It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I didn't read the post but did yours and what u said hit home. I used to wrap my pills and carry them in my sports bra. When I lost weight they started falling out some times,mhappened in the bathroom frequently and today I went pee and as I stood something hit the ground sounding oddly like a pill. I looked down quickly and realized it was a pop corn kernel that I guess had landed in my sports bra. The memories flooded back and I wonder how long it will be before I don't associate the two things. I also used to keep my pills in my closet where I keep a supply of water bottles because I drink a lot of water and hate going downstairs when I am up for the night. Now when I walk in the closet I have a feeling of guilt and hurry on out even though only I knew they used to be hidden there (well now all of u know) Dont know if that is what u meant but it just feels good being able to tell someone my feeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Often times, just talking about our addiction and the behaviors associated with it will make us feel better. As addicts, we tend to isolate ourselves and go to great lengths to hide our addictive qualities, so getting that crap out in the open is good for us.

As time passes, the associations you made with drugs and your closet will ease. As for a piece of popcorn coming out of your sports bra, I'm going to decline to comment any further on that. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HAHA Thats funny all the rituals we have surrounding our addiction. Mine is I used to keep my pills in the side zipper of my purse and they kept falling out on the bathroom floor. So later on I would be in the bathroom and I would find a pill on the floor maybe a month later and I would get so excited for finding it. Like gold or something.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:48 pm 

Romeo wrote:

As time passes, the associations you made with drugs and your closet will ease. As for a piece of popcorn coming out of your sports bra, I'm going to decline to comment any further on that. :lol:

Wow, Romes! That's showing real restraint! ;)

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:43 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hahaha a yellow peanut M&M fell out of my bra the other day!

I have definitely replaced opiates with chocolate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Must.....resist......temptation.....to......comment. ARGH!!!

Post subject: Re: What is Addiction?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:49 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I wonder why people make "addiction" such a big issue. It can be overcome guys, anybody can break any habit. All one needs is the willpower! I have seen chain-smokers, drug addicted people, and worst cases than that. They all have got normal after rehab and other treatments.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:18 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I would like to know just what kind of Willpower you are talking about.
Tell us how you did it. .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is the continuous argument.
I believe addiction is a disease that willpower alone can not help. Addiction is a brain disorder. Sheer willpower is not enough to keep away the drugs. at least I can agree to that for me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:51 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ditto Raudy...i just love it when people xome on here with all
there Willpower talk..i know what Addiction is and Willpower
has nothing to do with..not for this old addict anyway.Willpower
will not save us...razor 55...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Read page 30 in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. Every time i read it, its like they wrote it about me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Addiction the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity. Addiction doesn't mean it is always about substance, drugs, and any other bad things. It just means that you love what you're doing and can't stop doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't like how the word "addiction" gets thrown around so much. According to the FDA oxygen is a drug. Does that mean everyone on the planet is an oxygen addict?

These are just human terms.... often times used to manipulate and control.

"You're just a drug addict"

It's the same as calling someone crazy or schizophrenic. It's a term used to destroy someone's credibility/reputation or to deem someone dismissive.

Addiction is something that is subjective. You can not distinctly define addiction. Because we in our physical bodies are not immortal... Addiction is looked at as an absolute. It's almost like contradiction.

Are humans addicted to earning money? Are we money addicts. Are you addicted to artificial social constructs?

We don't need paper money to survive...and yet in this current world system we inhabit, we can't go very long with out it. People's lives literally revolve around it from the time their born to the time they die.

"You never get better"

Not true at all.

In fact in this very moment I'm not thinking about opiates at all... I'm thinking about my personal view of what addiction is.

Are we addicted to social interaction? After a certain age... we don't need it to survive. We do it because it makes us feel good.

How many of you have went into depression from lack of social interaction? I'm assuming a lot. Almost as if you were in withdrawal...correct?

Am I addicted to thought?

Am I addicted to using my imagination?

Am I addicted to the internet?

Am I addicted to sex?

I don't believe in addiction... not the way society defines it. Or shall I say the way "Law Enforcement" and "Government funded Institutions" defines it.

Just my two cents.

I'm not an addict... I am consciousness. I am infinity.

How can one be addicted to reality, When one is reality?

Sunshine is far away, clouds linger on
Everything I possessed - Now they are gone

Last edited by MorningSun on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:05 pm 

Oooooo! Existentialism! I like it!

When I think about what addiction is I rely on evidence based scientific study. That's because my gut feeling is that addiction has little to do with morality and willpower and much to do about brain chemistry in an evolutionary context.

The fact that I would rather rely on concrete evidence, however, contradicts my ability to have faith in God. It's kind of weird really.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think about addiction in very simple terms. When I can't stop doing something despite it's negative consequences, I see that as addiction (for me personally.) But the word and meaning itself is very general and broad.

We all need a variety of things to survive and get by day to day, and yes, oxygen is a must.. but (besides oxygen) how many of these other things would drive us to do what we've (or some of us have) done for drugs? Do I like social interaction? Yes. Do I use the internet daily? Yes. But, I personally wouldn't be willing to lie, steal, cheat, or offer sexual favors, etc.. if I was running low on friendly companionship or my wi-fi died. To me, there lies the difference. :D

ETA: Amy, I'm not entirely sure there was ever a time in my life when I believed in god, but if I ever did, it was when I was kid. Still, not even sure of that. And for the same reason you mention, contradiction.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tinydancer wrote:
I think about addiction in very simple terms. When I can't stop doing something despite it's negative consequences, I see that as addiction (for me personally.) But the word and meaning itself is very general and broad.

We all need a variety of things to survive and get by day to day, and yes, oxygen is a must.. but (besides oxygen) how many of these other things would drive us to do what we've (or some of us have) done for drugs? Do I like social interaction? Yes. Do I use the internet daily? Yes. But, I personally wouldn't be willing to lie, steal, cheat, or offer sexual favors, etc.. if I was running low on friendly companionship or my wi-fi died. To me, there lies the difference. :D

ETA: Amy, I'm not entirely sure there was ever a time in my life when I believed in god, but if I ever did, it was when I was kid. Still, not even sure of that. And for the same reason you mention, contradiction.

So would it be fair to say that you're addicted to artificial social constructs?

You can't stop feeding this first world corrupt economical system you inhabit....despite it's negative consequences on poor third world countries.

So are you addicted to being an first world citizen?

Children are starving because of unequal distribution of resources... Which You and I are indirectly responsible for.

Would you be willing to give half of what you earn to someone who has less?

Or would your current first world needs/addictions not let you?

Hmmmmm.

People lie, cheat, steal and offer sexual favors for ...just money..for fun... and for the hell of it....You don't have to be a drug addict to steal or to lie or to cheat... Some people are born evil...Some people love to lie and take advantage of others. Regardless of habitual drug use.

Some people are addicted to stealing.

Some people are addicted to money/ paper dollar bills.

Or are they addicted to the life experience that the dollars bills can buy them?

Are you addicted to life experience? Nothing says you have to be here. There are no laws or shall I say there is no supernatural force keeping you here....

Are you addicted to being human?

You should get help with that.

"That humanity junk is hard stuff to quit"

LOL

Humor

Uh oh... another addiction....

Disregard my esoteric babble.

You believe what ever you want to believe.

Sunshine is far away, clouds linger on
Everything I possessed - Now they are gone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

morning sun, can you elaborate on this "babble" you are speaking, i read your posts and none of it made sense to me, maybe im addicted to being human....or maybe i can just admit to the reality of things and who i am and not pretend that I am some sort of super intellectual universal star traveling hippy dippy the world is a big conspiracy against me known-all deity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:21 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

the word addict is Someone who is obsessed with something. They would do almost anything to get at whatever they are addicted to. It can be very unhealthy and become extremely serious.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

For me, I think if I had to put a definition on addiction, it would be a balance somewhere between MorningSun' interpretive identification of it and Amy' clinical/scientific view of it.

I see how someone could argue that there is no debate here and that addiction has a true definition but I also think, as individuals, we have the right to view anything we want in a subjective manner.

Certain aspects of scientific based understandings about addiction make complete sense to me but I also think that addiction, like most things, is more than just a scientific definition and is a personal thing to me that I often debate the nature of. The only important thing for me is that I never lay claim to the "right" answer to this question, nor any other question for that matter, aside from a few morally founded opinions I may have on certain subjects.

This is a really interesting topic and I appreciate reading through the different views on it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm reading this really interesting book called The Biology of Desire by Marc Lewis. He basically argues that addiction is not a disease, and uses neuroplasticity as his main argument. He's a neuroscientist and backs up his arguments with the latest insights into the brain. Whether or not you agree with his premise it's still a very interesting read.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Biology-Desire-Addiction-Disease/dp/1610394372

He's also in recovery himself, having spent his late teens and 20's addicted to heroin and morphine. His other book Memoirs of an Addicted Brain, he explores his neurobiology throughout the chronology of his own addiction.

Do I believe addiction is a disease? I'm unsure if disease is the right word, but it's definitely a mental disorder that's chronic and recurring for many people. Unlike other mental disorders though I do believe you can recover to a state where you no longer need treatment, be it with medication or support groups. It does however require vigilance in the long term to prevent relapse.

I found it really interesting when he explored how it's in the interests of the multi-billion dollar rehab industry to perpetuate this idea that addiction is a disease, when the evidence shows that most people recover from addiction without any treatment whatsoever.

He also seems quite indifferent to methadone and Suboxone, neither arguing for or against their use.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next