It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Are suboxone doctors generally regular doctors who also do suboxone? Or strictly a suboxone doctor? I looked at the list of doctors around this area and 3 of them are the doctors from methadone clinic (who I realize also do suboxone).

Basically I am wondering if when you go to their office if it feels like going to the regular doc when you have a cold or more like going to jail...woops....I mean the methadone clinic where you stand in huge lines etc etc, or somewhere inbetween? Are the only patients in the place suboxone patients?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can only speak for the one I see, Ive only seen one 'suboxone' doctor.

Its a regular doctors office, with people there for yearly exams, kids for sports physicals, elderly people ETC.

theres 3-4 doctors at this one office, but only the doctor I see writes for suboxone. he is a pain management doctor as well.

Nobody even knows what your there for.

He was pretty strict at first, but I can understand why now, after seeing him for over a year. And now, I really get along with him well.

The clinic I go to , is "Providence"
I dont know if they have it where you are, it may only be on the west coast, i really have no clue. but they have financial assistance. when I first started going, I only had to pay $10 per appt. Now I pay $30 but Im making about double the income I was when I first went.
AND,
I had NO money at all, at my first appt. not ONE DOLLAR. and they still saw me.

Ive always told myself, if I win the lotto, Im donating a SHITload of cash to Providence :) :) :)

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wow wouldn't that just be the golden ticket. And no just cause I asked what its like doesn't mean im going to go ;P haha

I would love to hear what other peoples places are like if anyone would like to tell me.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

amber4.14.11 wrote:
... Its a regular doctors office, with people there for yearly exams, kids for sports physicals, elderly people ETC.

theres 3-4 doctors at this one office ...

Nobody even knows what your there for. ...

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:56 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Do they tell you what is required of you for your first visit when you call?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Is there a reason you aren't more inclined to use Suboxone?

I mean, when I was searching and trying to get into treatment, it didn't matter to me if they needed my left kidney upon the first visit, I wanted help and wanted it no matter what...

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:41 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Because I did methadone treatment. I would not wish it on my worst enemy. It feels like your doing time after committing some addiction crime haha. So it makes me VERY afraid of another experience. But I think I am finally coming to the reality that it is either months of detox from methadone, or prolong that and use suboxone, and then do the months of feeling crappy. Or get in maintenance. Ughhhh. I was really hoping that very short term use of subs would help me get off methadone but it seems like that is a pipe dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've had two suboxone doctors. My first one had been doing sub treatment for years and is also a family practice doctor. My current doctor is the same, in fact he became our family doctor. So for me it's no big deal seeing my sub doctor. I just sit in the waiting room just like all others do - kids with sniffling noses, elderly people...you get the point. So, no, mine is not like seeing a methadone clinic.

That's the beauty of suboxone. It was MEANT to be in the privacy of a doctor's office.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Patient Requirements
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:19 pm 

sooverthis wrote:
Do they tell you what is required of you for your first visit when you call?

The first Suboxone Dr. I went to had me fill out lots of paperwork which I can't even begin to remember because I was in withdrawals and you know how well the mind works during that. I do remember that I agreed to regular UA's, to use only one pharmacy, to not use any benzo's, and to adhere to all the doctors advice, which is determining how much I will take and how to taper.

I believe all the paperwork came from the training class they took. That doctor did everything by the book.

A year later we moved and my new one only said that no one should stay on Suboxone for longer than six months. That was fine with me as I was in the middle of tapering down to jump.

Both of them were/are D.O.s and ran a family practice. No specialty.

But no, I did not get that information when I called, it was when I first went in.

Hope that answered your question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think I remember signing a form to only use one pharmacy too. Do you know why they do this? I know all about Dr. shopping, but you can't take a copy of an Rx to get it filled by different pharmacies, so why would it matter if you wanted to switch pharmacies in the middle of your treatment?

I'm just wondering because I am considering switching. The pharmacy I go to keeps giving me films that are all broken into pieces, so I thought I might try another pharmacy to see if they might have some newer subs from a different lot#, hoping they wouldn't be broken. Also, there always seems to be some kind of a hassle every damn month. They always get confused about something, even though it is the same Rx, from the same doctor, with the same quantity every time. Plus, the customer service there is not the greatest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:13 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

my experience with my sub doc. is he is an innovative medicine doctor treats weight, hormone, testosterone, and addiction. quite informative on what to expect on first visit over phone. and yes lots of paperwork about prior use, rules of treatment, and also the one pharmacy. i understood it as if i would fill all scripts whether from him or a private physician at same pharmacy. but in my three month experience filling sub.. that one pharmacy has not had enough to fill script and had sent me elsewhere to fill, once and also had me come back the week after to finish the fill. at the pharmacy they sent me to was the best films i had gotten not crumbly and stronger smell.? i am going to assume that as long as u let your doctor know that u want to switch and to where there should not b a problem but if you do have a problem let us know that would b interesting to know their reasons.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was not asked to fill out any special paperwork or make any promises regarding the use of one pharmacy. In fact, my doc agreed to my request to keep my addiction and sub use and his notes in a separate part of my medical file. I did not have to write anything down about my addiction.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

SometimeIdiot wrote:
I was not asked to fill out any special paperwork or make any promises regarding the use of one pharmacy. In fact, my doc agreed to my request to keep my addiction and sub use and his notes in a separate part of my medical file. I did not have to write anything down about my addiction.

Did you ask your regular doctor or did you go to a doctor you found on some place like suboxonedirectory.com ?

Post subject: Reply to sooverthis
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

^^^

sooverthis,

I forget where I found my doctor, it could have been on the sub directory that you mention or the naabt website. I do not have a regular doctor, and I'm hoping that he may become my regular doctor. His treatment of opiate addiction is only a small part of his general medical practice.

A couple of thoughts which may be helpful to you: first, I spent quite a bit of time reading about induction on this website and reading about philosophies and purposes of the use of sub as a tool to be used in connection with opiate addiction treatment. In other words, I tried to educate myself as much as I could before proceeding with induction. Second, I called several doctors and insisted on speaking with them personally to learn their philosophies on the use of suboxone for an opiate addict. My attitude was (although in more diplomatic wording!), "if you're not prepared to have a focused, 5-minute telephone conversation with me at no charge, I have no use for you." As you will read on this website, there are different approaches to the use of sub in the treatment of opiate addiction. In that respect, I cannot recommend highly enough that you read scruffy’s “A B C” thread here: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6397. In this thread, scruffy attempts to begin an important dialogue on the different approaches to the use of sub in connection with treatment for an addict. I am convinced that your doctor’s underlying (and perhaps even unspoken) philosophies about the use of sub in opiate addiction treatment will have an effect on your treatment plan; thus I believe it is critical for a prospective patient to suss out exactly what his/her doctor's sub-use philosophies are, and that you develop a plan that works for you and that you find a doctor who will help to facilitate, in a realistic and feasible manner, your express treatment goals.

You may also want to read the thread that I started about my own induction, here: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6349. Not that my story of addiction is anything special or that any comments I’ve made are particularly insightful; in fact, given how new I am to the whole process of sub use and addiction treatment, I would suggest that you carefully consider what the “veterans” say on this website. Based on what I've read on this website and the discussions I've had with fellow addicts, it appears that the approach I've taken to the use of sub is somewhat (or very?) unusual. The point to emphasize here is that my approach is not necessarily the "right" approach for anyone but me; the decision about how I would use sub as a tool in my addiction treatment was made only after very careful and brutally honest consultation with both my doctor and my psychotherapist, taking into account my psychology and other factors in my life. In other words, this method of treatment is unique to me, as yours should be unique to you.

I hope the foregoing is helpful to you, and wish you the very best in your new journey. If you are as lucky as I have been, you will find the support here to be a real blessing.

SI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You said that finding a sub doc who could get you off methadone with a short detox using Suboxone would (or might be) a "pipe-dream". It might, but while looking at YouTube I came across a Dr. who does take M and H patients and uses a 28 day program. He is located in Fla. You can judge for yourself by watching his 4 min tape on YouTub. Just search YouTube for Dr. Scanlan in Florida. That is the only way I know to direct you to the video. He does seem to represent what you were talking about in your post.

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

FYI - we've discussed Dr. Scanlan before here on the forum. If anyone is interested, do a search.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks sometimeidiot (i feel bad for calling you that haha). I am reading through your links.

And thanks hatmaker, I am searching about Dr. Scanlan now.

Post subject: sub dr
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:58 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Mine was a general practitioner who also prescribes suboxone. Generally they are in it for the money since it is a strictly cash basis for office visits. One that costs a pretty penny too. Not to discourage you from them though because it can help a lot with getting clean. And it was worth it to me because that money would of been gone a lot faster on opiates. Just giving you the blunt truth on the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:23 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

^^^ Not all GP's treat addicts for the money. My doc is a GP and charges $95 for a basic office visit and checkup. Seems reasonable to me. My first visit cost a bit more because he spent more time discussing my addiction, health, etc., but it was still fairly cheap. I walked out with a script for 7-day supply of 8mg strips (21 strips), which I've ended up stretching out to last me for about 15 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:28 am 

My sub doctor is great! He has a busy family medical practice and either he or his P.A. is on call 24/7. He accepts insurance and he has done years of addiction medicine. When you walk into his office it feels very homey and friendly. There are children' toys and books, and people of all ages. The atmosphere is that of a regular family practice. My doctor and I have had discussions about several things, including the question of subutex and why he won't prescribe it. (He actually will if he's had a long enough relationship with the patient, they've never done IV drug use, and the urine tests always come back clean.) He is concerned that not enough doctors are available for the patients who need them. He might be the exception, but I don't believe he is sub provider for the money.

I hope you find a great provider!

Amy