It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

so I called Medicaid, due to my insurance being cut, and they helped me renew my form but now I have to wait for them to process the application which took 6 months the last time they had to do this. I don't know what I'm gin to do! I have my sub appointment in less than 3 hrs. and no insurance. I can afford the appointment itself ($50) but my prescription is almost $900! I guess I'm not going to be given a choice to continue being clean. and I thought for once my children could be proud of me for something. I can not stand living in NY anymore. I've been depressed my entire life and nothing about NY helps with that. every chance they get they screw me over!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:20 pm 

Jlynnblla, very sorry you ve run into trouble here. I dont know how much sub you take, but can you cut your dose and pay cash for a few each day or week? All is not lost here. Your still clean, and you can stay that way. It is possable to take the bare min and still remove WD. I know it isnt easy but it can done. Others have done this too. and who knows, just maybe your ins will kick in sooner than you think. Suboxone is a very potent medication. Ive had to cut back a time or two myself. You do have a Choise in this. You can make thoses kids proud, you already are.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

razor55 wrote:
Jlynnblla, very sorry you ve run into trouble here. I dont know how much sub you take, but can you cut your dose and pay cash for a few each day or week? All is not lost here. Your still clean, and you can stay that way. It is possable to take the bare min and still remove WD. I know it isnt easy but it can done. Others have done this too. and who knows, just maybe your ins will kick in sooner than you think. Suboxone is a very potent medication. Ive had to cut back a time or two myself. You do have a Choise in this. You can make thoses kids proud, you already are.

I take 3- 8 mg suboxone film a day. I only have 1 to my name and no pharmacy around me will let you buy a little at a time. around here its buy it all or lose whatever you don't buy. this is why I hate NY. I have wanted to move for so long but my daughter LOVES her new school, so I don't have the heart to take her out

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:19 pm 

Do you think since your daughter is in school you could find a part time job (even under the table) to help make ends meet? My husband has had his job forever, so we never qualified for assistance, but money was extremely tight the first few years we were married and I had our son right away (a month before our 1st anniversary), so I had to help out. I didn't have a choice. So I was a part time nanny. I got paid under the table and only made $1000 per month, but it helped us enough so that we got the bills paid most months. I know a lot of people who have done child care or cleaned houses or something to bring some extra in. I'm just grateful that I never got hooked on smoking or anything like that, that would just suck money out of the budget. I know that people have to pay big bucks if they smoke.

There's got to be something you can do to improve your situation. Do you need some more ideas? I remember that feeling of not knowing how I was going to make it, but I always figured something out. I bet you're pretty resilient and you can make it work! :)

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

How did you lose your insurance? COBRA allows you to continue it on your own until Medicaid kicks in, though that might be prohibitively expensive.

Have you ever used the Suboxone coupons? For 24 mg/day, the coupon gives a $230 discount per month for people without insurance. I know it is still very expensive, but thought to mention it in case you don't know about it. You get the coupon from their website.

I'm no expert, but if I were in your situation I would try my hardest to find a way to scrape up the $700 for a month's supply and cut back to 8 mg to make it last 3 months and hope that Medicaid will kick in by then.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:12 pm 

You could also ask the doctor if he could prescribe a cheaper alternative for this month. I have no idea what the difference in price is for suboxone, zubsolv, or bunavail, but they all have a coupon and they all contain buprenorphine and naloxone, just like suboxone.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also the company has a 'here to help' patient assistance program. If your income is below 250% of poverty line and you have no insurance, you can fill out some forms with your doctor and get a card to get the medication free for awhile. There is a limit on how many such patients any doctor can have at a time, 3 I think.This seems to be current info, though our family doesn't use the program and it seems things change all the time. Like the value of the monthly coupon they have to help with copay on insurance dropped from $50 to $25 this January. But it's worth checking into if you meet the income guidelines.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:19 pm 

Yes, it is 3 patients of their 100 patient limit.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

WonderstruckMom wrote:
Also the company has a 'here to help' patient assistance program. If your income is below 250% of poverty line and you have no insurance, you can fill out some forms with your doctor and get a card to get the medication free for awhile. There is a limit on how many such patients any doctor can have at a time, 3 I think.This seems to be current info, though our family doesn't use the program and it seems things change all the time. Like the value of the monthly coupon they have to help with copay on insurance dropped from $50 to $25 this January. But it's worth checking into if you meet the income guidelines.

hmm never heard of that. maybe I can run to my doctors today and speak with him about it. I know I'm definitely below 250% of poverty. we have had a hard year. we were separated for almost a year so social services helped me pay my rent. and now that we got back together I dropped the help and they're taking money from his check every week to pay them back. hopefully I can get it. do you know how long it takes to get an answer? how long I the application? also where can I get the application?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
Do you think since your daughter is in school you could find a part time job (even under the table) to help make ends meet? My husband has had his job forever, so we never qualified for assistance, but money was extremely tight the first few years we were married and I had our son right away (a month before our 1st anniversary), so I had to help out. I didn't have a choice. So I was a part time nanny. I got paid under the table and only made $1000 per month, but it helped us enough so that we got the bills paid most months. I know a lot of people who have done child care or cleaned houses or something to bring some extra in. I'm just grateful that I never got hooked on smoking or anything like that, that would just suck money out of the budget. I know that people have to pay big bucks if they smoke.

There's got to be something you can do to improve your situation. Do you need some more ideas? I remember that feeling of not knowing how I was going to make it, but I always figured something out. I bet you're pretty resilient and you can make it work! :)

Amy

all the ideas I could get would help! I have been trying to get a job for a while. it's just hard to get one due to my husbands work hours and we only have one car. and no babysitter. once we get our taxes were putting my van on the road and he will use that for work and I'll use our other car for whatever I need. I just wish we got our income tax now. if we did I wouldn't have a problem paying for them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

WonderstruckMom wrote:
How did you lose your insurance? COBRA allows you to continue it on your own until Medicaid kicks in, though that might be prohibitively expensive.

Have you ever used the Suboxone coupons? For 24 mg/day, the coupon gives a $230 discount per month for people without insurance. I know it is still very expensive, but thought to mention it in case you don't know about it. You get the coupon from their website.

I'm no expert, but if I were in your situation I would try my hardest to find a way to scrape up the $700 for a month's supply and cut back to 8 mg to make it last 3 months and hope that Medicaid will kick in by then.

I lost it because I was ONE day late recertifying. I have been a week late before but they have NEVER cut my insurance. I have a suboxone coupon that takes $175 off the price. but that's still over $700 I would have to pay. I'm trying to sell things I've been trying to get rid of for months. plus trying to take on ANY job I can get.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

https://www.suboxone.com/treatment-plan/patient-support

The company doesn't describe the program here. I can't find the place on their site where the program and process is well laid out. Perhaps once you start filling in info and get further into it you'll see more than on this first page? I read about it on various drug addiction sites and forums. They say the doctor fills out part of the application. The first thing to find out would be whether your doctor has 3 patients already, if that is the limit. Maybe he would know how long the process takes, or you could call the company and ask about it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Actually that 'here to help' thing may be also about connecting patients with various resources. They just don't advertise the availability of free medication. You may have to call them and speak to your doctor, unless someone here who is in the program knows how to connect you with more info. Sorry I don't know more about this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

***UPDATE***

ok so I have called the state everyday since I got my recert in and I called today expecting to hear the same thing an they said my insurance is active. so I run to my pharmacy to get my script and they said my insurance isn't working. so I called mvp healthcare and they said I can't use them until march but I should have straight Medicaid this month and that that should work now. so I have the pharmacy try my Medicaid and it wouldn't go through either. so now I have to wait for dss to call me back. this is my 2nd day without being able to fill my script. along with my suboxone I have my anti-depressant that I haven't had now in 2 days that needs to be picked up. and I can already feel the affects of not having my meds!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

***ANOTHER UPDATE***

I got the call from the d.s.s worker. I have straight Medicaid through NY and she said she doesn't think Medicaid covers suboxone anymore. does anyone know if this is true? I won't have MVP health until next month. I can't afford my script as it costs almost $900! I'm almost out of subs all together!