It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey guys. This is a thread of honesty. Now you've given up the drugs, have you found the lil self-indulgant addictive circuit in your brain trying to grab at other things to fill its void? Cross addiction is a well studied phenomenon. It appears once a person becomes addicted to something, then goes on to give-up their addiction, they often end up switching to something (or someone) else. One of my old sponsors used the analogy of the gopher machine you see in the amusement parks. That one where the gopher pops up, and you hit it with a mallet, it falls and another one pops up.

Some might claim that buprenorphine feeds their addictive circuit to the point where they no longer have urges for other addictive pursuits. If that's the case then good for you. I'm jealous.

Anyway, my main drugs of addiction were heroin, cocaine, occasionally meth, and smoking. Heroin and smoking were the big ones. And to this day I still get urges to smoke cigarettes. However now I'm on buprenorphine, I've basically "rolled over" all my addictions into Suboxone.

I don't know if I'd class this as an addiction, but I struggle when I'm not in a relationship. I'm just not comfortable in my own skin. People say that a relationship should be a "want" and not a "need", but in my case it's almost a need. I'm single at the moment and am attempting to stay out of the dating game, but at night I find myself messaging single women on facebook and flirting. I seem to go from relationship to relationship without really working on myself. Maybe I need help with this stuff.

Here's a definite addiction. I give up drugs I turn into a sex fiend. I will admit it's not at the stage where it's really damaging my life at all, but if I don't get it, I go a bit crazy. Some people claim this is normal, adult behaviour. But I know for a fact that my addictive circuit is involved, because the obsessive pursuit of physical intimacy feels very similar to trying to score cocaine or heroin. My old sponsor suggested I start going to SLAA meetings, because (ironically) he did too, as did a number of my friends in NA.

The other definite addiction I have is the INTERNET. This is serious. I can't put down my phone. I haven't read a novel in nearly a year because I'm always sitting on facebook, reading blogs, reading the newpaper, chatting, on SuboxForum. It's a fucking addiction and a half. Not just that, my internet / technology addiction preceded my drug use by many years. It started when I was a kid. As a kid I was building my own computer, and spent many weekends sitting on bulletin boards and chatting.

Another one I'm starting to notice, since experiencing a breakup the other week, is I'm starting to eat food to soothe myself. I'm not fat by any means, and I swim heaps to burn lots of energy, but I'm still cravings carbs because, at least while I'm eating and shortly after, I feel slightly more contented.

Anyway, I can confide in your guys because you're on the other side of the world. Maybe you can do the same?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi TJ
Since being stable on subs, I have farewelled 25+yrs of smoking ciggies. Stopped pot, alcohol,ecstasy and benzo's. I have 4+ yrs clean from heroin.
Occasionally I crave having a crazy weekend on amphetamines but I don't have any connections so there is no chance that would eventuate.
My relationship with food is probably a little obsessive. I eat comfort food most of the time but don't put on weight easily.
For myself, subs has absolutely helped to curb other addictions.
I am interested to learn what others think!

Last edited by Katipo on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Teejay,

My name is Queenie. I am 73 yrs. old and I am a double amputee. Both legs. Of course, by saying that, you can imagine how I got addicted to painkilling narcotics. Demerol, Morphine, Oxycodone, Fentanyl, all of them. I had 8 surgeries in 4 yrs.

Anyway, in response to your question, I have an on & off problem with Ambien. I am a total insomniac. I just can't sleep. My Dr. said, "I have to give you Ambien, nothing else works" Well, it does make me sleep but I think I get addicted to the drowsy feeling it gives before I fall asleep. I take one very night and always in the back of my head is "that feeling" I get before I go to sleep.

Well, that's the problem I have. I guess at my age, I may as well go ahead and take the Ambien. Oh, I have been on Suboxone for 3 and a half years. Take care,

Queenie

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:23 am 

Diet Coke. For reals.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Since being on Subs I can be rather obsessive when it comes to DIY projects/crafts. It's all or nothing. It was coloring and now I have moved on to diamond painting. Gotta keep my hands and brain busy or I think too much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am a firm believer, if you give up one addiction you usually replace it with something else.

I was able to quit alcohol and cigarettes when i got on subs.

However I am now addicted to Working out. I over exercise. I guess this is my way of decompressing and relieving stress. But I "must" work out every day at 5:30am . Seriously Sometimes again in the afternoon with yoga.

So , needless to say, I have replaced my drug addiction for exercise addiction.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:28 am 

I feel like I do way too much shopping, that's the first thought that comes to my mind. I don't necessarily think it's an addiction as much though because I can totally see when my money is low and stop when I need to. So if I am addicted then it's controllable.....But it gives me a rush like crazy and I love purses and shoes lol. I can sit all day long and look through eBay if my kids are leaving me alone. I've wondered if I'm replacing one thing for another. I wish I would have found a cheaper thing to replace it with though :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll admit to it. ON Suboxone it's sweets. OFF Suboxone it's sex. It's not causing any unmanageability in my life right now, so I'm not concerned about it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
Diet Coke. For reals.

Amy

DIET COKE?!?! Have you tried Coke Zero??? mmmmmm :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:29 am 

Nothing but Diet Coke with a little bit of real lemon juice will do! :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:00 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I know this is an older thread but what the heck..
Mine are cherry pepsi (not cherry coke, ugh..) and Snickers bars. I love em. Just finished one of each lol.
Oh and fishing. I am a die hard fresh and saltwarer fisherman. Shad season has just about wrapped up here on the Tar River in NC and except for Mondays-Weds when I work 12 hrs a day, I have spent part of everyday (some days more than others) standing on the river bank rain or shine and catching them right and left since early March. But now bass season is about to crank up so I'll be gearing up for that over the next couple of weeks.
I would also classify my non-school reading as an addiction as I usually read 2 books a day in the winter time. It kinda sucks when my three favorite authors only put out 1-3 books/year and I read them in a day lol.
Anyway hope everyone is having a great Sunday!
-Duke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:21 pm 

Great topic Teejay! I'm with Roxanne about always feeling like I have to keep busy. Borderline OCD. I took Effexor for a few years and it did help for awhile but the side effects weren't worth the calming effect it gave me.

Sweets with me after dinner. Ever since I quit drinking I've had that addiction. That's why when I go on vacation I lose a few pounds because I don't have my usual ice cream and Skor bars with me and I'm too embarrassed to ask for some.

The good part about being OCD is our house is very clean. Plus now I do handyman work for the neighbors and that keeps me very busy. At least it pays.

And the one I'm most embarrassed about is I still take Xanax once per evening. Why, I can't say. All it does is make me sleepy but to me it's like having that one cocktail at 5 PM. I drink one Becks Non Alcoholic beer with my Xanax every night unless I have to drive or something then I delay it. (shame, shame, shame, I know, I know...)

rule

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:48 pm 

Hello all, great topic! FOOD! Has always been my number one addiction! Then, I had gastric bypass surgery and could not eat as much. I would have 4 oz of wine and be drunk for 20 minutes. After that, no matter how much alcohol I drank, I would not even get a buzz! So, that led me to pills! I remember in the begining I was having dental work done and realized how much I loved the feeling of a half of vicodin! It was like two glasses of wine without the calories. If only it could have stayed that way! It actually did for many years. I would order pills...just 5 or 6 for the weekend. It would be about 80 bucks and it was great! Within my budget and just enough to feel good! I never wanted to be sloppy or out of control! That went on for a few years until one weekend turned into a week day and I was doing them everyday and needing more and more. I got my own script for trams due to my osteoarthritis and they were easy to get. By then, I was so out of control 40 to 50 tabs per day. I knew I had a real problem when I ran out and scheduled a dentist appointment for a fake toothache or would look through other peoples medicine cabinets to see what they had. I would then say I had a pain and would get them to share with me! Wow! I went off topic! Anyway....that is my life story! Thanks for listening!