It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I worked all day today (well, Saturday) and all was fine and good. My partner and I have been running around like mad for the past few days getting ready for our daughter's 10th birthday tomorrow, so I was a little tired and stressed but in a good way. J was able to wrap up the last of the shopping and errands while I was at work and then he picked me up.

About half way home I started feeling not so great. I KNEW what it was - kidney stone - but I put all of my considerable skills of denial to work. Oh, I just need to drink some water, take a bath and lay down for a bit. This can't be happening, this ISN'T happening. Not now, on the eve of a big birthday celebration. Not now, when I have no insurance. Not now, when I have so many other, better things to be doing.

Fast forward a couple of hours and I gave in and had J drive me to the ER. I just couldn't handle the pain with ibuprofin and meditation and the stone wasn't passing. It was getting worse by the minute.

I haven't been to the ER in quite a while (like YEARS). It was such a different experience this time. I wasn't worried that they'd find out I was on pills, or on Suboxone. I wasn't worried that the pain meds wouldn't work. I wasn't worried about being accused of drug seeking. I went though triage and no one questioned my claim of being in pain AT ALL. No bitchy nurse interrogating me. They just believed me. They were so freaking nice to me, it almost made me a little paranoid. Is that what the ER is like for "normal" people? Holy crap!

They got me IV fluids, they got me pain meds, they got me a CT scan and they sent me on my way. And I haven't filled my scrip for the pain medication that they sent me home with. The meds in the ER did the trick and I won't fill the take-home one unless I need it.

I feel like a legitimate member of society again. And the experience brings it home to me again how powerful and necessasary opiates can be to alleiviate suffering. I'm glad that I was able to access that tonight, that I didn't have to pass that stone in agony, and that I was treated with kindness and dignity in the hospital - the very same hospital that I did scam for drugs during my active addiction. We ALL deserve the chance to redeem ourselves and I'm so very greatful that I got mine through Suboxone.

Goodnight!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bitchin'!!!

How are you feeling this morning? Has it passed yet?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think it probably passed but I'm not sure. I've had a couple of little twinges in my kidney area but otherwise I feel totally fine.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It's so cool to come here and see good news! I am happy that your experience was a good one...now get some rest and get to feeling better. Let J pamper you a little!!

One of my biggest fears moving forward is the what if's of future medical issues. What if I need surgery, what if I get hurt, what if I get really really sick...will they withhold medicine I truly will need or will I get hooked all over again and wind up back at square one???? For now I'm trying to focus only on what I have to do for today and let God take care of the rest of it for me.