It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Robin said, "I hope you have a FABulous day doll!", aw shucks, you called me doll........I just turned 15 shades of red!!! :lol: :lol: I hope you have a Fantabulous day too doll!

So, I got out a couple of times today, more than I have over the last several weekends, but it's like I wore myself out emotionally? I didn't do a whole lot, but feel kind of drained?? Can anybody relate to what I just said?? If so, will the Wellbutrin continue to make me feel better......like when will I know the Wellbutrin has done all it can do??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

One thing you will learn when dealing with a "mental illness" (I hate to use that word, but it is what it is) is that you really have pay close attention to the details of your day. Let me explain. It's almost like keeping a journal. When you are feeling bad you have to look back at the last 24 hours or more to see if you have done anything different. Sometimes I will complety crash and can't figure out why (even with my meds), then I will look back on my week and realize it's been a much more stressful week than the norm or I'm not getting enough sleep or eating bad or a ton of things. It really dose work. I personally don't keep a journal but I e trained myself to take mental notes of my daily routines so when I do crash I can see where I went wrong. It does not always work but it has helped. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey smoothy, I appreciate the advice. I've been noticing that my afternoons seem to be the most troublesome for me....when I skip lunch!! I know, D'uh, eh?

This afternoon was very interesting for me, I could feel my emotions trying to tank, of course I skipped lunch today too. The weird thing is this, as I could feel my mood trying to tank, something was preventing it? I mean over the course of a half hour or so I kept feeling my mood trying to bottom out, but it never really budged from where I was?? Kind of hard to explain, but I figured it was the Wellbutrin doing its thing. It was a pretty weird sensation. I wasn't even consciously trying to prevent my mood from falling, it just never was able to fall!!

I know this much though, I don't need to be skipping lunch anymore and testing the boundaries of the effectiveness of Wellbutrin. That's playing with fire and I've played with fire enough in my life......that shit burns!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: wellbutrin
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey Romeo,

Thank you so much for your honesty on here regarding your thoughts/feelings. I just started taking Wellbutrin 3 weeks ago. I got to the point after jumping off sub where I was really ruining some relationships around me. I am not sure if it was PAWS, pregnancy, getting off all meds too quick, but I needed something. My whole reasoning for jumping off subs was to be med free, and it was a little discouraging at first.

But, I have to say, from Day 1 of taking the Wellbutrin most of my lingering symptoms from jumping off subs disappeared. I had energy, motivated, overall good feelings. The second day didn't seem as intense, but wow did it ever work fast. I have struggled with anxiety on it, but was dealing with that before too. I was willing to deal with that over depression any day, though. I look back at the last 3 weeks and what I have accomplished, how I have treated people, my overall mental state, and I know that I made the right choice.

My sub doctor did not prescribe me the Wellbutrin..my OB did because it is safer for pregnancy and I was still trying to stop smoking too. My sub doctor said that Wellbutrin is an "add-on" usually for SSRI's as it can cause some major anxiety, and not help it. She wanted me to try it a month, then if I was still anxious go on Zoloft. I am doing pretty good on it, and notice that I am leveling out after 3 weeks, so don't want to make any changes.

So, any way, you are not alone for noticing that it works quick. I have talked to a couple of other people on here who said the same thing. Please keep us posted as to your progress. I have never been so low as I was after I jumped sub, and it scared me. I am glad you are talking about it, and getting help for your recovery :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:17 pm 
Hi Romeo, just stopping by to say HI and hope you are having a great day!

robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey valleygirl, thanks for sharing all of that with me. I really identify with everything you said, well, except for the part about being pregnant, I ain't never been preggers and I'm glad I won't ever be!!! :lol: You really amaze me with how strong you are. You're pregnant and you quit Suboxone and you had the courage to admit that you needed some help with the wd/PAWS/depression and you got on Wellbutrin. Good for you!

Robin, you're so sweet, thanks for saying hi and wishing me a great day, right back at ya!!

My day was good. I have noticed a little bit of anxiety on the Wellbutrin too, nothing to write home about, but it's present. My mood seemed to wander a little bit this afternoon, so I grabbed a snack and BAM, felt great again. I've been working at shedding some extra weight that I had gained last year, I'm within 5lbs of where I want to be and those last 5lbs are a Bee-aw-tch to get rid of, so, I've been eating very little and it's finally clicking for me how being hungry a lot has been contributing to my mood tanking. Several times over the last few days I have grabbed a snack when I feel my mood dipping and I always feel better until it's time for my next meal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 pm 
ROMEO Is anyone else you know of super hungry while on Suboxone? I have a mad appetite for carbs!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]ROBIN[/font], the day I started taking Suboxone my tastes and appetite changed dramatically, I craved Kentucky Fried Chicken like no one's business......I had ate there maybe 4 times in my life previously. Actually, when I started opiates in general my appetite increased. Food tasted better, fried foods anyway.

I'm not to sure of anyone else being real hungry while on Suboxone? I don't remember that topic being discussed here?

Anyone else notice their appetite change while on Suboxone? Anyone, anyone, anyone? (that was my impression of the teacher in Ferris Bueller's Day Off......Bueller, Bueller, Bueller......*sigh*, I know, I better keep my day job, right? LOL!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:27 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Subs made me eat less and eat healthier..............I never had snacks in the house when I was on subs.......now seroquel is another story.. I take it at night and my dr did tell me ( I have always been very thin) that it blocks the part of the brain that tells you you had enough to eat and many mornings I wake up up with remnants of binge eating ( candy wrappers at halloween, prezel crumbs stuff like that) while half asleep .

I quit cigs right before the subs so that could be why I gained 10 lbs ( not that I couldnt use the weight) I am just not sure but I am making a conscoius effort to eat better again. I workout every day and have for years and I can feel the difference in the gym when I eat healthy and when I dont.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know two people who came out of heroin addiction and went on to lead normal lives. Well, one is my hubby who used for as long as I did, then tapered off with sub in 4 months then stopped and never used again. Worked the whole time. Lucky fucker.

The other is someone I used to work with, a female. It took her 2 years to get back to normal, to being happy. She didn't use bupe or ADs.

It will just take time for your brain to readjust. I know that for me no AD will work, at least not for long. I tried many before and it always lead to disaster. Any drug I put into my body changes me into something worse. I have been diagnosed with lots of stuff, PTSD, bipolar and more. PTSD is the only one I personally accept, it was a diagnosis done after months of therapy by a UC Berkley psychologist. Other ones were by my sub doc who saw me for 5 minutes one a month and was "nice" enough to offer me shit like dexedrine. I felt like a Guinean pig with him. I am so happy I don't take sub anymore so I don't have to see him.

I am over 2 weeks off sub and very slowly seeing changes. Lack of energy, poor sleep is what I have still. Just not interested in anything. I don't want to do anything, even lay down or watch TV.

At least my family gave me an ultimatum...6+ months of rehab or get a job. I will be looking big time. Whatever the job is.

I got this from Dr. Weil's wesite:
Quote:
I recommend the following measures for mild to moderate depression. (Severe depression requires management by qualified mental health professionals)

L-tyrosone

Aerobic exercise: I don't think there's any better approach to relieving mild to moderate depression. For best results, I recommend at least 30 minutes of continuous activity at least five days a week.
Omega-3 fatty acids: This essential fatty acid is found in fish such as salmon and sardines, plus walnuts and freshly ground flaxseeds, and in fish oil supplements. Preliminary research suggests that omega-3s may help support and maintain a healthy brain. Try taking a fish oil supplement at a dose of two to three grams a day to start; make sure it gives you both EPA and DHA in an approximate ratio of 3 or 4 to 1. Also make sure you're getting 2 to 3 grams of omega-3'S, not of total oil.
Try acupuncture : This traditional therapy is recognized by the World Health Organization as an effective treatment for mild to moderate depression
Relaxation techniques. The regular practice of breathing exercises, meditation and yoga can help relieve depression.
Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Both can interfere with normal moods and aggravate depression.
St. John's wort. Standardized extracts of this herbal remedy have shown an effectiveness equaling Prozac in the treatment of mild to moderate depression. Take 300 mg of an extract, standardized to 0.3% hypericin and 5% hyperforin, three times a day with food.
SAM-e. This supplement works faster than St. John's wort. Use only the butanedisulfonate form in enteric-coated tablets, or in capsules. Try 400-1,600 mg a day on an empty stomach.
B vitamins. The B vitamins, especially folic acid and vitamin B6, can be helpful in relieving mild depression. (They also can increase the efficacy of prescription anti-depressants.)
Check your meds. Make sure you aren't taking any of these over-the-counter or prescription medications that can contribute to depression: antihistamines, tranquilizers, sleeping pills and narcotics can all make matters worse.
Psychotherapy: Cognitive behavioral therapy can be especially helpful.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Zyggy,

I had heard about it taking up to two years to get "right" after getting off of opiates too. I promised myself when I quit Suboxone that I would give my brain two years to heal, I kept hanging on and hanging on, I made it 1 year and 2 months, but that damn lack of motivation would improve slightly, then it'd go in the tank, it'd improve slightly, then go in the tank again. The last few episodes where I crashed had me thinking of using opiates again and I said a great big HELL NO to that!! That's what finally pushed me to get on Wellbutrin.

I do not want to stay on Wellbutrin indefinitely and I will be looking at some of the things you posted from Dr. Weil to help me when I do decide to quit the Wellbutrin. Thank you so much for sharing all that information with me, I've already copied it and pasted it to my desktop.

Congratulations on 2 weeks off of Suboxone Zyggy! Keep hanging in there, it gets better.....it does take time though.

*sigh*, I know it's none of my business, but I wish you would consider some rehab. You obviously know you a whole lot better than I know you and if rehab just ain't for you, then so be it. I just don't want to see you get clean then end up relapsing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, it has only been 2 weeks for me but I am seeing BIG differences in how I am.

I actually shower now and leave the house. I am not depressed or anxious which I was on sub, I was just scared to stop. I can smell stuff which causes me to clean and in the past I had to be on dexedrine or high dose methadone or dope to do that (when on opiates not before).

My family is pushing for rehab but its on the other side of the country in SoCali. I'd rather get a job and stay at home and go to meetings, which is a choice I have.

I have already been "out" for the last 3 years I don't want to take another 6-12 month break from my family. I want to contribute and make up for the lost time. I don't need a break or vacation or for anyone to teach me how to live or run my life.

It's also a religious based program. The only religion I have ever been able to accept was Buddhism. And the place is like centered on Protestant beliefs in one God. Do I lie for all these months? I tried Christian religion, really hard but it just never made sense to me.

I feel so much more alive each day. When I wake up I welcome each new day instead of dreading it and its only been 2 weeks.

Today I made dinner. Big thing for me. Tomorrow I will do more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hear ya bud, I really do. I hope I wasn't coming off as too pushy. I just wanna see you succeed. Rehab isn't for you and I support you in that decison. (Like you give a rat's ass if I support you in that decision!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

You said you can smell stuff now, I know what you mean. It's like my nose came alive again after quitting Suboxone.....at times I wasn't so thrilled with all the smells though!! :lol:

Congratulations on making dinner today, I DO know what an accomplishment that is for you because I stopped doing a lot of simple things like that too. The one that bugs me the most is the time I did not spend with my daughter over the years, but I'm making up for it. I just got back from her soccer game......they got blown out of the water BTW, it was like 18 - 0, we almost scored once, but one of our players faces stopped the ball.....that poor kid got knocked into next week.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Romeo!!! You helped me so much when I was dealing with the acute withdrawl and your words gave me what I needed for that day to keep going - I'll always remember your name (at least your screen name - lol).

Thanks in part to you and also some close friends and a recovery program that works for me, I am 7 months free of Suboxone today!! I've had depression all my life and was actually diagnosed with "major depression w/ suicidality" about 6 years ago. I understand the stigma and I wish I didn't have depression on top of addiction, but that's just how it is with me and when I finally accepted that, life got alot easier.

I've been taking Wellbutrin for years and it has worked better for me than any other antidepressant we tried. All I take each day now is 150mg Wellbutrin, 50mg Zoloft, and my thyroid medication. Not even sure if I still need the Zoloft, so I've been weaning from 100mg to 50mg. Anyhow, it all seems to be working great right now. I can't remember when I've felt happier. But I must admit, I worry about the cold, grey weather coming because that's when my depression sneaks up on me and its a bitch! Not something I can talk myself out of either, I just have to ride it out and it scares me. Much of my using, I believe, was self medicating for years.

My way of looking at things now is to enjoy each day to the fullest because I really don't know what tomorrow will bring and to remember that after every dark time, there is a bright time (and without the lows, I wouldn't appreciate the highs as much). Anyhow, glad to see you are still clean buddy!

Best regards,
Bobbi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Bobbi, I really appreciate it.

It's REALLY good to hear from you again, I'm so glad to hear that you have 7 months off of Suboxone. Happy 7 month birthday!! You sound like you're doing really well, that's so fantastic to hear!

I hope the grey weather doesn't bring you down too much. It used to bother me, but not so much anymore. I'm just glad the 100 degree heat and 100% humidity broke and we get to enjoy some decent temperatures now!!

I'll never forget your screen name either......it's so dang long!!! LOL!!

Take care of yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Romeo.I am just reading this and I know its a little older.Are you still on Wellbutrin? How are you doing on it? I have taken that med several times and if it werent for the side effects I would still take it. Wellbutrin works differently than a conventional AD,as you probably already know and its not a traditional SSRI.You DO NOT have to wait the typical 4-6 wks to feel it working.WB can be felt in as little as a couple days.After taking it 4 times I can attest to that and it happened each and every time.I really researched it and asked my Dr for it due to the Dopamine affect and narcotic users lack that big time when they quit.I was secretly hoping aslo it would help me stop using and of course only the sub has done that.Just wondering if I could get an update on how you are doing on it.I took 300 mg.Also an important thing to note-it is expensive.I took the name brand only because Wellbutrin and others,Zoloft,the generic has been tested and is nowheres near the quality or effect of the name brand.My hub is on Zoloft and went into wd after trying generic.To get the full affect,please get the name brand.It was around 225 a month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi melijm,

The Wellbutrin worked great for me, like you said, it only took a day or two for me to start to feel it working. I guess I took it for a month or so. I just stopped taking it here a week ago.

Like my previous posts mention, I was cycling down WAY low in the mood department.....it flattened those cycles out pretty quickly.

I had never intended to stay on it long term because I just don't think my depression is severe enough. I go through bouts of depression here and there and that's mainly what I'm gonna try using it for. Truthfully, I want to learn how to manage my depression without meds, but if my symptoms get as severe as they were about 6 weeks ago, I'll start right back on the Wellbutrin.

I hope I answered your questions. I've been kinda sick today and my brain is out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Romeo hey man just getting around to reading other things here. First wanted to thank you big time for the help you have and are continuing to give me. Second, dude I’ve been on anti’s for 6 years now definitely nothing to be ashamed of

Anyway I’ve been on 4 different kinds to try and find the right one for me. Welbutrin was the second one I tried and let me tell you that 4-6 week thing DOES NOT apply to Wellbutrin….but I’m sure you already know that now. I felt that stuff in days if not hours. I actually had to change to something else just because it was so powerful, meaning I could feel each dose. But I’m glad it’s working for you because some people (like me) spend a lot of time trying to figure out which one is right. Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You ARE awesome ROROENGLEBERT.......you know your stuff and you know what to do. You my friend, should be a moderator. Hey, are you gonna be at Dr Js forum on "the forum" tomorrow SAT, at noon? He is in Texas so central time, if you can stop by, I personally can't wait.
xoxoxo R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Robbie,

I don't think I'll be able to make the forum on the forum tomorrow. If you make it, will you post about it??