It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:33 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have just found out my son has been prescribed Subutex. He recently split up with his long term girlfriend and after being off Tramadol for nearly two years restarted taking it along with MST.
Three weeks after restarting taking it he realised he was addicted again and sought professional help.
He is coping on up to 10mg a day ( some days less) and is keen to do all he can to address his addiction. He had a really bad day last week and tried injecting the Subutex however this he said made n difference and he s not sure why he did it.
As a family we want to support him and he s happy to attend support sessions with us but I need to know what else we can do. Should I talk about it or wait for him to talk about t? I don't want it to become the only topic of conversation.
I love my son with all my heart and want to help him conquer this and would really value any advise from anyone with experience .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello lovingmother and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry about the circumstances that brought you here.

Suboxone/subutex is a prescription medication that is a TREATMENT for opiate addiction. Are you saying that he's using it to get high and is addicted to it? Or is he using it to try to stay off the tramadol again?

It's rare, but not totally unheard of for people to get sub illegally and use it to get high, then become addicted to it. It is a very strong opiate, btw. It's made for opiate addicts with high tolerances, so for opiate-naive people (or even people with "normal" opiate tolerance), it can be VERY strong and will get them high.

Considering I'm not quite sure what your situation is or if I have it right, I'll stop here and wait for you to let me know if I'm understanding you correctly.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:40 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you so much for your reply.
He is prescribed it by a dr to address with opioid dependence.his plan is to reduce and eventually come off it.
He is attending a clinic for addiction and is getting counselling and support.
I just want to be effective in my role in supporting him overcome this and what I can do to help and not hinder. His Dad and sister want to do the same to help him.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great, thanks for the clarification, because I completely misunderstood you. (But maybe I gave you some info about how sub works?)

I would absolutely open up and talk to him about his remission/recovery. Addiction to Tramadol is a serious thing! Kudos to him for seeking treatment. If he's ready to talk to you, he'll be open to the discussion. Let him know you love him no matter what! Trust me, we addicts have so much guilt and shame that it helps to hear that our family still loves us. I know that was how it was for me...it helped to know that in spite of myself my family still accepted me.

I would also suggest you support him in his sub treatment and listen to what he feels he needs in are terms of that medication therapy. So many people, unfortunately families included, can urge people off sub too early for their needs. Just keep that in mind.

He's very lucky to have a family that support and loves him as much as you do. That will truly help him in his remission/recovery. My best to all of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry, I skipped the whole injecting suboxone thing.

First I'd urge him/his doctor somehow to get him on suboxone instead of subutex (let's just leave it at that for now).

I'd also urge him to be honest with his doctor about what he did - that should take care of the above. What he did isn't unusual. Many of us in the beginning tried taking extra sub to try to get a high from it. I will say he did go a bit further than most by injecting it. But that can still be addressed. These are leftover active addiction behaviors. Have you/he considered addiction counseling? That might be just what he needs.

One more thing off the top of my head (there are a lot of things people can advise you on this whole situation)...young people have an extremely high risk of relapse once they go off suboxone. You might want to at least be prepared for the possibility of him being on sub long term, once he gets to taking it properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI lovingmother!!!!!

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your son is VERY lucky to have your support. For so many of "us" we dont stop our addiction cycle, untill everything is gone, including the family support we so desperately need.

Hatmaker was spot on with alot of what she's told you.
In my opinion, suboxone would probably be more effective for your son, too. Even though it is more expensive, clearly in this situation the benefits outwiegh the cost difference.

For me, I didnt want to 'speak first' about anything to do with my addiction or mistakes with my family because I just figured they didnt want to hear about it, or listen to me. When addiction has beat you down, you dont have the most confidence in the world, lets just say that.
So I think you opening up to him, to let him know how you feel and that you want to help, would be a good thing. Unless he tells you he's not ready to talk, then maybe waiting is a good idea? Everyone is completely different, so thats a hard question.

Was tramadol the only drug he was addicted to/experimented with??
I used to take it when I couldnt find anything else.

Good for you for wanting to fight this battle by his side!!!!
I really wish the best for both of you!!
Feel free to post any more questions you have, or if you just need to vent, thats what this forum is here for :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/