It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Weird question :/
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So I take subutex, which is pill form. The same as suboxone I have to put under my tongue and dissolve. It takes longer... But whatever... Onto my weird problem. So I had just put in my meds and had my puppy on my lap. Something funny happened and I was trying to not laugh and failed. I ended up spitting my meds everywhere... Including my puppies face. What happens if my dog gets this in his mouth??? I mean really.... What if he ingests it? It's not like I can go to the vet and explain this! Most human docs don't know much about this medicine much less a vet!

Post subject: Re: Weird question :/
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

unless he puts it under his tongue, probably not much. The bioavailability of bup from the stomach is low.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mizmell, that scare me to death! I too have dogs and a cat as well. 2 dogs 1 cat. I worry a lot when my dog starts licking on my arm or leg bc I am afraid that the Suboxone comes out in the skin and will make my animals sick. Am I being silly for worrying about this or is there some logic behind this thought. Also my cat seems to like to lick on my arm more now that I'm on Suboxone. She is old and has stomach issues and has to eat a special type food so she doesn't get sick. I really get worried when she does this. I've noticed she does this ALOT since I've been on Suboxone. Maby she is just happy I'm clean and wants to just give me kisses all the time. Anybody else with cats notice this behavior?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think it's inconceivable for saliva, filled with buprenorphine, to have an impact on an animal (or child). Remember that 8 mg of buprenorphine is a very large dose for someone with zero opioid tolerance. An adult would get about 0.05 mg IV as a 'pain dose'-- and assuming 25% bioavailability, that much would be absorbed if about 2% if a person's dissolved dose got into the oral cavity of another animal. If 8 mg is dissolved in a teaspoon of saliva, a drop would be enough to transfer a therapeutic dose. The dose wouldn't kill the animal, and even a full dose would have the same ceiling effect as in humans-- but it could cause problems, especially if the animal had respiratory or airway problems.

But I would not be concerned about a pet licking your skin. There is a common misperception out there thay buprenorphine or methadone wear off quicker if a person 'sweats them out'. But sweat is created in sweat glands; it isn't the body 'leaking'. If moderate-size molecules like buprenorphine leaked out in sweat, then we would lose all sorts of other molecules as well, including the sugar and amino acids that circulate in our blood, that are necessary to our survival. The testing is so sensitive these days that I suspect traces of buprenorphine could be found if measured closely-enough-- but there would not be enough buprenorphine on your skin to have any effect on an animal or child.

There are some drugs that cause problems through skin contact with children-- especially steroid hormones. But that occurs when the drugs are applied to the skin of one person, and then that surface is in contact with someone else-- before the drug is fully absorbed. I don't know of any drug that is taken in large-enough dose to impact a separate person through skin contact... but maybe someone else knows of an example?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there Subdoc! So nice to have you weigh in on this subject. I am learning so much more that I ever thought I would about Suboxone from you/ your forum and Talk zone. Am dying to get your book in my hands. I am one of those kinda of obsessed with Suboxone after feeling the effects first hand. Wish I could get involved in a study where Suboxone or that type drug being studied in patients for treating Chronic pain. I got the thumbs up today from my Dr. that I can be on Suboxone long term for chronic pain. You can just imagine how excited I was to here that! I've been on pain meds since age 20 after a horrific car accident. 25 yrs. Come to find out, I've been walking around in withdrawals the majority of time, LOL and now to find a meds that treats withdrawals, helps with chronic pain, and now I find out I may be able to take forever. I'm super excited. So as long as the government keeps things like they are now. I'll be in good shape. What a long strange trip it's been. Just praying the government stay out of it and let the Dr.'s do their jobs... We will see :?