It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: what a bummer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:33 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone,
I don't know the moral to this story all I can say is I am pissed. I just had a colonoscopy, and stopped my subs 4 days before my procedure like my sub doctor advised me to do. Also advising the colon doctor. No problem, they found stuff wrong probably due to years of self inflicted opiate constipation or whatever. The outcome was a immediate stapled Hemmaroidectomy. This was just 1 week after the colonoscopy, so I stayed off the subs and felt shitty. My sub doctor told me he would help me with the transition from subs to opiates and then back to subs. Well the Doc that did my surgery prescribed me 5mg Hydrocodone, when I asked for something stronger she said she didn't know of anything. I found that pretty funny when I get stronger meds for a root canal. When I called my sub doctor he said he couldn't prescribe anything because of doctor etiquette but he thought the meds were a bit light also. I could not get anything stronger they probably thought I was medicine seeking/shopping. I have a couple questions. Please help If you have info I might need another surgery.

1.) Do you just stop the subs for 4 days, and not say a word about your past. So you get the proper meds you need?

2.) Or do you tell the truth and suffer in pain, because someone thinks your a junkie?

Bunny Wailer (Neville Livingston)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I haven't had the issue yet, but based on your post and other similar stories I won't tell the surgeon anything and handle the sub taper myself. It is difficult to understand why docs would act that way when they very well understand the need for pain meds, but so many of them are just poisoned against anyone with an opiate problem. I sure hope everything works out OK for you. Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This question is a common one and unfortunately I don't think it has any easy answers. I had a procedure in April and told my surgeon and the anesthesiologist both about my sub use. Then out of nowhere after the surgery my doc said, "Oh, you don't need pain meds". After I had spent two weeks tapering down on sub and went 3 days without it! WAS I EVER PISSED! The nurse ended up getting the script from the doctor for me, but like you it was a pathetically low dose. I ended up taking about triple the dosage to get any pain relief and to stay out of withdrawals. I went back on sub in about 3 days.

I've read alot of horror stories about other people who have told their doctors about their sub use. But I'm one of those people who is just more comfortable being honest. So the next time I need a procedure I'll again tell them all of my medications, including suboxone. But there are many people who will do the opposite and keep their sub use to themselves and I understand their reasons completely. It's a damn tough spot to be in. The stigma around addiction is still so strong.

One last thing, there's an NIH paper that I posted under the "Links" section a while back about treating acute pain in sub/methadone patients. You might want to read it if you ever need another procedure. Some people go so far as to give the paper to their doctor...It's a good one.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:48 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am SO sorry that you had to go through that! I also know that surgery is particularly painful. It's not fair. If you read through a couple of posts below this one you can read my recent horror story.

This is just my opinion but being off of of the Sub prior to any procedure is necessary, but also even though it is out of your system it still takes a large dose of opiate medication to treat the pain.

I had gotten on here before my surgery and was advised to look at the aforementioned NIH article. I printed off several copies of this and sent them along with a cover letter to my surgeon, his PA and the nurse manager on the floor where I would be admitted. Also I saw my sub doctor and he sent them a summary which stated that I would need stronger doses of pain medication afterwards.

I had Suboxone in my system at the time of the surgery and was in agony for the first 48 hours. Nothing that they gave me did anything. However, I will say that the doctors and nurses understood the situation and did everything that they could possibly do short of ODing me, to treat my pain.

I think that the best idea would be to print this article and give it to your MD along with a cover letter explaining your fears. Information is the best way to counteract ignorance, and this is a professional article which will appeal to the intellectual mind of the health care professional.

Again, I'm so sorry that you went through all of that! Trust me, I can relate!

~Rossma