It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Tahoma] [/font]

I did make the switch yesterday, but opps, too soon.....I was so sick I could not get out of bed except to run to the bathroom.....my mouth was so full of yuck too....glad that is over.....today I'm feeling better but not great......not well enough to go out and do anything....it's an effort to the smallest of tasks, like write this post....

I just wanted everyone nto know that I did as I said I was going to do...and switch.

I'm a little at my wits end about how much to take, and Isee this is a common issue......I took about 14mg yesterday, broken up over the day....today I've taken 8mg.....I think Imay need a biat more later....just to make sure all my receptors are covered......it confuses me a bit with the naloxone component....for eg. if I took 4mg and then 4mg 3 hrs later would I getany of the sub or would the naloxone from the first dose stop it....I'm serious this bugs me to know the answer....

anyway this is too hard to type so Iwill post later when I Feel more energetic.

Debra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:54 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi Debra,

The naloxone in Suboxone is poorly absorbed sublingually and is really only added to keep patients from grinding up their Suboxone and injecting it (which would, incidentally, precipitate acute opiate withdrawal symptoms). It won't have any significant deactivating effect on the buprenorphine if you take your Suboxone as prescribed.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have heard that since the opiod receptors have a much higher affinity for the bupe than for the Naloxone that it really has little to no effect no matter how the suboxone is taken. In other words, adding the Naloxone was a good idea to prevent abuse that doesn't work. I have read many stories of people who take their Suboxone by snorting the crushed tablets because it makes this expensive med last longer due to the higher bioavailability of taking it in this manner and I have not heard of one case where precipitated withdrawals have occured.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:37 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Of course snorting crushed Sub will work. That's the same as putting it under the tongue - letting it absorb thru your mucus membranes, Injecting crushed pills, however, is not quite the same, but that's not the main reason why Naloxone is added either. have you tried taking an opiate while on Suboxone? it doesnt's do anything. Like shooting up water. Moreover, it prolongs the mysery if you;re already in PWs. i have a 7 year long ridiculos heroin habit, about 5 grams _a day_, this is my second day of induction and although I feel no significant discomfort (cramps are gone, stomach is settled, nose is dry and comfy) i'm still pretty miserable. Hot and cold flashes, chills and general feeling of utter exhaustion. Don't have the strength to drag myself into shower.... too bad cause it helps I heard... Yesterday, btw, was a lot worse - although i came for my first dose, as advised, in mild w-drwl, shaking, sweating, etc., - felt horriblre after the first dose of 4 mgs, then after 15 mins another 4m then 8 and another 8 - still, muscle cramps, shake-n-bake, tears, pain, sweats, upset stomach, - not to compare to full blown cold turkey of course, but still, for a wimp like me - quite an unpleasant experience. Today most of the discomfort is gone, i feel like I'm recovering after a major illness, no energy weak appetite, but i hear it's normal - for someone with such long history of drug use and very high tolerance it's a ridiculosly low price to pay. (physically, I mean). And yeah, I broke down the minute I got bzck from the doctors office - broke out my stash and used a little, hoping the naloxone will not work. it does work. And thank heavens! Even now, feeling crummy as i do, I have no cravings for heroin and no desire to use. It just took me once to realize there're won't be a relief after an injection. The consequential chain has been broken, it's just not worth the efffort.

Ughm, digressed a little there... anyway, with subs - snorting is sort of OK, injecting- not really. some folks said injecting made the bupe work faster, but they were in full blown wthdrwl when they shot the pills, so I don't know what it will do for someone with only mild wdrwl symptoms. And another concern - if you're a long time IV user, you might have a problem finding a vein. While missing is nothing more of painful and irritating with heroin, with crushed pills it can cause you to lose a limb, Or throw a blood clot in your brain. Or heart. So my advice on that - as much a needle-lover as i am - do not mess with pills, take them as ordered.
Good luck and thank you for this amazing website!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi want2befree -

I'm so sorry your induction didn't go as planned. Are you doing this under the supervision of a doctor? I get the feeling you're doing this on your own. I don't want to belittle your efforts at recovery, but you really should be doing this with a doctor, if you're not. Ok, enough said on that.

As for the naloxone, it's only there to prevent abuse via injection (if it is injected, precipitated withdrawals will ensue). Very little naloxone is absorbed sublingually and it won't prevent the suboxone from attaching to your opiate receptors. Other opiates don't work when a person is on suboxone because it fully occupies the opiate receptors and other full agonists can't get to the receptors. (If that made sense.)

Please let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.