It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy - that's awesome! It sounds like you have a good situation going there. That is my hope...that after being with my sub doctor for a little while longer, hopefully he will prescribe me generic Subutex since I don't have insurance and I have never used IV drugs.

I tend to believe that my doctor is in it for the money. I feel rushed when I am there, I never get drug tested, my appt's only last a minute or two, and he only takes cash...LOL...ya think??

Post subject: My Sub doctor
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have had nothing but a great experience with my Sub doc. I live waaay out in the country, about a half-hour to any "real" city, so you can imagine my surprise when the Suboxone doc search came back with our county's general practitioner!! It's a regular practice with about five other doctors. This guy is definately not prescribing Sub for the money....he has real compassion for drug-dependent people. I made an appointment and I just told the secretary on the phone I was interested in Suboxone treatment.

One thing that struck me when I first met Dr. T is that I felt no judgement as I described my long struggle with opioid addiction. I mean, there are not a lot of doctors that I would be comfortable telling about going to jail for faking prescriptions!! He did a physical exam, asked if I was on any other meds, and went ahead and gave me a script. He wrote it for 90 Sub 8 mg tablets and told me to start with one. If that wasn't enough, go to two. Three per day maximum. He takes insurance, and Medicare/Medicaid (very awesome!) so each visit with him costs me just $1! I didn't have to sign any special paperwork, and he doesn't do urine screens. He gives me a prescription for sixty 8 mg strips, with two refills. One time I told him I was only taking one per day if he wanted to lower my prescription to thirty strips per month, but he said he would keep writing it for sixty as I might need the extra someday (!). A hell of a nice guy. So, all in all I only have to see him 4 times a year, which costs me a grand total of $4. And he has told me he will never force me to taper as long as the Suboxone continues to help me.

In the waiting room I am just another anonymous patient who could be there for any medical reason. No one looks at you funny, and the staff is very friendly. I think they are all pretty educated/intelligent about opioid addiction. I just love that I don't feel like there's a nasty stigma attached to getting Sub treatment. I wish Methadone was allowed to be given in an office setting......that is one of the major advantages of Sub treatment. If I had to go to a clinic in a bad part of town every morning for a daily dose, I probably wouldn't be on it. That's why I never did methadone.

As for doctors making money off of Sub treatment, I think some of it is just talk. True, some Sub docs charge heinous fees for visits and drug testing, but none of them actually receive kickbacks from the drug companies. I would say that if a doctor is just in it for profit, you can tell pretty much right away. It is worth it to shop around, call around, and find the best deal. Unfortunately we live in a country where healthcare if for-profit, so it's not considered unethical for family doctors to charge hundreds of dollars just for a Suboxone visit while other patients sitting in the same waiting area are paying much less for visits for practically any other health reason. Personally, I think the government should subsidize Suboxone treatment for any needy addict, since they are perfectly willing to spend billions every year on the nonsense "War on Drugs" which only makes the addiction problem in this country much worse. How about taking 10% of the DEA's budget and spending it on drug treatment (including but not limited to buprenorphine)? But I forget, it makes more sense to the Feds to have us sitting in jail learning to be worse criminals rather than trying to help us treat the addiction.

Bunny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I love my Dr as well. I think i have the most laid back and relaxed Dr. there is. His day job is a psychiatrist for teens and young adults. (randomly chose this guy on suboxone.com) I would prefer to not really talk about my feelings and all that stuff...(If you like that sort of thing and it helps you i'm not knocking you it just does absolutely nothing for me) So my Dr let's me do it completely the way i want to do it and gives me full range on my dosing, i am in his office maybe 5 minutes a month, no counseling, no drug tests, no paperwork, no waiting, direct cellphone number. It's crazy the freedom he gave to someone who was addicted to pain pills for 6 years but it worked whatever he did. I don't know if he could just feel me out on day one (which was the only conversation we've had that exceeded 15 minutes) or what but i have been on sub for over a year now and i haven't even though of a pill since. I've tapered myself from 16mg to 4mg without having to go back up once. So i think for me i found the perfect doctor but maybe not best for all.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My Sub doc is pretty much in it for just the money is the feeling I get. He treats the patients like cattle. The place I am going to processes patients faster than a McDonald's drive thru.

When I went today for my first follow up it was take a drug test, then nurse checked my weight and pulse. Wait 10 minutes while 2 people in front of me are in and out with the doc. Then it is my turn, I sit down, he asks me if I have had any side effects or have had cravings, then wrote a script for another week of Subs then said see you in a week same time.....

I am gonna be getting upset if he continues to expect me to come by each week and to pay weekly for my sub script. At $30 and $30 a pop this is gonna get a little silly. Going to suggestion if he wants me to come in once a week to at least write a script for a month since I pay $30 either way.