone under the care of a doctor is the best way to go. That said, as far as I know (and I'm not a doctor) you shouldn't have any problems taking OTC meds to get you through. Also, have you looked at a COWS spreadsheet? You can find it easily by Googling it and it will help you chart your withdrawals symptoms so you know what state of withdrawals you are in. Again, welcome and I hope you find as much support here as I have.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello and thank-you for responding, i am getting my sub off the street, i went to the doc talked abit about what i though and what i felt and he just increased my oxy dose, so i decided to this on my own, i will be doing 2mg a day roughly

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:57 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oh wow, so you told your doc what was going on and he just increased you oxy's?> Wow/ i suggest finding a sub doc. MAny people on here have the site to find them on, Im sure someone will post. It's the buprenorphine treatment program mathcing center or something, they can match you with a sub dr. Seriously thats the way to go. I hope someone posts the links for you. You wanna do this the right way. Trust me! But, you are taking the right step. Best wishes.

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey tireddad- I am new to this site (as well as to Subs,...I have only been on Subs a little over two weeks) Just wanted to let ya know that I took a few Advils, during those hours before induction....and I too, tried to sleep thru some of it, since my induction was in the AM. After reading your post....I totally agree with RTLmom....you need to find a Sub doc. Sub is an awesome medication, however, you don't want to take a chance of getting yours off the street...for several reasons...first and foremost....Sub is a prescrition medication, and a doctor really needs to be able to monitor how your body reacts to it...second....I would hate to see you start on this life saving med, and then GOD forbid you aren't able to continue getting it off the streets. Once you start on Sub, you don't need the added stress (like the stress of chasing opiates...or what ever the DOC is) of having to worry where you are getting your next Subs from. Being able to stay steady with a Sub doc will reinforce your recovery...if that makes sense? Sorry to put my two cents in.....I just know how important recovery is...and since you have made the choice to go on Sub, I want you to be able to continue with out any worries. Good Luck to you, and I will check back here soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:50 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey tireddad-

I hope you will post again with details of how you are doing with your choice.

After reading the thread, it is awesome to see so many kind responses. I am thinking there is a lot to the story - where you talk to your doctor (maybe about withdrawal? not sub?) and he increases your oxy dose. It has been my experience that most doctors, again my opinion, that there is an underlying condition when they do this.

If you have a serious chronic pain issue, please, please, make sure you educate yourself about suboxone. There are many good threads here on the forum and elsewhere. I am concerned if you have reasons that you were on that much oxy... that 2mg of sub will potentially be a negative experience.

PLEASE understand, I am on suboxone and am very happy. But, it has a very LONG half life, and also displaces regular full opiates (like your oxy's) for days. If you are like me, no chronic pain, then taking 2mg, or 8mg, or 12 mg - it's the right thing to do. If you will be left in crippling pain, you may want to consider working very closely with a doctor and suboxone. It is a very strong opiate receptor drug. It is fair at pain control - but will disable your ability to use other opiates. You can take them, you just don't get the effect for days.

My DISCLAIMER, I am not a doctor, and I am not in chronic pain. I want the best for you - and hope whatever path you choose provides the results you want. I like the saying - "I walked into to that with my eyes wide open."

Best --LD

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank-you for all your support, i waited 16.5 hours before i took my first sub, i took 2mg and you were right wasn't quiet enough. so i waited about an hour and half and took another 2mg, worked great except for the leg cranps were terrible, Went to bed and slept terrible woke up this morning at around 4:30 all anxious, irrible, sweating like a pig, yawning, felt like i was withdrawing, waited to see if it would pass for about an hour, took 2mg, and a sleep eze and went back to sleep for about 3 hours, i just woke up and feel little grogy but i think that is from the sleep eze, going to have a shower and see how i feel, if i need will take another 2mg, QUESTION: how long do i need to be on these to get rid of all the oxy's in the stystem, i want to avoid getting hooked on the sub, i want to just use it to detox of the oxy's, and then be free of anything that will slave me???????

As for the doctor, i told him, my meds were not lasting as i was going through more cause during the night i would wake up around 3am with the starts of wd's, and that i hated i had to have one in the morning to just wake up, and start the day, and he informed me that the ones i take at supper (4-40mg) are not lasting through till my morning dose (4-40mg) so he increased it for me to take 1 40mg in the middle of the night to avoid wd's....I have had several knee operstions, and there is no hope for the knee, but the sub seems to be enough to handle that pain, yes i still feel it, but now i don't over do it....

Again thank you everyone for the help ans support, if anyone can answer the question i would be appreciative,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hmmm.....that's a tough situation there. Disclaimer: I am just a junkie, not a doctor, but I have decades of opiate abuse experience.

Based on the dosage of Oxy's you mentioned, my estimate would be that you are looking at a minimum of 10 days to have the majority of oxycodone (the active opiate ingredient in Oxycontin) discharged from your body....it could take longer though, it varies widely by person. When I quit cold turkey I was abusing up to 150mg per day of Oxycontin and it took a little over two weeks for me to start feeling something akin to "normal" again.

However, please keep this in mind: If you continue taking the suboxone on a daily basis over that 10 day period, you WILL develop -at the very least- a mild dependence on the buprenorphine (active opiate ingredient in suboxone) which will require a slow taper in order to avoid more serious withdrawal symptoms. From what I have learned here about tapering, once you have yourself down to 2mg per day of suboxone, you'll want to reduce your dose by about 10% every two weeks, which may require the use of the "Liquid Taper Method" in order to do it correctly.

Now, with all of that "said" I strongly urge you to consult a physician if it is even remotely possible.