It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:55 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi. I've been on suboxone for about 5 years now, and haven't had any relapses thus far so overall I am very happy with Subox. I've been on as much as 20 mgs but today, I only take 6 mgs per da, a ddose I've been on for years.

However, around 2 or 3pm I get this awful feeling like I have no energy, I have no interest in anything and I am usually in a bad mood. I take 2 mgs at 745am, 2 mgs at noon and 2 mgs at 6pm. I have been dealing with this for a while and I'm thinking of just completely going off of suboxone completely but I'd rather stay on it bc of this positive effects.

The interesting thing is that on the weekends, I take dose 1 at noon, dose 2 at 3pm and dose 3 at 6pm. I feel perfectly fine on the weekends. I get the same amount of sleep on the weekend and on the weekdays, and I'm awake for the same amount of time so I'm scratching my head a bit. If anyone has any tips please please let me know!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dose during the week like you do on the weekends. BAM, problem solved.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thx for the reply. Ha I wish it were that easy. I wake up at 7am during the week whereas I wake up at like 1130am on the weekends so I can't wait 4 hours in the morning during the week ya know? I've tried spacing the doses like I do on the weekends, no luck,same old feeling.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:06 pm 

Hi djo10,

Are you splitting your doses because of pain? Or is it because you have a fast metabolism?

Suboxone is supposed to be taken once per day. The half life is 37 hours so you shouldn't feel any withdrawals. I had the same problem 2 years ago and thought it'd be hard to only dose once, but it wasn't hard at all.

My Sub Dr. told me to take it once per day at 10 AM. By doing it that way it was easier to taper down until I didn't feel tired as much during the day. How about trying that and see how you feel.

Just tryin' to help. Take my 2ยข or leave it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Exactly.

As someone who hears people talk about how they feel, day after day... complaints about feeling up or down at various times of the day are very common-- in people on buprenorphine and in people who are not on medications at all. My conclusion is just my own-- but it seems to me that those of us with addictions tend to obsess over how we 'feel'-- perhaps because of all that time waiting for withdrawal to start or end.

People often tell me that they feel tired in the afternoon-- around 2 or 3 PM--- especially if they don't have something keeping them busy and distracted. I think that a great 'cure' is exercise; people who exercise seem to be better able to ignore the constant, uncomfortable sensations throughout the body.

buprenorphine not only lasts a long time, but it also takes an hour or more to get absorbed. When someone is dosing as frequently as you describe, people start to misinterpret the feelings. For example, the 2 PM dose is just fully getting absorbed at 4 PM; if a person feels tired at 4 PM he thinks the problem is the drug wearing off, when in reality the problem may be a high level of buprenorphine causing some sedation.

My 2 cents...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It could be as simple as you saying you get up at 7 during the week and sleep till 1130 on the weekends, so it might just be a case of you are naturally tired. Its pretty normal to feel that way at 2-3pm if you wake at 7am, its common enough to have its own nickname "the 2:30 feeling" so its possible thats all it is. It would make sense because if dosing like you do on the weekend doesnt change anything then the only other variable I can see from the limited info I have to go on is that you get up way earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:00 pm 

One more thing. During the week you are busy working and don't notice being tired. On the weekends you're in more of a chill mode so you notice being tired. If I keep busy during the day with work or chores I don't need a nap. If I'm reading or watching TV I'll feel drowsy by 2 or 3 PM. BTW, I've always been a nap person.

We haven't heard back. How are you doing?