It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I myself was just wondering what suboxdoc opinion is on lyrica because i dont believe i have ever heard suboxdoc address lyrica. he always talks about anti-depressants and uhhh i just think those things are awful. i hate them, they made me feel worse than i did and gave me this weird nasty feeling in my stomach so my doctor put me on lyrica and oh my god i think it is amazing. i never thought that anything could work as good or even better than xanax. lyrica takes away my anxiety completly all day and it makes you very happy and all in all puts you in a good mood. has anyone had any experience with this drug for anxiety? My dad takes it for nerve pain and i know it works amazing for that too, it seems like this drug had so many good uses. i would like to get Dr. junig opinion on this issue because i have looked all over and i cant find this issue anywhere so also i would like anyone else's opinion too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi JiggityJordan,

I've personally never heard of Lyrica being used for anxiety - but I'm just a lay-person, not a doctor.

My understanding is it's used for neuropathic pain as well as for fibromyalgia. I've also heard Lyrica has the potential for abuse. The people I've know who have taken it (myself included for my fibro) have all said it knocked them on their ass. For these reasons I'm surprised your doctor prescribed it for you.

That said, keep in mind I'm only one person. I'd be very interested to hear what the doc has to say on this subject.

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Lyrica !!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:33 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hatmaker is dead on, Its usually given out by pain management people, I was on it for spine issues before I had spine surgery, ( which led to my love of pain pills ) I can bet you pain Dr's. would NOT give this out for anxiety. It does screw around with the central nervous system, I'm sure it works or helps with anxiety, the WRONG way though, Good Luck, Mike

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

wut is the best way to get the suboxdoc's medical opinion on this matter because i obviously know he cant reply to every post but i was just really hoping he would reply to this one becuase i havent found him speak of this anywhere on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've also only heard of Lyrica being used for fibro. That being said I believe it has some of the effects typically associated with benzos but it works in a much more indirect way. Basically as far as I understand it, Lyrica takes time to work like weeks so I'm not really sure there's a potential for abuse (I couldn't ever become addicted to something that doesn't start working immediately or at the most an hour or so). It just sounds like an extremely poor drug to abuse and if I'm not mistaken I remember another forum member talking about using the medication for fibro maybe they can chip in on the thread if they happen to read this.

As far as antidepressants in general or more specifically SSRIs usually make depression/anxiety symptoms worse before they start working but in my experience it's worth the wait. I've even started with very low doses and then worked my way up over a couple weeks to avoid side effects. I've been on two different SSRIs in my life and both made a MAJOR difference. It's not like they make you feel "good" or buzzed or anything like that they just seem to prevent the heart racing/cold sweats/social phobia/panic attacks from happening. It's more like antidepressants put a limit on how upset you can get. I was totally blown away when I actually stuck with taking the medication even though it took sometime for side effects to go away and I too thought only benzos would ever help me but I listened to my Dr. and he was very right! Imagine that..... for me at least the SSRIs I've taken help my anxiety much better than benzos and I still feel mentally "there" and no memory loss that benzos used to cause when I was taking them.

I guess the best way I can describe the feeling would be to imagine coming down from an opiate high and there's a little while when your no longer euphoric but your not in withdrawal either. I guess it just makes me feel "normal" in that my behavior matches that of others more closely. There's still times when I can get anxious but it's not crippling. I've even been able to do some class presentations without having to worry about having a heart attack or missing several nights of sleep before-hand.

So in the future you might consider giving SSRIs another chance for your anxiety but maybe do like I did and take half the reccomended starting dose and work your way up very slowly. It would take time but there's no worrying about "abuse" or addiction and it's more than worth the wait, or at least it has been for me. Hell I can even hang out with friends/significant other and actually enjoy myself. Anywho I'm rambling at this point hopefully someone more familiar with Lyrica will come across this and can potentially help you more than someone as ignorant of medicine as myself. My pharmacological knowledge is essentially limited to opiates for some reason.....lol wonder why

Sorry for the large post, this is what happens when I have a class cancelled lol :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I said Lyrica has the potential for abuse, it's because it has an immediate effect on most people. My experience is it makes people somewhat "loopy", for lack of a better word. Also, the makers of Lyrica have said it may not be suitable for persons with sub abuse issues. When it comes to treating fibro or neuropathies, that's the effect that takes a while.

Sorry I wasn't specific enough...And keep in mind this is based on personal experience only.

I look forward to reading the doc's take on this.

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I take Lyrica and Neurontin for neuropathic pain. My doctor that prescribes the Suboxone is the same one who prescribes the Lyrica. He did tell me there is some people that abuse it but thought the benefits it could give me outweighed the risk of abuse. I've been on it for over a year and for me it didn't give me a euphoric feeling but it does help my nerve pain. I've never abused it or had the temptation to. I know each of us addicts are different but that is my expirience. Neurontin is also for nerve pain but have never heard it has a potential for abuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well my question is whether or not lyrica or suboxone would be worse for nerve pain in terms of danger potential. I realize suboxone isn't really dangerous. For me the neurontin side effects are too great. Does the loopiness from lyrica go away? Hell...if it makes me feel as happy as you I'd love to try taking it. I find that as soon as neurontin stops making me feel so stupid it also stops working and I have to up the dose. annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I found that a combination of Lyrica and Neurontin works best. Those bad side affects (loopy feeling) does go away after a few days. Lyrica has similar side affects. You might want to talk to your doc about trying Lyrica or a combination if the Neurontin alone isn't helping.