It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was talking to one of my moms friends, she was on suboxone, oh and sorry hello to all my recovering brothers and sisters on here. Anyway she said she waited till she got down to 1/4 of a pill for a time she was on suboxone for a total of 15 months and on 1/4 of it for a month before she did this. She called her doctor and got a script of 10/325 norcos and she bit them in half after the time when the suboxone was wearing off. She said she used like only 10 pills and she never had another withdrawal pan after that. I know it is not a good move to make but i do not see how it would work nor and I advising anyone to do this. Also how low is it ok for the jumping off point for suboxone so you go through the bear minimum?? I know no one here is a doctor but someone has to have some slight info!! Thanks and good luck all my friends

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Im just amazed a Dr went along with this and gave her the ok with a script of norcos to boot.

Post subject: Wow can't believe
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:16 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Now to me...that IS trading one drug for another!!

Slipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Some people are just lucky with withdrawal in general. Some people get straight off Suboxone and have very little withdrawal.

It's really hard to predict withdrawal duration and effect when there's opioid switching. I don't think doctors know much about it either at this stage.

I once thought it would be a good idea to get back on heroin to help me get off Sub. I swapped the Sub for heroin for 2 weeks before going to an inpatient detox, because in the past I found heroin withdrawal was only 7 days as opposed to 2 weeks for Sub, and the clinic wanted people out in 7 days so were apprehensive taking people on methadone and Suboxone.

When admitted to the detox the doc thought my amazing switch idea was ludicrous, and used a 7 day bupe detox to get me off the heroin I was using to help get me off the Sub in the first place. After the 7 day taper I was given, I was SICK. It was like the real detox kicked in. I was in there 2-3 weeks when I should have been there in just one. I remember being dragged to bullshit groups for two weeks and curling up in the corner on top of the heat vent with the shivers while everyone else was getting healthy and getting discharged. The doctor didn't make sense of it.

The happened there was a bit different. But my lesson learned is it's hard to predict what will happen when opioids are switched like that. If someone switched bupe for an opioid with a shorter half life for a couple of weeks, then jumped off, in theory any withdrawal should be shorter - ie 7 days instead of 14. That's because duration of withdrawal is related to the half-life of opioids left in your body - ie shorter half life = shorter withdrawal. Most of the bupe would be excreted after a couple of weeks on a shorter acting opioid, so any withdrawal after jumping off should be that of the shorter half-life agonist.

But IMO it's hardly worth the increased risk of relapse by getting involved with agonists again, and stuff is really unpredictable. Just keep it simple IMO, harden up and do a Suboxone taper.